'Love Conquers All' is a story I wrote back in April of 1999. It was written for inclusion in a booklet created for the NNPack Minicon that was held in Toronto in the summer of '99. The original story was rated PG-13. A good friend of mine (waving to Deb!) once asked me if I would consider writing the missing bedroom scene for this story, because she felt that it would complete the story in a far more satisfactory way. I couldn't agree more, so here is the story once again, now complete with smut. Disclaimers: FK and it's characters do not belong to me, but to James Parriott, Barney Cohen and TPTB at Sony/Tristar, etc., etc., etc. This story is purely for entertainment purposes and no copyright infringement is intended. Permission to archive at JADFE, the ftp site, and at FKFanfic2 is given. Parts of this story contain graphic, explicit sex (m/f, N/N). It's been awhile since I've written any erotica, so this is a bit of a purge. Please don't read this story if such material offends you, or if, heaven forbid, you're under the legal age to be reading such things. Many thanks to my beta readers, Heather-Anne and Lea, who keep me readable, and are a wonderful source of support and inspiration. Thanks, gals ... I love you both! :-) This version of the story is dedicated to Deb N., who not only suggested I do this, but who has also been waiting patiently to see it for a *very* long time. She's a dear friend and one of my biggest cheerleaders. This is for you, my dear ... I hope you like it! I live for feedback! Lavish praise or sour grapes can be sent to: fbrady@interhop.net Love Conquers All By: C. Brady Written in April 1999. Revised in February 2000. Natalie arrived at a sight that was becoming increasingly familiar with every passing day. Nothing about this ever really changed. The house with the bright yellow "Crime Scene" tape festooned around its perimeter, the crowd milling about, the red and blue flashing lights, the look of disbelief on the faces of the neighbors. This was a night like so many others in the past. It was all becoming too numbingly familiar. Natalie stood on the front walkway and admired the stately residence. This house, a beautiful old Victorian century home with a wraparound porch and lacy gingerbread was in an old and expensive section of Toronto. It was obvious from its fresh appearance that it had recently been painted. It was resplendent in a soft blue with ivory trim. This was a house that had been meticulously cared for and it showed. Natalie went up the steps and entered the elegant foyer. Inside it was a picture of understated and refined taste. Quiet and subdued, it seemed to welcome you inside and invited you to relax. It was hard to believe that anything bad could happen in such a place. Natalie turned to her left and walked into the beautiful living room. Done in shades of Wedgwood blue and buttercup yellow, the room was a tranquil oasis. A large, overstuffed ivory colored sofa and love seat were patterned in a tone on tone tapestry and sat upon an Oriental rug in soft shades of yellow, blue, pink and ivory. Under the rug was a handsome natural oak hardwood floor that had been polished to a deep luster. It seemed to glow with a life of its own. Delicate side tables, also in oak, held vases of fresh flowers. Lilies, hibiscus, lilacs and other blooms almost overflowed their containers. Their perfume filled the air with the scents of spring. In the corner of the large room stood a curio cabinet, its interior light on and shining softly, illuminating the treasures exhibited within. Royal Doulton and Hummel figurines were artistically displayed; dozens of them. Obviously such a collection had been lovingly built over many years. To the right of the cabinet, centered on the end wall, was a beautiful fireplace, flames from burning apple wood crackling cheerfully inside. The mantle, also in natural oak, was covered with what appeared to be hand carved depictions of flowers and leaves. Natalie marveled at the time and talent that went into creating such a stunningly beautiful piece. Her eyes then traveled from the lovely fireplace down to the body that was crumpled in front of it. A woman, early to mid forties was lying in a pool of blood. A fireplace poker lay a few feet away. Natalie had to mentally shake herself out of the calm state of serenity this lovely old house inspired within her. It was time to get to work. She snapped on her gloves and knelt down to begin her preliminary examination. Nick walked out of the kitchen where he had been talking to some uniformed officers and saw Natalie beside the body. Every movement was efficient as she worked, and a look of concentration was on her lovely face. Nick was worried about her. It had been two months since a sexual predator had murdered her eight-year-old godchild, Cynthia Luce. A pedophile named Ronald Gault had kidnapped her off the street, taken the child to a park, raped, and then killed her. Nat had been the one to identify the body. Ever since that night, Natalie had been different. Nick had expected remorse. He knew that she would need time to deal with this senseless tragedy, but he had not expected the change he saw before him now. Natalie seemed to distance herself from everyone. She was still friendly enough, in a formal, arms-length sort of way, but the fire that always burned in her eyes, the passion that drove her ... was gone. Nick understood that Cynthia was another loss in a long history of bereavements, starting with the death of her parents when Nat was six. He was becoming more worried each day that she would not recover from this. Cynthia's death was just too much, the last straw. He had no idea how to comfort her, how to help her when she would no longer allow him to get close to her. She refused to come to the loft for video nights any more. She no longer invited him to her apartment. She had adopted her professional 'Dr. Natalie Lambert' persona whenever they were together. Nick recognized many of these signs. He had often used them himself as a way of distancing himself from mortal friends he would have to leave behind. Nat was preparing to 'move on' as he had done himself, so many times in the past. The thought scared the hell out of him. Natalie had become a very important part of his life - maybe the most important part. He couldn't bear the thought of losing her, but he didn't know what to do about it. He walked up beside her. "Hi, Nat." He said softly. "Find anything?" Natalie rose to her feet. "T.O.D. approximately