This story, such as it is, was supposed to have been finished in time for last Christmas. Good thing I don't have to earn a living from writing (probably a good thing in any case). Standard disclaimers apply: I don't own the characters; if I did I might be a bit more careful with them. Permission to archive on fkfanfic, fkfanfic2 and the ftp site. The Spirit of Giving 1/3 Mary Chamberlain December 2002 When Nick Knight walked into the 96th Precinct at ten minutes to eleven in the evening of February 1st, it looked like the beginning of just another ordinary night shift – except for the fact that there was a plush white life-sized groundhog sitting on top of the front desk. Nick stopped dead and curiously eyed the stuffed example of Marmota monax. "Happy Groundhog Eve, Nick!" said the harassed-looking staff sergeant behind the desk. "Huh?" replied Nick in a somewhat less than perspicacious manner, still looking wonderingly at the ersatz groundhog. "In another hour and ten minutes, it'll be Groundhog Day," explained the staff sergeant. "I guess someone decided we should commemorate it. There was a fire alarm a few minutes ago and we all had to evacuate, and when we came back in – well, here they all were." "They?" echoed Nick. Looking past the desk and into the squad room, he realized the place was full of stuffed white groundhogs. There seemed to be one on every desk. There were easily a dozen of the creatures, in various poses, all surveying their new habitat with a glassy-eyed stare. Through the half-open door to Captain Cohen's office, he glimpsed one apparently lounging on the captainical desk, with what appeared to be a daisy held negligently in one paw. "Any idea who put them here?" "Nobody saw anything. One minute the place looked like normal, the next it's Groundhog Central. My money's on your partner, though." "Schanke? The only thing that gets him out of first gear is the sight of a souvlaki stand offering a midnight special. I don't think he could pull something like this off." Nick had a sudden mental image of his brown-polyester-suited partner spinning around the police station like a sort of mini tornado, stuffed groundhogs spewing from the vortex. He closed his eyes against a resultant brief sensation of vertigo. "I don't know how he did it, but who else would have thought of something like this?" The sergeant eyeballed the plush toy. "I gotta admit, though, they are kinda cute." Nick made his way into the squad room. There was a buzz of conversation and laughter as other members of the night shift arrived and saw the plush toys. Detective Miller's groundhog was draped in his shoulder holster. Berman's had its paws wrapped around a coffee mug. A female officer was cuddling one in her arms unashamedly cooing to it. Shaking his head, Nick arrived at his desk to discover his chair occupied by a groundhog of his very own. He picked it up and held it at arm's length. The thing regarded him with a glazed stare. Several people noted that Nick's expression as he stared back was remarkably similar. At that point Schanke breezed in, saw all the stuffed animals and stopped dead. "Man oh man, what happened here?" There was a chorus of "Yeah, right, Schanke!" "As if you didn't know!" "Didn't know what?" Schanke protested. "Like you weren't the one that put them here," said the sergeant at the front desk. "Nice idea, though." "I just got here," said Schanke indignantly. "I've never seen these things before." The general opinion of his fellow officers, loudly expressed, was that he was lying through his teeth, and that he was the only one wacky enough to do something like this. Schanke, equally loudly, denied all knowledge. Captain Cohen popped out of her office, groundhog tucked under one arm. "Detective Schanke, do you have any idea how these toys got here?" "Not the slightest, Captain," said Schanke with his best injured innocence expression. "Hey, I've got a family to support. Do you think I could afford to go out and buy all these stuffed animals on what I make?" "Huh." Cohen turned and returned to her office. Nick was strangely reminded of a groundhog vanishing back into its burrow. Schanke sank down in his chair across from Nick, fortunately noticing the furry white occupant just in time. He picked it up and plunked it down on top of his desk. "I don't believe this. A room full of detectives and everybody jumps on the wrong guy. What are you smirking about?" "Nothing," said Nick. Leaning across his desk, he said quietly, "Just what is the deal with Groundhog Day, anyway? What's supposed to be the significance?" "You mean you don't know?" said his partner, apparently astonished. "How could anyone living in this frozen wasteland not know about Groundhog Day?" "I see I'm discussing this with a real fan – like, say, someone who would know where to find a dozen or so stuffed groundhogs," said Nick pointedly. "It wasn't me, I swear! Although I gotta say, I wish I'd thought of it. The little critters are awfully cute." "So, about Groundhog Day?" prodded Nick. "Well, the groundhog comes out of his hole and looks around, and if he sees his shadow it means there's gonna be six more weeks of winter. If he doesn't see his shadow it means it's gonna be an early spring." Nick frowned. "But chances are, there's going to be six more weeks of winter anyway. I don't see how that's any great feat of prognostication." "Yeah, I know, but that's the story, anyway. I'm not gonna argue with Wiarton Willie." "Wiarton Willie?" repeated Nick, in a surely-you-jest tone of voice. "Oh man, don't tell me you've never heard of Wiarton Willie! Wiarton Willie, Nick, is a cultural icon!" "Whose culture?" Schanke raised his eyes heavenwards as if hoping that divine providence would take a hand and despatch a lightning bolt to bestow instant cultural awareness on his partner. "Wiarton Willie is an albino groundhog who hangs out near Georgian Bay. He went into the weather business