A Touch of Patriotic Spirit by Kristen Fife Nick picked up the phone when it rang. He had just come downstairs from a fitful day of sleep. His just-poured glass of blood still sitting on the counter, he grabbed the phone before the answering machine kicked in. "Knight here." His voice was still deep from sleep disuse. He heard loud noises in the background, like a large crowd; he hoped it wasn't the precinct calling him in on his night off. He had worked six nights straight and really needed a night off. "Nick! Happy Canada Day! You have GOT to come down here!" Natalie's voice was bubbling over, filled with happiness. He smiled just to hear it. "Where ARE you, Nat?" "I'm down at Nathan Phillips Square. You should see Don and Myra trying to keep up with Jenny! I swear that kid can run circles around us all. She's been on every ride at least once, and most of them twice. We're pooped but she's still up for more!" Nick chuckled at the vision of his partner and family. He turned around and glanced at the clock, it was just after 6 and sunset wouldn't be for another few hours. "Nat, it sounds like fun. But the sun doesn't set for several hours. I have no idea how I'll find you. I'm sure it's packed." "Not a problem. Schanke is wearing a giant foam maple leaf for a hat. And I mean GIANT.it must be almost a meter across. I haven't seen anyone else wearing one like it. Please say you'll come? The fireworks display is supposed to be phenomenal. There was some kind of a competition earlier this year in Kingston and the display tonight is from the company that won the competition." Nick had started smiling at the thought of Schanke's headgear. "OK, OK, I'll come. Can you try and meet me at the fountain around 9:15? Do you need me to bring some lawn chairs so we can sit for the fireworks?" "No, we have some with us. They're in the Schankemobile. Yes, we'll be at the fountain at 9:15. Oh, and don't forget to wear red and white! See you then!" Nat hung up the phone. Nick grinned at her enthusiasm. He had forgotten that it was July 1. Being someone who moved around a lot, he rarely got into the patriotic spirit of whatever country he was in. But both Canada and the US, being relatively young countries, celebrated their respective birthdays with gusto. He went to finish his breakfast and then throw a load of laundry in so his red shirt would be clean for the festivities. Three hours later, Nick landed in an alley several blocks from the Square. The Caddy was parked five blocks from the loft. Nick hadn't counted on the holiday traffic. It had taken him almost twenty minutes to drive five blocks. He finally had pulled the car over and gone down an alley and taken to the air. He walked the intervening distance to the square and pushed his way through the crowds to the fountain, trying to see the telltale gigantic maple leaf headgear of his partner. Finally spotting it on the far side of the fountain, he quickly ambled over. Walking up behind Natalie, he snaked his arms around her waist and pulled her close to nuzzle his face in her hair and murmur a greeting in her ear. She squawked, then relaxed, realizing it was him just as Myra greeted him. "Nick, you made it! Happy Canada Day!" Her smile was bright. "Hi Myra, good to see you. Happy Canada Day to you too. Love the shirt." He grinned at her. The t-shirt had red and white stripes with tiny alternating maple leaves running through the stripes. It was busy but looked good on the petite brunette. Natalie had relaxed into his arms, and she turned her face to kiss his cheek. "Hi Nick, I'm glad you could make it." Schanke turned to look at his partner. "Nick! Good to see you buddy! Wow, you even got into the spirit! Way to go." He smiled wide, nodding his approval of Nick's red shirt and white pants. For his own part, Nick just started laughing when he saw Schanke's getup. The gigantic hat alone would have been enough, but Schanke was covered in red maple leaves from top to bottom, and the fabric of his shirt, shorts, and socks were all different patterns. It was very.patriotic. "Nice showing of the patriotic spirit, Schank. So, where is the whirlwind?" He looked around for Jenny, just as she came barreling up to the group of adults. "Wow, that was COOL!" She turned to Natalie, her eyes glowing from the ride she had just gotten off of. She saw Nick and squealed. "Uncle Nick, you made it!" She ran over to Nick and flung her arms around him, just as he managed to pull away from Natalie. "Hey Kiddo, I hear you've been going on all the rides. Having fun?" He grinned at her and tousled her hair. "You bet! Hey, are you scared of heights? No one will take me on the Ferris wheel.they don't like the way the cars swing.I bet YOU wouldn't be afraid." She pleaded with him, her tone and big green eyes wheedling him. "No, I'm not afraid of heights. I'll take you. But what time to do the fireworks start, we don't want to miss them?" "Oh, they don't start for almost an hour. C'mon, let's GO!" She tugged his hand and dragged him away from the other grinning adults. They headed for the Ferris wheel, and the line went quickly. Jenny fairly bounced with energy, and Nick could see why Nat and the Schanke's would be exhausted. Jenny rambled on non-stop about the rides, the games, the food, and the carnival atmosphere in general. Finally they got into the seat, and Nick could understand why some mortals might be a little nervous. There really wasn't a lot of stability to the contraption. He wondered what made children so fearless.? They started going around with Jenny craning her head in every direction, pointing out the lights of Toronto and asking Nick what certain things were if she didn't know. "Look Uncle Nick, there's the CN Tower! It looks really cool. Maybe next year we can got watch the fireworks from the observation deck!" Nick didn't have the heart to tell her that the observation deck was closed on Canada Day, but that got him to thinking. As their turn on the Ferris wheel ended, Nick led her back to the fountain, and pulled Natalie aside. "Hey, I have a surprise for you. Do you mind if we go see the fireworks somewhere else?" She looked at him, her eyes glinting with mischief. "Sure. Let me go tell Myra we're heading off for something. They drove so I don't need my car." She went back over to the Schankes who were discussing where to set up their seats for the fireworks. "Hey Don, Myra, Nick and I are going to go grab his chair from the Caddy. We 'll meet you back here." "Natalie, you guys better hurry. The fireworks will be starting in about 15 minutes!" Myra stated. "Don't worry, we'll be right back." She went back to Nick. "OK, they think we're going to the Caddy to get a lawn chair for you. Where to? We don't have a lot of time." He grinned at her. "No worries. Come with me." He took her hand and they threaded their way through the crowds to the end of the square, then walked a few blocks away, and ducked down an alley behind two skyscrapers. Nick picked her up and took to the air. Natalie screamed in surprised delight. They flew to the CN Tower, and he landed on the outside of the observation deck just as the music playing "Oh Canada" began and the first fireworks started. He gently lowered her feet, and turned her around to watch the fireworks. Natalie was mesmerized by the view. The fireworks looked like they were right in front of them instead of hundreds of meters above them. They stood watching the display for almost an hour. When it was over and only the lights of the city twinkled below them, she turned in his arms. "Nick, that was amazing, thank you so much!" She reached up and kissed him gently on the lips. "You're welcome. I thought you might enjoy the view." He smiled at her, happy to have been able to help her celebrate. He felt a swell of pride, and realized that he felt more patriotism for Canada than any other country he had lived in for several centuries, and realized it had everything to do with being "home."