three hours ago. The blood was the result of a head wound, although that wouldn't have killed her. My guess is that she hit her head on the corner of the hearth when she fell. Forensics just finished dusting the poker. It looks as if her fingerprints are the only ones on it. She must have been moving some logs in the fireplace and dropped it. There are no penetrating wounds on the body and no bruising or lacerations that would suggest a struggle. At the moment, this is looking less and less like a homicide and more like death from natural causes. As to why she fell, I couldn't say for sure. I can tell you more after I get her to the lab and take a look inside." This was all said in a professional monotone. Natalie was simply giving him the facts of her exam, as was her job, but no more. There was nothing personal in it. Even the smile that she gave him was a generic, one-size-fits-all. Nick sighed. More of the same again. He felt like grabbing her and shaking her like a miscreant puppy, or pulling her into his arms and kissing her senseless. Anything to get past that cold, we-are-just-co-workers barrier that she had erected. Nick sighed once more. He knew that he couldn't take either of those actions. If he dared to shake or kiss her here, she would probably never speak to him again. Although her anger would be preferable to her indifference, he would rather not have to deal with it if it wasn't necessary. "I'll call you later." Nick said. "Make it tomorrow," Natalie replied. "By the time I finish the post- mortem and have the lab run the necessary tests, I won't have time to get the reports completed before the end of my shift. I'll call Captain Cohen with the tentative results of the autopsy before I go home, then at least you'll know what you're dealing with." Unable to think of a thing to say to break through Nat's wall of cool reserve, Nick simply nodded. He then turned and moved away to join Schanke who had been interviewing the woman who found the body. They stood in the foyer. "Find out anything that will help us, Schank?" Nick asked, inclining his head in the general direction of the woman sitting on a chair in the kitchen. "Nada." Schanke replied. "Her name's Louise Phipps and she's the victim's personal secretary. Seems our victim is some kind of bigwig corporate exec. Name's Daphne Merchand. Miss Phipps was coming over to deliver some papers to Ms. Merchand and couldn't get any answer to her constant knocking and ringing of the doorbell. The victim's cat was yowling inside, and that made Miss Phipps suspicious. She went across the lawn, peeked through the living room window and saw her boss in a heap on the floor. She called police on her cell phone. That's all she knows. She doesn't seem all that broken up over the boss's demise, though." Schanke rolled his eyes as he continued, "Her biggest concern seems to be that all of this has interrupted a very hot date that she was supposed to go on after her delivery to Daphne. Mighty inconsiderate of Ms. Merchand to die without first consulting Louise's social calendar, huh?" "You might as well tell her to go, Schank." Nick suggested. "It doesn't sound like she's going to be any help to us anyway." "OK, partner. I'll tell her to go. Can I tell her where to go?" Don grinned at him. "Control, Schank, control!" Nick chuckled. As Schanke walked away, Nick turned and studied Nat once again with a speculative look in his eyes. Control... maybe that was the answer to his problem as well. Only in his case, the issue was not a lack of control, but too much control. Maybe what Natalie needed was a more definite declaration of how he felt about her? He would be talking to her tonight, Nick decided. In fact, he would be seeing her tonight as well. He fully intended to pay her a visit at her apartment after his shift ended. They would talk, and she would listen to what he had to say! Nick would give her no other choice. Nat tiredly let herself into her apartment. She was exhausted. It wasn't just the fatigue of working a long shift, or the achiness that could be attributed to the physical demands of performing an autopsy; it was a weariness of the soul. The feeling that she was empty inside, all used up. She felt numb and she didn't know what to do about it. She felt the brush of a warm, furry body against her legs. Sydney was giving her his traditional 'welcome home.' Every night, he would twine himself sinuously around her calves, purring like a jackhammer. After she had removed and hung up her coat, he would start 'talking' to her. Meows and little cat yodels signaled that he was 'ready to eat, please!' The victim tonight had a cat as well. Natalie had seen it just as she was preparing to leave. She had walked into the kitchen to let the forensics team know she was finished, when she saw the cat being cradled in the arms of a young policewoman. He was a beautiful creature. His glossy coat was a rich, bright orange emphasized by stripes of pure, snow white. He had the biggest emerald green eyes Nat had ever seen. He seemed to enjoy the stroking that he received from the young constable. Unable to resist, Natalie walked over and petted him. His fur was silky soft and he purred quietly. Around his neck, he wore a thin nylon collar that was the same brilliant green as his eyes. Hanging from the metal ring was a small bell that made gentle jingling noises when the cat moved. Behind the bell, on a mouse shaped tag was the victim's name and telephone number, and the cat's name - 'Marmalade'. Natalie, looking down at her own beloved pet, wondered what would happen to Marmalade now? The woman had no relatives, no husband, and no lover. She had many acquaintances and business associates, to be sure, but it seemed, no close friends. Only Marmalade. Only Marmalade seemed to care that she was dead. How very, very sad, Natalie thought. When the only living creature that would truly mourn your passing was an orange and white striped cat. Natalie could feel tears prickling her eyes as she considered the horrible similarities between her life and Ms. Merchand's. Dedicated to her work, 'married' to her job. No time for romance, too busy for love. How alike they were! Nat's autopsy had revealed the cause of the woman's death. An aneurysm. A silent, ticking time bomb that lies undetected in the brain until suddenly, without warning, it explodes. In Ms. Merchand's case, the explosion resulted in the destruction of far too much of the front temporal lobe, causing instant death. She was 42 years