in 1956 and his predictions have a 90% accuracy rate." Perhaps sensing that his partner was less than totally convinced of the meteorological merits of the renowned groundhog, he added defensively, "That's better than the blonde chickie on the six o'clock news." "Uh-huh," said Nick, in a voice that managed to convey not only total disbelief, but also the slight sense of superiority of one who has more intellectual things in life to concern himself with than trick groundhogs. It was actually a pretty good imitation of the tone Lacroix often used with him, and he was rather proud of himself. "Well, Schank, all I can say is, you seem to be a pretty well- informed fan of Wiarton Willie. Just where were you tonight when the fire alarm went off?" "I – did – not – put – all these freakin' groundhogs in here!" bellowed Schanke, and for added emphasis he picked up the stuffed animal on his desk and lobbed it directly at Nick, who caught it and placed it gently next to his own. "Hey, hey, no toy abuse in here." "How about partner abuse? I'd expect just a little bit more solidarity from you, Knight," glowered Schanke, before switching his computer on and pretending to be engrossed in the screen. Nick smiled to himself. Rightly or wrongly, obviously most of their fellow officers believed that Schanke was the perp. His partner was going to have a hard time living this down. Lucien Lacroix was, if not exactly thunderstruck, at the very least taken highly aback. He was also extremely perplexed, and not amused in the slightest. He sat in one of the back rooms at the Raven, surveying the contents of a package which had been delivered by courier at some point during the daylight hours of Valentine's Day. It was addressed to "M. Lucien Lacroix" but there was nothing on either the outside or the inside of the package to indicate the identity of the sender. Inside the package was a long narrow white box, of the sort that one might expect to contain roses. But what was sitting inside the box had never come from any florist. Nestled in white tissue paper was a stake. But not just any stake. This was, as weapons of vampire destruction went, an objet d'art. It was, in a sinister sort of way, a thing of beauty, the epitome of stakes. The body was of perfectly finished, polished wood, with a tag hanging from it proclaiming that it was fashioned from genuine hawthorn, and it was honed to a wickedly sharp, precise point. It was set into a haft which appeared to be sterling silver. Just looking at it sent involuntary shivers up his spine. Who could have sent the thing? There were only two people on the face of the planet who knew what had transpired at the Azure restaurant exactly a year ago tonight, Nicholas and that annoying coroner. Dr. Lambert had been whammied to within an inch of her brief mortal life and was unlikely to remember the incident even if she fell into the clutches of a dozen regressive hypnotherapy experts, and it was extremely unlikely that Nicholas would ever have sent him something like this. His son, although often as thick as the proverbial brick, wasn't this idiotic by a long shot. He must have realized that the only reason he had survived to this point, given the number of times he had driven Lacroix to almost total insanity in the past eight hundred years, was that so often it seemed there was never a decent stake around when you needed one. Nicholas was hardly likely to intentionally rectify that situation. Which left the two thousand year old master vampire completely at a loss (much to his own chagrin) as to who could have sent - he distastefully flicked the accompanying tag into the wastepaper basket so as not to see the words on it - the "Azure Commemorative Stake". The Raven was a seriously dark place, both in terms of atmosphere and electrical output, and that was just the way the habitues of the club liked it. Mysterious deeds were sometimes done at the dimly-lit tables behind the dangling chains, questionable if not downright illegal business deals were occasionally transacted, and there was much groping if not outright vertical sex on the dance floor. It was a place that attracted certain fringe elements of society - sometimes mortal, sometimes not - and their attendant hangers-on and wannabes. Although today was St. Patrick's Day, the Raven was definitely not the sort of establishment that served green beer; nor was it the kind of place that normally attracted the sort of clientele that had arrived en masse the night before. Seated at her favourite table in the darkest of the shadows, Janette duCharme shuddered at the memory of the previous evening. The club's regular bouncer had the night off, and his replacement had seen fit to allow a group of refugees from a Star Trek convention through the door. (The man's employment had been abruptly terminated soon afterwards, and Janette had been so irate that that very nearly hadn't been the only thing to have been terminated.) For a short time the club had been overrun by a bunch of bizarrely clad mortals, some of whom apparently wished to be taken for space aliens, as evinced by their crude pointed ears, wigs, and odd makeup; many of the group were in tight-fitting scarlet and black jumpsuits, not necessarily a flattering sartorial choice; a few of the females had opted for extraordinarily short skirts, which almost without exception, should never have been worn beyond their owners' front doors. Some of the group brandished what were presumably alien weapons of mass destruction; and, as the bizarre horde paused at the top of the steps leading down to the dance floor, there was much crying of "Beam me up, Scottie!". Appalled at the sight of the invasion, Janette had felt her eyes momentarily go vampire golden before she had managed to regain control of herself. Just then had come an inopportune pause in the dance music, and the patrons already in the club suddenly became aware of the newcomers. For