Requiem of Faith by Kristen Fife Nick watched the funeral on the television, a glass of bloodwine to his left. In front of him, Joan's cross lay on the box on the table. He listened to the oratories and prayers, easily following most of the languages and calls to prayer, finding comfort in the Latin, a faint smile as the French lay woman called to prayer in French. He listened as the choir sang and the cardinals prepared for the Communion offering, censing the windy air around the table. As they approached the statue of Christ, he felt a whisper in his heart, a wish for the peace and everlasting glory for the deceased Pope. The familiar songs and chants gave him a feeling of comfort and peace, something so often denied in his long life. He looked again at Joan's cross, remembering her words to him. "Faith. Pure, simple faith. Take this to remember me by. To remind you that the faith you have lost is always there to regain."The millions of Catholics around the world were paying their respect to a man of indomitable faith, the spiritual Father on earth. Nick had avidly read internet accounts, and when the Pope's final will and testament was posted, he had read the personal feelings of the most holy of men. One line was engraved on his mind and his heart. "I express the deepest faith that, despite all my weakness, the Lord will accord me every necessary grace to face, according to His will, whatever task, trial and suffering that will be demanded of His servant, during the course of my life." Nick had once been a servant of God. Once he had served the Church, and believed. Through all the centuries of his evil, he had suppressed memories of his vows as a Knight of the Church. He recalled those vows now, and with a shudder, he closed his eyes to pray. "God, I know you may not be listening. Please have mercy on Karol Wojtyla's soul. He was an extraordinary man. I have no right to ask you for anything, and perhaps my prayer is a blasphemy in Your mind. I am trying to have faith, as Joan and the Pope both did. Amen." He opened his eyes and continued to watch the funeral on the television. A blood tear leaked down his face as he witnessed the faith of millions, faith he was truly trying to find in his dark meanderings along the road of his life.