old. Eleven years older than Natalie. With a tired sigh, Natalie dropped on to the couch. Lately she had given serious consideration to making a major change in her life... relocate, maybe. With her credentials, she had no doubt that she could get a job in just about any province in Canada. Maybe she could go to Vancouver. She loved the majesty of the Rockies and Vancouver was every bit as cosmopolitan as Toronto. Or perhaps she should go east? Nova Scotia or New Brunswick, where life would be a little slower, a little less harried. Natalie had been given to melancholy reflection ever since Cynthia's murder. She was taking stock, taking a good, hard look at her life and everything in it. She was 31 years old and she was very much afraid that she was well on her way to becoming another Daphne Merchand. She was so involved in her work that there was no time for a 'personal' life, no chance of developing a romantic relationship. Besides, the only relationship of that kind that she really wanted was with a man that she couldn't have. Natalie shook her head in disbelief at her foolish heart. She wanted Nick; she loved him deeply and with a heartfelt, passionate commitment. When she went to bed, her dreams were filled with him. Her subconscious wove wonderfully romantic scenarios where she and Nick lived 'happily ever after'. Except that 'ever after' took on a whole new meaning when you're dealing with a vampire. Of course, the burning question in Natalie's mind was about Nick's feelings, or lack of feelings, for her. She knew he valued her friendship and trusted her. Trust was not something Nick could afford to indulge in very often. Solitude and secrecy were essential parts of a vampire's existence, insuring his survival throughout the centuries. She knew that he relied on her professional skills. She was his partner in finding a way back to his humanity, his hope for a cure, but how did he really feel, deep inside? Was there anything else, any chance for love? Natalie thought not. Nick had stated on more than one occasion that vampires were incapable of love. That he could not love a mortal woman without endangering her life or her soul. He was always very careful never to allow any real intimacy between them. Natalie knew Nick was trying to protect her, to shield her from the beast that lurked, with glowing amber eyes and razor sharp fangs, just beneath the surface, but that didn't make it easier to accept. It didn't make the desire, the yearning, go away. So, Natalie was at an impasse. She didn't want to go, but neither could she stay. There had been too many losses in her life just lately, too much grief. Natalie was terrified of allowing her love for Nick to grow any stronger, trying to shield her aching heart from the inevitable moment when she would lose him as well. So, she started to push him away, to distance herself from him. She couldn't take the 'video nights' at the loft any more. Alone with him, sitting cuddled up on Nick's leather couch, he would often steal a quick, friendly kiss. Being so close to him, awakening passion without ever allowing it freedom, was just becoming too painful now. One night, when it had been her turn to choose the video, Nat had picked a particularly poignant love story. As the credits rolled at the end, Nat was fighting a losing battle with the tears that had been threatening to spill over all during the last half of the film. Nick usually teased her about getting so emotional over a movie, but that night had been different. Without a word, he gently pulled her into the haven of his arms and held her. She had cried softly against his chest, soaking the front of his shirt. He tenderly stroked her hair and rubbed her back until the storm of tears had passed. Nat was feeling protected and cherished when she felt his fingers under her chin, gently tipping her tear smudged face up to his. Her breath caught in her throat when she saw that he was looking at her with eyes that were filled with ... desire. Desire ... and something more? Nat wasn't sure what she really saw. He was smiling at her in such a warm and sensual way that her heart suddenly thundered in her ears. She held her breath as slowly he lowered his lips to hers. At the first touch of his full mouth upon hers, Natalie knew that this was not going to be the same type of friendly, chaste kiss that usually passed between them. Nick touched his lips softly to hers ... once, twice, three times. Then his mouth covered hers completely as he pulled her up against his hard chest, almost squeezing the breath from her. Nick further deepened the kiss as his breathing became ragged. Nat felt the velvet touch of his tongue as he swept it across her lips, encouraging her to open them and allow him access. Her own breathing becoming erratic, Natalie parted her lips and felt his tongue immediately plunge inside, sweeping across her teeth, finding her own tongue and stroking it with a wild abandon. Meanwhile, Nick's hands roamed and caressed her lush form with ever- increasing ardor. One hand trailed up her arm, across her shoulder, to stroke the side of her neck. His fingers froze over the vein that throbbed wildly. Natalie heard a low, rough growl in the same instant Nick threw himself away from her. He half ran, half flew across the room to the refrigerator. He pulled out a bottle of cow's blood, bit the cork and spit it across the room. Tilting his head back, he drained it completely. His eyes flashed bright gold as his fangs dropped. He drank another two bottles of blood before he stopped. He looked at her sheepishly, his eyes blue once more. "I'm sorry, Natalie. I don't know what got into me. You just looked so sad and sweet that I couldn't resist the temptation. Please forgive me, it won't happen again." Her lips were still pleasantly tingling from his passionate kiss and she felt frustrated beyond belief by the vampire's untimely appearance. Nat concentrated on getting her ragged breathing back under control then gave him a weak smile before she spoke. "Don't worry about it, Nick, no harm done. I guess we both got carried away by the moment." Looking back on that night, Nat couldn't believe she had let him off the hook so easily. She should have demanded answers, should have asked him to explain the look she had seen on his face. Or had she seen it? Nat was no longer sure if what she saw was real or just the product of her very hopeful imagination. Perhaps with wanting him so badly, her poor brain was creating images that just weren't