a moment Janette had waited in breathless anticipation for the Battle of the Raven to break out, but it seemed that the two camps, rather than being mutually hostile, were merely perplexed. Maybe the Goth crowd was simply too far removed from the mainstream to recognize the trekkers, while the red jumpsuits/space aliens clearly had no idea what to make of the club's regulars. A fledgling vampire standing near Janette did bare his fangs and growl slightly, but without glancing in his direction Janette landed a well- aimed warning kick on his ankle, causing him to hobble swiftly out of range while his threatening growl turned to a hiss of pain. Fortunately, some subtle undercurrent in the atmosphere - or perhaps the look on Miklos' face when some smartass in the group put in a shouted request for "a glass of your finest Saurian brandy" - convinced the Star Trek afficionadoes that it would not be a good idea to linger. They finished their drinks in relative silence and departed soon afterwards. Lost in the memory - "doing a Nicolas" was perhaps an appropriate term -she almost didn't notice Miklos approaching until he was standing by her table, carrying a bottle of wine and a glass. She raised a questioning eyebrow at him. He set bottle and glass down on the table. "This was just hand- delivered by one of last night's space aliens. Apparently some of them felt that they had intruded and wished to make amends." Both of Janette's eyebrows now elevated themselves toward her hairline. "Indeed." Miklos produced a corkscrew and gave her a questioning look. Overcome with curiosity about what kind of wine a Trekkie might consider an appropriate gift, she nodded affirmatively, and he made short work of opening the bottle and pouring a glassful of its contents. "Is this a joke?!" Janette exploded, eyes glowing. Miklos backed away hurriedly, eyeing the bottle with a look that suggested he might have been considering waving a crucifix in its direction, if that had been a prudent course of action to take in the Raven. "Miklos! You know the rule about green beverages on St. Patrick's Day!" "Sorry, sorry, so sorry," chanted Miklos, deciding abasement might be the better part of valour here before his irate employer decided to convert some of the nearby furniture into a stake for bartenders fallen from grace. "Someone in one of those red outfits just handed it in the kitchen entrance - I certainly wouldn't have allowed it on the premises if I'd known." Janette picked up the bottle and started to hand it back to him. "Here, take it and dispose - " Suddenly noticing the tag that was attached to the bottle's neck, she pulled it back and peered at the neat writing on the tag, which would have been completely illegible in the dark of the club to anyone but a vampire. "In exchange for your hospitality last night, we thought you might appreciate a taste of Vulcan blood. May you live long and prosper. Respectfully, S'Korch and T'Wihg." Janette took a cautious sniff of her glass and snorted. "Just as I always suspected. Antifreeze." "I didn't know you were a fa - " "Miklos," said Janette with frightening sweetness, "Get this stuff out of my sight, before you require some serious sunscreen." The Spirit of Giving 2/3 Mary Chamberlain December 2002 The first of April fell on a Sunday that year, for which most people at the 96th Precinct were profoundly grateful. Don Schanke was infamous for inflicting April foolery on his co-workers. He derived a great deal of simple enjoyment from such time-honoured pranks as pails of water atop the washroom doors and whoopee cushions. Some of the staff maintained that if he tried anything like that this year, Captain Cohen would have him laughing all the way to his new job in the traffic division, but all the same everyone was extremely relieved not to see him that day. On the evening of April 1st, however, it was a very pale and haggard- looking Donald G. Schanke who dragged himself into work. As usual, Nick was there before him. "What's wrong?" he asked in concern as his partner sank into his chair and buried his face in his hands. "Terrible day - no sleep - ready to divorce me - damned busts of Elvis," was the mumbled response. Nick leaned over and pried Schanke's hands away from his face. "Could I have that again, in complete sentences?" "Oh God, Nick - it was the day from hell - I think all my worst enemies got together and paid me back for all the April Fool's jokes I ever played on them." "What happened?" "Well," said Schanke, staring straight ahead with a glazed look in his eye, "it started out like any normal Sunday morning, letting the dog out and the cat in, feeding the guppies and scooping the dead ones out of the tank, forgetting that it's my turn to take the love of my life breakfast in bed -" "Schank, this is all very heart-wrenching, but I wasn't asking for the entire schedule. What happened?" "It was when I went out to get the paper, or rather to start hunting for the paper, because that visually challenged idiot delivery kid tosses it everywhere except the front step, and usually I have to go digging in my neighbour's rose bushes or climbing the maple tree around the side to find it - " "What - Happened?" "Then - I saw Them," said Schanke, in hushed tones. Nick decided on a different approach to wring a coherent account of the events from his partner. "Well, if you don't want to tell me, we've got a lot of paperwork here - " "It was unbelievable," continued Schanke, hardly missing a beat. "There was a plain white one, and a terra cotta one, and a black one, and a gold one, and one with bright pink cheeks and crimson lips - it was like being in the winner of the World's Most Absolutely Tacky Junk Store Contest. