From: E McCann [wurgermeister@pop.mail.yahoo.com] Sent: Tuesday, August 14, 2001 2:44 AM To: AKBlake@LOCK-NET.COM Subject: How 'bout some fixed fic? Some older fics, but some of my favourites from the bit I've written... Mortality: Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 - Finally fixed minor errors 8-13-2001 From: Eric McCann Subject: Mortality Just had an idea pop into my head which formed the basis for this story. (It's 4 am, what do you expect me to do? =]) Quick background, so you can see where I'm basing this: By one means or another, Nick regained his mortality, married Nat, did the 2.6 kids thing, etc, etc, etc. This story takes place, oh, 50-60 years in the future. Nick *won't* be in it (much) but ... well, you'll see... As always - I'm just borrowing the FK characters for now. If the owners want them back, they can have 'em, but I'd like to request at least another season =]. On with the show: "It was good to see them again, wasn't it, Nat." "Yes. *sigh* I just wish they could have stayed longer. We haven't seen our granddaughter since she graduated. These last few days have been wonderful, though." Nick got into bed, wincing slightly. It seemed the arthritis was paying him another visit. At least it wasn't too bad. Natalie, seeing the quick shot of pain, asked if he was all right. "Yes. It's nothing compared to a stake. Given the choice, I'll take this as part of the payment for being with you. Besides, I guess an 800 plus year old man has to accept SOME problems, hmm?" Nat smiled back. "I'm just glad you didn't ask me to try to fit all those candles on your cake yesterday." Nick laid back, happy, content. "Good night, Nat." He leaned over and gave her a quick peck on the cheek. =-=-=-= Three days later, their granddaughter - and the rest of their children, and their childrens' children, were back. Standing at the graveside, rain falling on them, unnoticed, they had all gathered to say goodbye one final time to Nick. Tears flowed in abundance, but strangely to some, Natalie smiled. She knew this was the end he wanted - dying in his sleep was his final victory over the vampire. "I'll be with you soon, Nick. I'll be with you soon." =-=-=-=-= LaCroix also visited that night. Despite Nick's mortality, there was still a very weak link between the two of them. He came by, wondering at the odd termination of that link - and knowing what it meant at the same time. "Good evening." Natalie looked up, with a small start. LaCroix had not been around for the last ten years or so,and she couldn't exactly say she had missed him. Even at his last visit, so late in Nick's mortal life, he had tried to convince him to come back to 'the family.' She knew he had missed his favourite son, and he hed by that time realized his attempts would all be futile. Nick had his wife, his mortal family, his humanity and mortality. The only thing he had lost had been his guilt. "Hello, LaCroix. I guess you know." "Yes, though I had been hoping my feeling was false." LaCroix seated himself at the table across from her. He seemed...upset, disturbed. "If I may, how..." "He died peacefully, in his sleep. No pain, just closed his eyes and that was it." LaCroix nodded. "He is at peace. May I go and bid my son farewell?" "Yes. I'll take you there." Noting LaCroix's look, she said "I know where it is. Flying may be faster, but these old bones couldn't take it." =-=-=-= Twenty minutes later, they pulled up to the front of the cemetery. Natalie walked with LaCroix to Nick's grave. "We figured you and some of the others may want to stop by," said Natalie, gesturing to the headstone, "so we decided against any crosses." LaCroix gave a weak half-smile. "Thank you for your consideration. Now, not to be rude, but I would like to say good bye to Nicholas in private." Natalie nodded. "Goodbye, LaCroix." She turned back as she walked to her car, and saw two things she never thought she would see. First was the tear rolling down LaCroix's cheek. The second was him bowing his head, seemingly in prayer. "Even in death, you still can amaze me, Nick." She drove home. =-=-=-=-= Natalie Knight joined her husband 8 months later.