there, tricking her into believing that there was love where none existed. She couldn't go on like this! She didn't want to end up alone and lonely, aching for something that could never be. If she had learned anything in her 31 years, it was that life could be very short and it was full of surprises, both good and bad. You never knew what tomorrow would bring. She didn't want to end up like Daphne Merchand, dying alone, surrounded by possessions collected to cover the emptiness of a solitary life, only truly missed by a cat. A decision finally made, Natalie moved to her desk and sat down in front of the computer. With a purposeful look on her face, she started work on her resume. Natalie had just printed up her completed resume and was in the midst of composing a letter of application to the Center of Forensic medicine in Vancouver, B.C. She heard through the grapevine they were looking for a new Coroner to replace the recently retired Dr. Malcolm Cheswick. Suddenly, the doorbell rang, startling her. "Damn!" Natalie softly cursed, then looked at her watch and wondered who would be visiting at four in the morning. "Nat?" She heard Nick's voice on the other side of the door. "Natalie, I know you're in there and I'm not going to go away until I see you. Please open the door." Nat sighed. There was no point in pretending she was asleep and couldn't hear him. She knew he would be able to hear her heartbeat and would know she was awake, and also that her heart had started beating faster as soon as she heard his voice. It was an advantage he had that she thought was grossly unfair! Unlocking the door, she swung it open and waved him inside. He walked into her apartment hallway and removed his long overcoat, tossing it onto the hardwood coat rack that stood nearby. It was patently unfair that one man should be so handsome, Natalie thought. Nick was wearing black again. A black silk shirt neatly tucked into black jeans that lovingly hugged his masculine form without being too obvious. He was also wearing the electric blue jacket that she loved so much. It made his eyes, always such a beautiful blue seem almost fathomless. It was like looking into the deep, sparkling azure of the Caribbean Sea. Nat could understand how easy it would be to gaze into those hypnotic depths and become lost. This particular power had nothing to do with his vampirism. She suspected that Nick had this special brand of charisma long before LaCroix altered the course of his life. "What brings you here at four a.m., Nick? I phoned Captain Cohen and reported what the autopsy revealed, so you know you don't have a case. What's up?" Natalie queried. Nick was standing in the doorway to her office, staring at the computer screen. 'Dammit!' Natalie thought. 'Did I remember to turn off the monitor?' Peeking around Nick's wide shoulders, she saw that she had not and that he was avidly reading what was displayed there. Walking over to her desk, he picked up one of the copies of her resume. Holding it up by one corner, as if it were something unspeakably foul, he waved it at her and said, "Care to explain this?" Natalie felt her temper flare. "Sure, it's a piece of paper being held by someone that has absolutely no business being in here," she snapped. Nick felt his own anger start to simmer. "So, were you planning on telling me about this before or after you got the job? Or were you even going to bother telling me? Maybe you just intended to send me a postcard from the Rockies? Dear Nick," he continued in a voice that was heavily laced with sarcasm, "Having a wonderful time, sure glad you're not here." "How dare you!" Natalie sputtered, suddenly furious. "Don't you dare presume that you have the right to question anything I do, Nicholas B. Knight! You don't consult with me on personal choices in your life. What makes you think that you have carte blanche to interfere with mine?" "This!!" He shouted, then grabbed her shoulders and pulled her into his embrace. Holding her against him in a vice-like grip, his lips descended with lightning speed to claim hers. In her anger, Natalie's immediate reaction was to turn away from his kiss, but he moved his hands to cup her face and effectively immobilized her. His mouth covered hers in a kiss that was filled with passion and possession. His tongue immediately plunged within her mouth to stroke her own tongue with an urgency that took her breath away. He pulled away enough to draw her lower lip into his mouth and gently sucked upon it. Nat whimpered. Nick's mouth slanted across hers again and again, effectively cooling her anger while at the same time stoking another fire deep within her. Nick moved his hands from her face and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her closer to his hard body, making her very aware of just how aroused he was. "Don't leave me, Natalie." He whispered into her ear. Gasping for breath, Nat pushed against his chest, needing some space to collect her scattered wits. Nick reluctantly let her go. Natalie immediately put some distance between them. She walked into the living room and sat down on the love seat. Nick followed as if he planned on joining her. She waved him into the chair on the other side of the coffee table. When he was seated, she looked at him questioningly. "What's going on, Nick? Why the passionate entreaty all of a sudden? Are you afraid that I'll abandon the search for a cure? I won't, you know. I can continue my research anywhere. I have all the information that I need. If I find anything new, or if I think that I may be approaching a breakthrough, there would be nothing to stop you from coming to visit me in Vancouver or wherever I may be. I hope that you will visit me occasionally anyway. That's what friends do, right?" Nick looked like a puppy that had just been kicked. Giving her a sad smile, he said: "Is that what you believe this is all about, Natalie? That I don't want to lose you because I'm afraid of losing my last chance at redemption, my opportunity to return to the light? Well ... you're right." Natalie's head shot up and her eyes grew round at his confession. Even though she kept telling herself, over and over during the three years since she met him, that his interest in her was purely on a professional level, her silly heart still hoped for something more. The friendship that grew from their association was an unexpected bonus, but it was obviously strictly platonic to him. To think that he had instigated that passionate kiss merely to manipulate her into