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven." Nick was now too intrigued to pretend not to be listening. "And these things were . . . " "Busts of Elvis," breathed Schanke. "Everywhere. All over the lawn, the porch, the sidewalk. There was even one with a motion sensor in it that played "Jailhouse Rock" when I walked past." "And then what happened?" "Myra happened," said Schanke gloomily. "She woke up and wondered what had happened to the Belgian waffles with maple syrup and butter and the organic, preservative-free sausages and fresh-squeezed O.J. and fresh roasted Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee all served on a tray along with a single rose in a crystal bud vase, which she swears I'd promised her Saturday night. So she comes down and finds all these refugees from the Graceland souvenir shop, and flips out. She thought I'd done it. I had to pick them all up, every single one. She wouldn't even let me keep the plain white one. I had to load them all into the car - and let me tell you, that terra cotta one must have weighed about as much as your Caddy - and take them to the dump. Of course, the dump is closed Sunday mornings, so I left them all on somebody else's lawn - but still, it was a heartbreaker. And when I got home Myra still wouldn't believe me when I said I hadn't put them there. She claimed I was trying to make us look like a laughingstock in front of all the neighbours, plus she was still ticked off that she hadn't gotten her fancy breakfast - like regular supermarked nitrite-stuffed sausages and Tim Horton's coffee aren't good enough to keep body and soul together - so she made my life a living hell for the rest of the day. I tell you, Nick, I feared for my Collector's Edition of Elvis's Greatest Hits on 3 LP's. Not to mention the life-sized Elvis portrait on black velvet, or my Elvis keychain collection . . . " He shuddered. Nick attempted to look sympathetic. Schanke's head sank back into his hands. "Believe me, partner, I've learned my lesson. I swear I'll never play another April Fool's joke on anyone ever again, so long as I live." On the night after Easter Sunday, Grace Balthazar walked into the morgue and beheld a sight so bizarre that she was stopped in her tracks in the doorway. Inside the room, Natalie Lambert was rushing madly between her desk, her computer, and the autopsy table, on which lay the body of an elderly man who had dropped dead after a large supper at his club, and whose face bore almost the same expression of shock as Grace's. Paper, pens, file folders, scalpels were being sent flying around the room in Natalie's insane haste, like debris being spewed out of the vortex of a one-woman whirlwind. "Natalie, what in the world is going on?" Grace finally got out. "Oh, hi, Grace," replied Natalie. Even her voice sounded too fast, like a tape being played on fast forward. "I'm just catching up on some work. Mr. Evans here is done - just waiting on the lab results now. Here, give me a hand." Too astonished to demur, Grace helped Natalie heave the earthly remains of the late Mr. Evans onto a waiting stretcher. Natalie whipped a sheet over the corpse and shot him into the refrigerated storage room. The stretcher hit the far wall and rebounded into several others, creating a sort of mini-pinball effect. Dusting her hands, Natalie slammed the door behind him and quick-marched to her desk, where she scribbled on some papers without bothering to sit down, then buzzed over to her computer. The papers blew to the floor in the resulting breeze. Natalie did some quick typing, then it was back to the storage room, returning with another stretcher bearing a different corpse. She seemed unable to stay still longer than about ten seconds. "What's going on?" repeated Grace, still slightly stunned. "Chocolate," replied Natalie succinctly. "What do you mean, chocolate?" Natalie pointed to her desk, where Grace saw for the first time a large, brightly-coloured cardboard box with a clear cellophane front, holding the remains of a chocolate Easter bunny. If the bunny had come from that box, it had to be one of the biggest pieces of chocolate Grace had ever seen. "You ate all that?" she asked in astonishment. "Well, there's still some of it left," said Natalie defensively. "That's the third one, actually." "The third?" gasped Grace, feeling slightly nauseated. "Where did they come from?" "They were all sitting on my desk when I came in tonight. I was going to give one to you, but they were so good, I just couldn't stop." Grace opened her mouth to say something else, but was interrupted by the arrival of Nick and Schanke. They too stared around looking as shocked as Grace. "Man oh man, Nat, what's going on?" demanded Schanke. "Did you plug yourself into a transformer station, or have you overdosed on some superdrug?" "Glad to see you guys," Natalie greeted them cheerfully. "I've got some reports for you." She zipped over to the filing cabinet and began to wing manila file folders across the table to them. "Here's George Papadopoulos -Mary Ann Duncan - " "Thanks, Nat. I've been waiting for George Papadopoulos for nearly a week," said Nick, neatly fielding the flying paperwork. "Samrit Singh - Michael Jones - Toby somebody or other, can't read the name, I wrote it in too much of a hurry - " "And I've been waiting for Samrit Singh for over two weeks," said Schanke. Nick nearly dropped the folders he was carrying in amazement at the sight of his partner's dexterity as he snagged one file while ducking another. "Yeah, well, I got through a huge backlog of stuff tonight. Can you help me with this guy here? I can't be bothered to wait for the attendants." She was now standing beside the stretcher bearing her next customer, scalpel in hand, bouncing up and down on her toes. Nick and Schanke looked distastefully at the body but obediently transferred it to the table, then retreated. Natalie looked more like a mad slasher than a calm, analytical professional as she began to carve into the man's chest. "Yes, well, we'll just leave you to it," said Schanke weakly. "Come on, Nick, I don't think it's safe in here." "Thanks for the