Disclaimer: I don't own the characters from Forever Knight. This story deals with theology and came about because of a sermon I heard in church on Sunday. WARNING: this story has some religious humor to it. It is not meant to be offensive to anyone, however, it could possibly be so if you are a staunch Catholic. The content of the story deals with some of the differences between Catholocism and Protestantism. It is meant ONLY as the musings of a certain ME, and not as a criticism or debate about the rightness or wrongness of any one religious viewpoint. =================================================== Power of Redemption 1/1 Natalie pondered the words she had heard that morning. She had gone with Grace to her church for Easter Sunday, not quite sure what had prompted her. She wasn’t really a highly religious person, but for some reason she had felt the need to go this year. Having been raised in a fairly agnostic family, she had gone to a few churches throughout her life growing up, but had never been to a Presbyterian service. It was quite different from the Catholic and Anglican services she was used to. Not surprisingly, the topic of the sermon was spiritual redemption. She had known, in a vaguely general way, the whole point of Easter and Jesus’ crucifixion. That he had died to “save mankind”. But she hadn’t ever fully thought about some of the implications. The sermon that the minister had given had really been thoughtful, and she had asked them if she could get a copy of it. There was a certain medieval Catholic vampire she thought might benefit from the words. Which brought her back to thinking about Nick’s endless cycle of guilt and his own efforts at redemption. The Protestant churches seemed to have a much different view on sin and redemption than the Catholics. It seemed much more personal, and there was no Confession to a priest. The theology seemed to indicate that a person’s relationship with God was much more direct, and that the church was a community and something like a support network, but not as focused on the guilt aspect of spirituality as the Catholic church. Granted, she was no expert on religion, this was just her own personal interpretation. She wondered if Nick had ever met Martin Luther or John Calvin. She remembered a little bit of her college history classes and knew they were the two main Protestant reformation figures in religious upheaval in Europe. She decided to go to the library to read a bit more on the history and the differences in the theology between the two main forms of Christianity. Nick had told her that Joan of Arc had told him that he needed “faith”. As a scientist, Natalie knew that vampirism was a physical condition, but she could not understand the whole aversion to crosses and holy water. She had never asked about, say, the Star of David and whether vampires had any reactions to it. She suspected that Nick, having been Catholic, was much more affected by the symbols of his own religion. But that didn’t explain LaCroix, who she knew also had physical reactions to the cross. But, if she understood correctly, he had never been a Christian. It had been a religion in its infancy when he became a vampire. She had a hard time believing that an entire species (and she had begun to consider vampires to be a different species from human, a mutation of some sort perhaps) had a psychosomatic reaction to the same religious articles, and she KNEW that not all vampires had been Christian in their mortal lives. So what WAS it about these religious articles that created the reactions? Was there, truly, some sort of a spiritual or metaphysical component to vampirism? She had a hard enough time understanding the psychic “link” that Nick claimed from his sire. If Nick could truly come to BELIEVE that he had achieved redemption, could that possibly be the final hurdle to him becoming mortal again? She shook her head. Getting Nick to let go of his guilt would be a monumental feat, and she knew it was going to take help from a quarter SHE wasn’t qualified in. The one thing that she knew about the Catholic Church that she didn’t see in the makeup of the Protestant churches was the Seal of the Confessional, and the guarantee of secrecy it implied; she remembered the case the previous year that had involved the murder of several Catholic women and the arguments Nick had had with the young priest. She had a suspicion that Nick would never truly believe in the Protestant form of self-confession. His own roots were too deeply ingrained in him. She wondered if he had tried going to Confession at all in the last 200 years? She couldn’t help herself but grinning as she imagined Nick trying to get a priest to BELIEVE in him. “Forgive me Father, for I have sinned”. “How long has it been since your last Confession my son?” “Father, it has been 765 years since my last confession.” She wondered how my thousands of Hail Mary’s Nick would have to start with. She shook her head. She could NEVER let Nick know of her amusement; she didn’t think he would take it too well. Maybe she really did need to work with Nick on getting his perspective to change. She knew he truly repented of all the killing he had done over the centuries, but she suspected he would need the external forgiveness from a priest to begin to BELIEVE that he had forged ahead. And, what an interesting implication it had for the whole concept of prison rehabilitation for serial killers. She walked over to her desk and pulled out her journal on Nick’s progress. She started a new section, calling it “Spiritual Aspect”. She took the book over to the kitchen table and jotted down her ideas and observations. She looked at her watch, and saw that it was after 5. Nick should be getting up, she decided to call him and tell him she had some new ideas to try. It certainly couldn’t hurt. Her mind began examining some of the possibilities and routes to take, and soon she was once more absorbed in the puzzle of the vampire. ==================== Permission to archive given at the FTP site, fkfanfic, and if you want to do so, contact me offlist.