staying and continuing her research, hurt her beyond bearing. Nick watched the parade of emotions that crossed Nat's expressive face. He saw the disbelief, the hurt and the mortally wounded pride. He hurried to explain. "You are right, Nat, but not in the way you think. I truly believe you are my last hope of regaining any shred of my humanity, but I'm not really sure my redemption will be through any 'cure' that your brilliant mind will discover. YOU are my deliverance from the evil within me. YOU are my salvation and my light." "I love you, Nat." He concluded quietly. It was amazing how such a simple sentence could wreak havoc on your respiratory system. Natalie looked at Nick in utter mystification, unable to believe she had actually heard him correctly. Nick smiled at her, finally allowing all the love and desire that he felt for this incredible woman to show in his eyes. "I do love you, Natalie," he continued. "I believe that I have loved you from the very first night we met. When you stayed and faced me, instead of running from the morgue. I could hear your heart racing with terror as you confronted a creature that should only exist in nightmares, and yet you bravely approached me. I have never known anyone so courageous and so willing to risk herself for the sake of others. You always try to do the right thing, Nat, and because of that, I find that I can accept no less from myself. You are showing me the way to atone for the evil of my past. I would be lost without you." Natalie looked at him with concern mirrored in her lovely eyes. "Nick, please don't put me on a pedestal," she said, looking very uncomfortable. "That's always a very scary place to be. I'm human and I have faults and weaknesses just like everyone else. Remember when Gault was killed? When I found out that he was dead, there was a small part of me that danced with glee. A part that took great pleasure in the knowledge that he was gone and could not hurt another child." Natalie looked at him with tear filled eyes as she continued, "I must confess that there was also a tiny part of me that hoped he had not died easily, that he suffered as much as he made my little goddaughter suffer. I hope he realized he was dying and was about to join the other monsters in Hell. I hope the thought terrified him. I'm no saint, Nick." Natalie finished sadly. Nick stood, walked over and joined her on the love seat. He pulled her into his strong arms and enveloped her in a warm embrace. Kissing the top of her auburn head, he said softly. "I know you aren't a saint, Nat, no one is." What I'm saying is that you never allow the tiny part of you that rejoices in the death of a murderer to rule your life or interfere with your making the right decision. You know your dark side exists, but you never allow it to control your actions. In the end, no matter how personally painful it may be for you, you will always pick the way that is just. That's what I admire about you and it's one of the reasons I love you so very much!" Gently cupping her heart-shaped face in his powerful hands once more, Nick began softly kissing her eyelids, the tip of her small, upturned nose, and across her cheeks. This sensual exploration was conducted at a leisurely pace until his soft, full lips were once again brushing across hers. Groaning, he deepened the kiss as he felt his loins tighten in reaction to the wonderfully warm and enticing woman who now responded so ardently to his seduction. After being denied and repressed for so long, Nick's appetite for her demanded to be appeased. He kissed his way from her now swollen lips to the soft shell of her ear. He ran his tongue around the inside curve and used just the tip to gently probe inside. He then blew softly, causing Nat to shiver with delight. He followed the curve of her jaw with his lips and tongue, occasionally nipping the flesh lightly, causing her to moan as she threaded her fingers through the blond silk of his hair, pulling him closer. Standing up, Nick reached down and effortlessly picked Natalie up, tenderly cradling her delectable body against his chest. Looking deeply into her eyes, he said in a voice deepened by emotion, "Natalie, I'm going to take you to bed. If you want me to stop, tell me now. I will understand if you're frightened, Nat. Truthfully, I'm a little scared myself, but this just feels so right. Are you willing to see if love truly does conquer all? If you don't want to try this, now is the time to say so because I don't honestly know if I'll be able to stop later." Natalie wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him softly on the lips. She whispered in his ear: "We'd better close the curtains in my bedroom. The sun will be coming up soon and I won't have you smoking in bed." Nick looked startled at first, and then his mouth broke into a wide grin. Hugging her tightly, he chuckled, "You'll pay for that remark, woman." Natalie had a big grin of her own when she replied, "Ohhhh, I sincerely hope so!" Turning on his heels, Nick carried this funny, aggravating and thoroughly captivating woman into the bedroom. He fully intended to see to it that all of her hopes and wishes came true. Nick carried his sweet burden into her bedroom, which was dimly lit by the full moon shining outside the bedroom window, bathing them both in a ghostly light. Stopping beside Natalie's inviting double bed, he admired the way the moonbeams reflected in her eyes, which were filled with love and desire. He smiled tenderly, and brushed a feather-light kiss across her full lips. He gently touched his lips to hers, again and again until she moaned and wriggled against him. She parted her lips invitingly and he responded by once again pulling her bottom lip into his cool mouth and sucking gently, sweeping his tongue across the plump morsel. Natalie's breath fanned across his mouth as she sighed in reply to this intimacy. Nick smiled a secret smile ... there were far greater pleasures to come, and his lovely Natalie would move from sighs ... to moans ... to shouts of fulfillment before this night was over. Slowly, he lowered her feet to the floor and pulled her close. Moving his hands to cup her lovely heart-shaped face, he simply stood and drank in her beauty. Running his fingertips over the silky softness of her cheeks, he looked deeply into her brilliant eyes. He found it so hard to believe that this strong, lovely, and courageous young woman actually *loved* him. Not only did she love him, but she also trusted him ... and was willing to