reports," said Nick, as Natalie began to whack the contents of the abdominal cavity onto the weigh scale. Something slithered off the pile and onto the floor. Natalie glanced at it, then shrugged. "Well, at least his gall bladder looks healthy." "Come on, Nick," hissed Schanke again, tugging his arm. "Leaving so soon?" said Natalie, once more up to her elbows in viscera. "Duty calls," said Nick with a sickly smile, and Grace and the two detectives beat a hasty retreat. "Lacroix, you - you cross-dresser, you!" Lucien Lacroix removed the receiver from his ear, regarded it at arm's length to ensure that this sputtering accusation had actually emanated from the instrument, and replaced it by his ear. "Nicholas, perhaps you would care to humour a very old and powerful vampire by enlightening me as to just what it is you're talking about." "I'm talking about the statue of Queen Victoria at Queen's Park, as if you didn't know. The one that suddenly bears a striking to resemblance to you." "How extraordinary," said Lacroix coolly. "That wasn't the word that occurred to me when I saw it. All I can say is, your bad taste has finally exceeded your vanity. I suppose this is a particularly egotistical way of marking the 24th of May." "I do assure you, Nicholas, I know nothing whatsoever about any statue of Victoria, altered or otherwise. Although from what I recall of that particular monarch, almost any change to her visage could only be an improvement." Nicholas gave a particulary derisive snort. "Well, your handiwork is going to pretty short-lived. The maintenance people will clean up the statue first thing in the morning. I just hope nobody recognizes the Nightcrawler." And he slammed the phone down. Lacroix thoughtfully replaced his own receiver. Although he was well acquainted with Nicholas' penchant for blaming him for every untoward incident in his entire unlife, he could honestly claim that he was completely innocent in this instance. His face suddenly appearing on a statue of Queen Victoria? This certainly bore "checking out", as the current vernacular would have it. Lacroix took to the air and landed several minutes later in a secluded area of the lawn in front of the provincial legislative buildings. He was somewhat taken aback to find that the ground was fairly littered with statues of various worthies striking heroic poses in frock coats. Now, where was Vicky amongst this lot? After a moment's searching he found his objective. Close to the building was a larger-than-life sized likeness of Victoria in full regalia as Queen of the British Empire and Empress of India, leader of a dominion so vast that it had been claimed the sun never set on it - which could have made life as a British citizen very uncomfortable for a vampire, if one believed all the hyperbole. And Nicholas had been right. Someone - a very talented someone, actually -had managed to use paint to convert the monarch's dour features into a reasonably accurate facsimile of Lacroix's own. In the statue's left hand was an orb, which had become the base of a crude wine glass, half full of some noxious fruity-smelling liquid which would presumably indicate red wine to most of the populace. The sceptre in the right hand was unchanged, as was the crown atop the lacy veil. Lacroix was glad that he'd qualified his statement to Nicholas about almost any change to the queen's features being an improvement. This was a true horror, the sight of it being sufficient to chill even his blood. And it couldn't be left for the morning, when the mortals would come to gawk and snigger and speculate about why someone would superimpose the Nightcrawler's face on Queen Victoria's - although that was something Lacroix would dearly love to know himself. Not to mention knowing the identity of the culprit. Nicholas, so quick to inform him about this, was an obvious suspect. But a quick probe of their link revealed nothing more than still-smouldering indignation, frustration over his latest case, and a concern that that ridiculous vehicle of his might need new tires. Lacroix pulled out his cell phone and dialed the Raven. "Janette, I need someone to bring a pail of water and a stiff scrubbing brush, and leave them on the lawn in front of the parliament building - no, you may not ask why. Yes, water and a brush - surely you've heard of such things. Right now would be an excellent time." He turned the phone off and began to roll up his sleeves. Feliks Twist was a very unusual vampire in several respects. His gentle passion for horticulture was well known in the Community, along with his anachronistic Victorian mannerisms. His financial acumen was legendary. It was not unusual for him to spend half the night on the phone chatting with some vampire in Toronto or New York or Paris - or Brisbane or Vladivostok -who was concerned about his fortune (or lack thereof). Of course he had his old and valued clients, but really, these modern fledglings all seemed to think that a chomp on the neck automatically conferred the wealth of ages along with the ability to party forever. It was also not unusual for him to find a vampire on the doorstep with some neglected, moribund houseplant, which Feliks was expected to - and usually succeeded in - transforming into a fine strapping example of its species. Sadly, eternal life also did not bring with it - at least to some of the more klewless of his kind - the sense to realize that not all creatures could survive in the dark. Another unusual aspect of Feliks Twist was that his Conversion Day fell on the summer solstice. The shortest night of the year often induced a strange mental state in vampires, ranging from a vague uneasiness in the more self-controlled to an outright hysteria amongst the flibbertigibets. It was not generally considered an auspicious time to create new offspring. However, the mortal Feliks had been strolling in a moonlit garden with a beautiful creature of the fangy