Disclaimers, don't own FK or the lyrics to Sarah McLachlan's 'Sweet Surrender,' no infringement intended. Permission to archive granted to Mel and the DP, anyone else please ask. *This is actually from a challenge that dropped on the DP list, but if I tell you what it is now it'll ruin the story, so read it first. The challenge is at the end :) Sweet Surrender By: Cousin Mary (Jenkins) He hadn't meant for her to notice. Lacroix sighed and flipped the switch that would broadcast his words across the black Toronto night. He kept his monologue away from the topics that had filled it for months... obsession, longing... love. He hadn't meant for her to realise he was talking about her. He knew she listened but... He pressed play, spinning some song he didn't even bother to listen to. It doesn't mean much it doesn't mean anything at all the life I've left behind me is a cold room I've crossed the last line from where I can't return where every step I took in faith betrayed me and led me from my home When he'd first noticed her, she'd been a way to annoy Nicholas. He'd wax poetic about her over the air, knowing that only his son would realise who the 'angel of the night-shift' was. Lacroix laughed humourlessly, fate was not, it seemed, without a sense of irony. Of course to muse upon the young woman's many charms he'd have to know what she was like, where she went, what she thought... So he'd watched. And somewhere along the way it had stopped being about Nicholas. And suddenly the cruel parody of a lovesick swain hadn't been in jest anymore. And sweet sweet surrender is all that I have to give And he'd kept going. Forgetting, or perhaps secretly hoping, that she'd figure out who he meant. Nicholas listened, she was forced to. He breathed her name then, wishing he'd had the chance to speak with her. He should have known when Nicholas hadn't objected to his nightly musings that all was not well. But he'd hoped... You take me in no questions asked you strip away the ugliness that surrounds me are you an angel am I already that gone I only hope that I won't disappoint you when I'm down here on my knees And sweet sweet sweet surrender is all that I have to give Lacroix grimaced and remembered the call not three nights ago. She'd told him to stop, that she didn't want to play his 'meaningless mind games.' It had been the first time she'd ever spoken directly to him, and before he could even form a response... she'd hung up. She hadn't understood that he had meant every word. Sweet sweet sweet surrender is all that I have to give He hadn't really considered that she might not want him. Funny that. He supposed it had only been a question of time before she found him out... But he had been so lost in her that he hadn't thought, just fumbled by instinct. And I don't understand by the touch of your hand I would be the one to fall Gently he picked up the bloom that lay by his consul, she wasn't going the same places she had. She'd taken long walks in the pre-dawn after her shift before, by the railroad tracks. She was avoiding him he supposed. She knew he'd been watching her. I miss the little things I miss everything (about you) Forcing his thoughts away, Lacroix saw that the song was almost over. He'd better take a call, this was a call in show after all. "Good evening gentle listener, what can I do for you tonight?" So what if his voice betrayed the barest hint of melancholy? Surely no one would notice. It doesn't mean much it doesn't mean anything at all the life I left behind me is a cold room "Do you mean it?" Lacroix froze, it was her! "Wh-what?" He silently cursed when his voice broke. "The song," She hesitated, "Do you mean it?" Lacroix glanced down at the CD case, his eyes skimming the contents for the title, "Sweet Surrender," He read blankly, his heart catching then. He shut his eyes, and for the first time in a very long time, he prayed. Then he whispered, "Yes Tracy, I mean it." Across town, knowing now that it hadn't been a game, she smiled softly, "Play it again?" And sweet sweet sweet surrender is all that I have to give >>>>>>>>>>>>>> comments to anteros@juno.com The Tracy/Nightwatch challenge: "Write a story where Tracy requests a song on Nightwatch. Doesn't have to be a romance between LC and Tracy, could be she's taunting him, or could be that it has nothing to do with LC at all. Have fun!"