face the beast inside him to prove it. Nick felt humbled by her faith in him, and fervently hoped that he would not let her down. Gently holding her face between his large palms, he slowly leaned down to find her lips once again. Natalie melted against him with a small sigh of welcome, and he could feel a stirring in his loins as her tongue darted out to meet his. It swept around his mouth, finding every corner and exploring it--brushing over his teeth, making his fangs twitch in response to her unsuspecting stimulation. Her tongue rubbed across one of the wickedly sharp tips, and she jerked in surprise. Pulling back slightly, her eyes met his. Giving him a small, Mona Lisa smile, she threaded her fingers into the vivid gold of his hair and pulled his mouth down to hers once more. Her tongue again rubbed across his teeth, caressing his still descending fangs, urging them to drop fully. When they did, she purposely impaled her tongue on one of them. His mouth filled with the unbelievably rich taste of her blood, and his eyes glittered gold in response. Locking his lips around the delectable tidbit, he began to suckle ... feeling her essence filling him, seeing her life unfolding before his minds eye in tantalizing glimpses. Nick could feel his manhood stirring to life as he swallowed the intoxicating nectar. Releasing her tongue, he slid his hands from her face, down her neck and gently kneaded her shoulders. He didn't say a word, but the passion in his gold-dusted blue eyes spoke volumes. Sliding his hands from her shoulders, he allowed them to trail ever so softly over her collarbone, until they came to rest on her breasts. Natalie's breath caught as Nick gently caressed the full mounds, running his thumbs teasingly over her rapidly tightening nipples. His hands once again began their journey, this time to the small of her back. He pulled her into a tight embrace, making her very aware of his growing arousal. Tipping her head back to look at him, he immediately took advantage and claimed her lips once again in a searing kiss. His tongue sank deeply into the sweetness of her mouth as he clasped her soft form against his hard frame. Reluctantly breaking the kiss, Nick stepped back and stood looking at her. Natalie had not bothered to change after arriving home, and still wore the peacock-blue skirt and ivory silk blouse she had put on that morning. He began to slowly unbutton the blouse, taking his time with each small button, making her heart race with expectation. He carefully pulled the blouse out from the waistband of her skirt, and undid the last two buttons. With both hands, he caressed the smooth skin of her waist, and slowly moved up to cup her breasts, which were still hidden from his view by her lacy bra. Sliding his hands up to her shoulders, he gently removed her blouse and allowed it to fall to the floor. His fingertips whispered across her skin as he slowly slid the straps of her peach-coloured bra off her shoulders. The cups slowly fell away from her ripe breasts, allowing Nick's hot gaze to feast on their full beauty at last. Natalie's breath caught in her throat at the look of raw desire she saw on his face, and wondered if her own gaze mirrored his. She could feel her belly clenching with need, and an ache grew deep within her. It was an emptiness only he could fill ... "Nick ... I ...," she whispered huskily. "Shhh ..." he breathed in response, "Just let me look at you, Nat. Dear God, you're lovely." This last was said with such sincere reverence, she felt almost overwhelmed by the rush of love she felt for this incredible man. Seeing the love shining in her eyes, he couldn't resist pulling her to him for another kiss. Releasing the hooks of her bra, he then slid his hands down her naked back to the waistband of her skirt. Finding the button, he released it and slowly slid the zipper down. That done, he allowed it to fall to the floor where it pooled around her slender ankles. Stepping back, he drank in the sight of her, standing in her stocking feet, wearing only peach satin bikini panties and a matching garter belt holding up taupe stockings. "Natalie ..." he murmured, his voice thick with need. Silently, her eyes telling him everything he needed to know, she walked up to him and slipped his jacket off. After it dropped to the floor, she began to undo his shirt. As the hard planes of his chest came into view, Nat stopped to kiss the cool flesh as it was revealed to her. Mischievously, she gently bit his nipples, and then ran her tongue over the hard nubs, causing Nick to inhale sharply. "Vixen," he rasped. He quickly threw off his shirt, and taking her by the hand, he guided her over to the bed. Throwing back the comforter and blankets, he gently pushed her down and softly commanded that she turn onto her stomach. Nat did as she was bidden, and rolled over. Kicking off his shoes and socks, he joined her on the bed, straddling her hips. Slowly, tenderly, he gently massaged her back. Running his hands in delightful circles, he heard her moan softly in enjoyment as her muscles loosened and relaxed. He ran his hands over her silken skin, taking great pleasure in touching her soft, heated flesh. She smelled wonderful, like sunshine and meadows, and he inhaled deeply, enjoying every aspect of this moment. Moving down her small form, he undid the clasps holding the stockings in place and slowly rolled them down her shapely legs, his fingers trailing feather-light over her sensitive skin. Tossing them aside, he then employed his talented hands to gently knead the muscles of her legs, causing her to fairly purr with delight. His touch was caressing as he slowly slid his hands up to her panties. Before she could take another breath, he had stripped the panties and garter belt from her body and she was now totally naked. Nick was running his hands lovingly over the rounded curves of her bottom, and Natalie felt another rush of desire as he began igniting her passion once more. She tried to turn over, intending to help him rid himself of the rest of his clothing, but Nick was not allowing it. He moved her hair out of the way and then she felt his lips on the back of her neck, causing goose bumps to rise all over her body. Nick kissed his way to her ear, and then ran his tongue around it before pulling the lobe into his mouth and gently nipping. Changing direction, he kissed his way back along her neck, between her shoulder blades, and then ran his cool tongue down her spine to the flare of her buttocks. Placing his