persuasion, quoting to her from the latest work of Lord Byron; she had been overcome by the moonlight, or the poetry, or Feliks' ruffled poet's shirt with the open collar, and had offered him the gift of eternal life. Which was all well and good, but afterwards Feliks sometimes felt akin to those unfortunate people whose birthdays fall close to Christmas - that his Conversion Day was forgotten by his nearest and dearest amongst the general frenzy of the season. Therefore, when he strolled into his conservatory on Midsummer Night's Eve, he was surprised and pleased to see a gift-wrapped package sitting atop a potting bench. The package was large and squishy and accompanied by a card with a tasteful depiction of a white rosebush (cultivar Rosa 'Blanc Double de Coubert'). Inside was inscribed in an unfamiliar hand, "On the longest day of the year, for the vampire who has (nearly) everything that money can buy. Happy Conversion Day." There was no signature. Fortunately Feliks was blessed with a sense of humour, so he thought it quite amusing when he removed the wrapping and discovered that he'd been gifted with a long nightshirt in cosy flannel, printed all over with a pinkish-white floribunda (cultivar Rosa 'Victorian Spice'); a matching nightcap, with tapes attached to tie under the chin; and to complete the ensemble, a small glittery moustache net. The Spirit of Giving 3/3 Mary Chamberlain December 2002 "And so, gentle listeners, the final Nightcrawler broadcast from the Canadian National Exhibition draws to a close. The rooster crows, the sleepy farmer stirs in his bed, and it is time for us to return to ours. I leave you with one final thought - cows make excellent hamburger, so I'm told. They're useful if you care for milkshakes, and they convert nicely into leather jackets. They even have more esoteric uses, such as paint thickener. But just remember - if we are indeed what we eat, then what does that make you, who consume them? " Lacroix turned off his microphone with a sigh of relief. Let his devoted mortal listeners figure that one out - they'd think the Nightcrawler had turned vegetarian. It had originally seemed like such a good idea, doing his nightly broadcast from the CNE like many other Toronto broadcasters, only in Lacroix's case he had decided to set up in a back corner of the cavernous building which was home to several hundred bovines. He had joyfully embraced the scheme of baiting Nicholas by making cows the main theme of his monologues for several nights. However, by Labour Day, the last day of the fair, he was heartily tired of the sight, sound, and above all the smell of cow. He thought that if he saw Nicholas imbibing from one more bottle of steer's blood right now, he would break it over his son's head. He made his way out of the building, delicately avoiding the many and odoriferous signs of its bovine occupants - hadn't anyone ever heard of shovels around here? - and into the pre-dawn darkness. On the last day of the Exhibition there were already quite a few mortals up and about, and he walked close to the wall of the building looking for a spot where he could take off from without risk of being seen. He spent just a few seconds too long searching for a place. From a large open door on the second floor above him came a a heavy rumble, banging, and creaking, and the next instant - even though, mortals or no mortals, he took panicked flight in a not- quite-quick-enough attempt to avoid catastrophe - a dumpsterload of cattle manure descended on his head, as though all the cows at the Ex had simultaneously decided to take revenge for his derogatory remarks. Fortunately for him, he managed to get out from under before much of the load arrived, and at least the cascading cow patties provided an adequate cover for his departure. Not that he cared right at the moment. He flew away, cursing with the slow, deep malignancy of a cauldron of boiling tar. He shook off straw and excrement as he went, so that several astonished early workers were treated to the peculiar sight of raining dung, and a hissing voice from the air repeating over and over again, in case they were in any doubt, exactly what it was. The day after Halloween found Lucien Lacroix in what was for him a highly unusual, and highly disagreeable, state. The night before, he had taken advantage of the reckless willingness to be frightened and the general feeling of mayhem that Halloween seemed to induce in mortals to indulge in a genuine old-fashioned hunt. The opportunity presented itself all too rarely in these days of video surveillance cameras, cell phones, and spy satellites, and so perhaps his instincts were not honed quite so sharply as they ought to have been. Also, galling though it was to admit it, beggars (Lacroix preferred the term live-prey-disadvantaged) couldn't be choosers. In any event, his choice of victims had been unfortunate, to say the least. In the course of one night he had swooped down upon and drained two young men and a rather delectable female who had themselves overindulged in industrial-strength alcohol. Now he lay in a back room at the Raven, experiencing sensations which he hadn't felt since his mortal days. There were a few - a very few - human abilities which he missed as a vampire. The ability to feel a truly colossal hangover was not one of them. He lay in the dark and wondered if he might actually throw up. The door opened a crack. Even the faint sliver of light that was admitted made him clench his eyelids even more. "Are you feeling any better?" asked Janette in concern. Her master's only response was a slight noise midway between a snort and a groan. "I think you should try this," said Janette. "It was sitting on the bar with your name on it; perhaps Miklos made it up for you. It smells delicious. Odd, but delicious. It might help settle your stomach." "What makes you think that my stomach requires settling?" Lacroix managed to croak