hands on each side of her hips, he gently urged her to turn over. Dipping his head down, he ran his tongue in a teasing circle around her belly button. Natalie's stomach muscles contracted in response, and Nick reached up to caress her breasts as he kissed a path of fire to those plump mounds. He kissed each nipple in turn, and then used his tongue on the taut peaks, making them harden instantly. Nat moaned low in her throat as her breasts seemed to grow fuller, arching her back so as to give him even greater access. Nick suckled first one, then the other tight bud, enjoying the feel of their nubbly surface against his tongue. His fangs were throbbing with need, and he had to take great care not to injure her delicate skin with the lethal points. He was determined that she would enjoy every aspect of this encounter, and although he knew he couldn't complete the act without taking her blood, he wanted her to be so mindless with pleasure that she would welcome that intimacy when it came as well. As he caressed Natalie, his jeans were becoming increasingly uncomfortable as his manhood became more and more engorged. Her soft moans of pleasure as his cool tongue laved her quivering breasts only served to further fuel his ardor, and he continued to stiffen almost to the point of pain. He rubbed his denim-encased erection against her thigh, growling with barely-contained need at the delicious friction. Rising up onto his knees, he undid the button and zipper of his jeans, relieving the pressure on his turgid flesh. Natalie watched him, her large blue eyes smoky with desire. Sitting up, she reached out to help him ease his jeans and briefs down over his hips, releasing his pulsing shaft at last. Stepping onto the floor, Nick quickly rid himself of the unwanted garments, and rejoined her on the bed. Pushing him down on his back, and straddling his upper thighs, Nat began doing some exploring of her own. She ran her hands across his wide shoulders, and then down over the hard surface of his chest, to his flat stomach. Continuing her downward journey, she gently clasped his throbbing member and began to stroke him, his groans of pleasure urging her to continue. Natalie watched as his rock-hard penis jerked and lengthened even more with the direct stimulation she was giving it, and her belly clenched with anticipation as she imagined what it would be like to have him buried deep inside her. Sliding further down, she bent over and took him in her mouth. His hips jerked involuntarily, and she heard him growl--a deep, primitive sound that sent a thrill of sensual danger through her. Grasping his shaft at the base, she started a rhythmic up-and-down motion, applying just enough suction to drive him to the edge, but not over it. Nick gasped and threaded his fingers through her fiery hair, his hips picking up her rhythm as he gently rocked his hard length into her hot, talented mouth. Suddenly pulling her back, he then pulled her up the length of his body and kissed her with a passion that took her breath away. His tongue plunged boldly into her mouth, fighting a lover's duel with hers, and she could feel his rigid cock, still hot and slick from her loving, probing between her thighs. Rolling her onto her back, Nick once again began caressing her breasts, squeezing and rubbing his palms across the hard points of her nipples. His hand then dipped down to the juncture of her thighs, stroking the damp, downy curls there before insinuating a finger into the slick folds. He found the hard nub of her clitoris and began rubbing it, causing Natalie to gasp loudly as her hips began undulating to the rhythm of his finger. Nick began kissing a hot path down her belly, stopping to gently probe the cup of her navel with his tongue. Gently parting her thighs, she felt his breath caress her intimately, and then her world exploded in sensual pleasure. As Nick loved her with his lips and tongue, Natalie felt her muscles tightening in preparation for the release that was fast approaching. He held her hips prisoner within his large, strong hands as he continued his amorous assault on her senses. Nick laved the delicate tissues with his tongue, sending wave after wave of intense pleasure coursing through her. She writhed with the erotic stimulation, breathing his name in soft, feminine surrender. Nick felt her muscles suddenly tighten and Nat's hips lifted off the mattress. She screamed his name as her orgasm washed over her, the intensity of it causing her back to arch like a bow. She thrust her hips upward, pushing herself closer to Nick's ravenous mouth, her moans now coming in short, breathless gasps. Nick's manhood was throbbing with a need so great he felt that he would surely explode. Dragging himself away from the sweetness of her femininity, he positioned himself between her quivering thighs. Gritting his teeth in an effort to be gentle, he began to ease his throbbing flesh into the fiery heat of her. Her tight muscles gripped him lovingly, and he hissed with the incredible pleasure of it. Awash in a languorous sea of fulfillment, Natalie had barely noticed Nick moving up her body until she felt the rigid length of him as he prepared to make them one. She practically sobbed her welcome as she felt his hardness filling her, taking away the emptiness, and uniting their bodies as well as their hearts at long last. Wrapping her legs around his hips, she threw her arms around him and kissed him deeply. She rocked her hips against his hard loins, allowing him to sink deeply inside. When he was sheathed to the hilt, her actions urged him to begin his thrusts. He pumped into her steadily, building another fire inside her. Her nails scored his back, and she ran her open mouth across his shoulder to his neck, where she nipped him. He responded heatedly, growling loudly, and she watched, unafraid, as his eyes glowed red and his gaze fixed on the throbbing vein in the side of her neck. His thrusts came faster, and he pounded into her with an insistent need as his lips peeled back, baring the glistening, lethal fangs. "I love you, Nick . . ." she whispered, and tilted her head to the side. She felt him move closer, felt his breath on her neck, hot and fast, and then felt a sharp pain as his fangs slid into her flesh. She gasped with the ache of his penetration, but then the stinging stopped as his fangs retracted and she felt his lips lock onto her throat as he began to suckle. She felt the rhythmic pulling of his mouth, the sweep of his tongue across her skin, heard