out. "Oh nothing, nothing at all. But I must tell you that that sickly green tinge to your face does not become you." "Go away." "Not until you have tried this," said Janette firmly. "I won't get any sleep at all today until you stop sending such pain and nausea across our link." She set down what seemed to be a Tupperware container and peeled off the lid, revealing a dark red liquid. Lacroix closed his eyes again and turned his head away with another groan. "Now, now," chided Janette. "You must drink this. Even if I have to spoon it down your throat." Willing to do almost anything - even move - if it made her go away and leave him in peace, he managed to hoist himself up on one elbow and take a sip from the plastic bowl. The blood must be quite fresh, he realized: he got an immediate impression of - eggs? Eggs and feathers? Then he choked on something hidden below the surface of the liquid, spewing the blood in almost equal quantities over himself, Janette's custom designed silk peignoir, and the far wall. "What the . . . " he snarled. "What is in here?" He and Janette peered at what was left of the contents of the Tupperware. Besides blood, there were also soft pale things which resembled anemic worms. "I congratulate you on your far-reaching knowledge, my daughter," said Lacroix sarcastically, almost sounding like his normal self. "I had never realized that eating maggots was a cure for a hangover." "Surely not," said Janette, horrified. "Here, there's a note taped to the lid. Maybe it says what Miklos put in this." Lacroix tore the piece of paper from her, but not before Janette realized that the handwriting didn't belong to the Raven's bartender. Hopefully Lacroix wouldn't realize that. "Chicken Farmer Noodle Soup," read out Lacroix. "Good for whatever ails you." It was beneath his dignity to crumple the note and hurl it across the room. Besides, there was no satisfaction in throwing something so lightweight; tossing a grand piano, say, or a Volkswagen Beetle had a much better effect. Lacroix rolled over with a groan and pulled the covers over his head. Between All Saints' Day and Christmas, Lucien Lacroix devoted considerable thought to the identity and fate of the practical joker. By Christmas Eve he decided that he was not going to sit at home waiting for someone else to make the first move; it was time for a pre-emptive strike. There had been no more attempts on his person or his dignity since Halloween, but he wasn't about to take the chance that the guilty party wouldn't strike again at the mortals' most important holiday season. He arrived at Nicholas' loft shortly after dark, prompting the usual ungracious response from his son. "What do you want?" "Really, Nicholas. On this one night of the whole year, I would think you could at least be civil." "Civil to you, Lucien Scrooge? I'm afraid that would put me in a good cheer deficit." "Am I to take that to mean," said Lacroix with mock sadness, "that I shouldn't expect a Christmas gift from you?" "What would make you think you could expect one at all?" said Nick warily, doing a hasty mental review of his gift list. Nat, expensive chocolates -Janette, a little something in black lace from the Classy Intimates catalogue - Lacroix, lump of coal - oops, he'd forgotten that last item. Well, it was highly unlikely that his master would be upset if he didn't receive that particular gift. "Well, after all the others," Lacroix was saying casually, but with shark-circling-for-the-kill undertones, "I was expecting something truly spectacular on this occasion." "What others? The two of us have never done the Christmas gift thing." "True, we never have, have we? I never even put a blood orange in the toe of your stocking when you were a little vampire. But I'd gotten the impression that you were about to rectify that situation this year. Considering everything else you've given me over the past few months," he added meaningfully. Oops. This was not good. Obviously he must have been too busy having a flashback, or something, to have formulated a proper contingency plan for when Lacroix eventually figured out what was going on. Perhaps now would be a good time just to slip off into another . . . Recognizing the signs, Lacroix gave a warning hiss. Nick snapped out of incipient-flashback mode and started to calculate the distance between himself and Joan's cross versus the length of time it would take for Lacroix to grab him by the throat and tear his head off. "Mind you," his sire was adding as if nothing had just happened and he hadn't just been about to out-Bela Lugosi Bela Lugosi, "I realize I wasn't the only recipient of your - generosity. I know who it was who left that bottle of ersatz Vulcan blood at the Raven on St. Patrick's Day. It caused our dear Janette a great deal of distress. Not to mention the fact that the Community came within a hair's breadth of losing one of its most skilled bartenders." "I don't know what - " "Of course you do." Lacroix circled closer. "You know I have an effective spy network even in the mortal world." He had considered trying to pretend that he had known via their link what Nicholas was up to all along and had just been humouring him, but decided that even Nicholas wouldn't be gullible enough to believe that. If he had thought at the time that anyone would have dared to deliberately dump that load of end products of cow digestion on top of him back in September, he would have been on Nicholas' doorstep with a stake before his son could have said shish kebab. "Once I knew what to look for, I found out all about that little incident at your workplace back in February, in which you filled the place with those ridiculous toys. Not to mention all that effort you put in on April 1st lugging around all those images of Saint Elvis. I understand there were some highly entertaining scenes of marital discord as a result, which unfortunately all ended happily." Well, unless he had a mole in the morgue, there was no way Lacroix could have found out about his Easter present to Nat. "Although I must admit that sending all that candy to the good Dr. Lambert was a rather inspired idea. Much more cardiac stimulation and 'Death by Chocolate' might have been more than a nauseating dessert. Too bad it didn't work. Then there was the matter of the conversion day present for Feliks Twist. It's very fortunate that Feliks has a sense of humour. Most other members of our community would not have been so amused. In fact, they would have strung you up by that moustache net and left you dangling in the sun. Which is nothing, my dear Nicholas, absolutely nothing at all compared to what I was contemplating after I realized that you were responsible for dumping that load of cow manure on me." Nick made a dash for the box containing Joan's cross. Lacroix cut him off and effortlessly slid him up the wall with a fist clutching his collar. Nick was now too rattled to appreciate the novel sensation of looking down on his master. "Cow manure, Nicholas." Lacroix gave him a good hard shake, causing his head to bounce off the wall with an musical crack. "Hawthorn stakes, Nicholas." Crack. "Transvestite statues, Nicholas." Crack. "Chicken Farmer Noodle Soup, Nicholas!" Crack! "COW MANURE, NICHOLAS! COW MANURE!!!" Crack! Crack! Crack! Lacroix waited for Nick to regain consciousness, then said conversationally, "You realize, of course, that I have every right to demand retribution for all of this. In fact, if I were to hang, draw, and quarter you, and then leave your body parts out to greet the dawn, that might be seen as suitable punishment. Somewhat behind the current trends in torture and execution, but effective. Don't you agree, Nicholas?" He paused to address his son, still prone on the floor and now being nudged occasionally by Lacroix's boot. "I said, don't you agree?" "Erm," said Nick. "But really, that fate seemed too mundane for the crime. After all, it's been done many times before. I thought your trespasses deserved a more -original punishment. And so I've devoted considerable thought to this in the past month or so." Nudge. "You didn't have to go to all that trouble on my account," croaked Nick. "Oh, but I did. And quite a good time I had, too, planning my revenge. The thought did cross my mind, for about - oh, one quarter of a nanosecond -that perhaps I may have been, in some small measure, partially to blame for your misdeeds, that perhaps I may have indulged your foibles too frequently and therefore fostered a certain lack of respect. But then I thought, I defy anyone to say that my parenting skills are in any way lacking. I have done my best for the immature, ungrateful whelp, and this is how I am repaid. But, never let it be said that Lucien Lacroix is incapable of being magnanimous." There was a slight choking noise from the floor, caused by the pressure of Lacroix's foot which had shifted to bear directly on Nick's windpipe. "Did you say something, Nicholas? No, I didn't think so. Well, as I was saying, I've spent a great deal of time and energy devising the most fitting. . . painful . . . humiliating . . . punishment I could think of. And that is . . . " He smiled his best patented shark-like smile, the one that made strong men do jellyfish imitations. Nick managed to slide backwards several inches. Lacroix bent close over him and breathed, " . . . absolutely nothing." The crash of the other shoe dropping was deafening. After a moment, Nick, whose ears had been set to receive a catalogue of imaginative torments, each one more horrific than the last, managed to croak, "Nothing?" "Indeed, Nicholas. Nothing at all." "And what do I have to do to get this free pardon?" he asked sceptically. "Merely accept my Christmas gift to you." Lacroix produced a plain unmarked envelope and handed it to Nick with a slight flourish. "I suggest you use it wisely and, more importantly, quickly, before I regret my magnanimity. If you choose not to – " He bent low over Nick again and exhaled in his ear. " – I know where Dr. Lambert lives." He straightened up. "Goodbye, Nicholas. Do have yourself a merry little Christmas, now." Then he vanished through the skylight. Nick collapsed back on the floor and opened the envelope with a slightly trembling hand. Inside were three slips of heavy, gold-embossed paper. They bore the words, "Gift certificate for identity change and relocation." Each one was signed "Aristotle" and each one was for a sum that made Nick's eyes widen. It seemed that Lacroix was sparing no expense to be rid of him. No! He couldn't do this! Banishment was a fate worse than death. Leave Toronto now? Leave behind his friends (such as they were), his job, his hope of mortality, Natalie, the Caddy? Lacroix had chosen the perfect punishment, in the guise of clemency. And if Nick defied him and didn't use the certificates, Natalie would pay the ultimate price. For a while Nick roamed through the loft in a haze of angst. How could he just drop everything without a word to anyone and do a moonlight flit? True, he'd done it hundreds of times before, but he'd never had to walk away from a life that meant so much to him. Natalie would probably come searching for him with a stake in her hand because she'd be so angry with him leaving without so much as a goodbye, and he couldn't blame her. Then, slowly, an idea began to take shape, and he started to smile. After all, Lacroix hadn't told him to move on permanently. Maybe, just maybe, he could make things work out. Talk Cohen into giving him a leave of absence from work for, say, two years – talk Nat into coming with him – arrange for a loft- sitter – yes, it could be done. But he'd have to work fast. He definitely didn't want to be around when Lacroix received his New Year's present . . . ********************************************************************* The End Comments to mcham_thorne@hotmail.com