him swallow. She was immediately flooded with images of Nick's life, both past and present. Visions of him over the centuries; in the beginning, when the vampire guided the course of his life, and later, when the desire to reclaim his humanity became too overpowering to ignore. She also felt his intense and absolute love for her and his pleasure in this union. She sensed that his climax was quickly approaching, and her own excitement increased along with his. Nick's movements became more frenzied as her blood communicated her love to him. Her trust, her desire and her pleasure were all transmitted to him through the taking of her blood. He thrust into her a final time and then his body grew tense as his own orgasm pulsed through him. His penis was buried deep within her as it pumped his cool semen into her core. He broke away from her neck and shouted his fulfillment. Natalie held him close, her own world about to come apart again as his excitement fueled her own. She was his totally--her body, her blood, her soul all belonged to him. He was the other part of her, her soul mate, and her completion. She closed her eyes and gave herself up to the wonder of loving him as she felt another orgasm swiftly approaching ... Natalie awoke with her head cradled on Nick's bare chest. She was laying on her side, cuddled up against him, one leg tossed across his hard thighs, with his strong arms lovingly wrapped around her. She didn't want to move. Nat couldn't imagine a nicer way to wake up than in this wonderful man's embrace. She almost couldn't believe the profound change that had occurred in her life in the short span of the last few hours. Nick had confessed his love for her and then had proven his love in the most delightful ways imaginable. He had thrilled, excited and satisfied her beyond her wildest dreams. Nat's whole body tingled when she remembered his passionate caresses and her lips were still swollen from his fiery kisses. They had made love many times before sheer exhaustion had demanded that they sleep. She moved to turn her head and winced at the tenderness on the side of her neck. The puncture marks left by Nick's fangs were throbbing dully but Natalie believed it was the sweetest pain she had ever endured. He had tasted her blood many times during the course of the night, but he had limited himself to small sips and she didn't feel any ill effects from the loss of blood. Nat smiled as she recalled the last time they had made love, just as the sun was about to colour the horizon. Deep in the throes of passion, at the peak of his excitement, Nick had bitten her again. She had gasped when she felt his fangs pierce her flesh. The sudden, sharp pain was followed by the most erotic sensation that she had ever experienced. It was as if Nick flowed into her mind as well as her body. She felt Nick's ardor, felt his powerful hunger for both her body and her blood, but above all else... she felt his deep and absolute love for no one but her. In that moment, all doubts Natalie had concerning his feelings were banished forever. She basked in the wonderful warmth of his love and desire so much that when he withdrew his fangs from her throat, she pulled him back to her neck. She wanted nothing more than to prolong the wonderful closeness between them a little longer. "Please, Nick... don't stop." She whispered to him, arching her neck in invitation. She traced the sensual line of his lips with the fingertips of one hand and said, "Drink some more, my love, taste me again!" Nick kissed her gently on the lips and sadly shook his head. "No, Natalie, I don't dare take any more from you. It is incredibly erotic, I know, but I don't want to hurt you. Your blood is ambrosia to me, as intoxicating as the finest wine and I don't want to take the chance of becoming lost in the rapture of it. I will drink from you again. Soon, if you wish it, but first, you will need to recover." With that, he gave her a long, cherishing kiss and pulled her up against him. Wrapping his arms around her, he said: "The sun has risen, Nat, and I must sleep for a while. Nothing will give me greater pleasure than to awaken later to find you still in my arms. Go to sleep now, Sweetheart." With those words, he fell into a deep slumber and appeared to be still sleeping soundly. Natalie decided to test just how deeply asleep he really was. She started trailing delicate kisses across his chest. Slowly, gently, she began to kiss the side of his neck, a very erogenous zone, as she had learned such a short time ago. Vampires responded heatedly to having their necks licked or kissed. When she had done it last night, Nick's eyes changed from the gold of arousal to the carnal red of lust. He growled loudly and clutched her tightly against him. If anything was going to rouse him now, this was it. Natalie grinned wickedly as she continued her sensual ministrations. She was lightly nibbling on the skin just over Nick's jugular and was terribly disappointed when her actions elicited absolutely no response from her golden-haired vamp. She stopped her gentle attack on his slumber and was about to roll onto her other side when she felt his arms tighten around her. Faster than she could blink, she found herself on her back with Nick poised above her, giving her a fang-filled smile. His eyes a glittering gold, he leaned down and playfully ran his tongue over the vein that was suddenly throbbing wildly in her throat. "Playing with fire, are we?" He purred as he allowed his fangs to lightly graze her neck, causing her to shiver as a frisson of desire ran through her. "Now that you have stirred the beast, what do you intend to do about it?" In answer, Natalie pulled his face to hers and tenderly kissed him with all of the love that was in her heart. She gently ran her tongue over his fully descended fangs, thrilled at the deep moan that her action caused him to voice. She massaged his muscular shoulders and ran her hands down the strong line of his back as she felt him respond to her silent declaration. When she finally moved her lips away from his, she whispered in his ear: "I love you so much, Nicholas DeBrabant Knight! I love every part of you, both the man and the vampire. There is no part of you that is not precious to me. You have made me so happy." Natalie's statement was filled with emotion as her lovely blue eyes filled with tears of joy. Wrapping her arms around him, she hugged him tightly as she felt his love for her vibrating through their new bond. "The blood bond." Nick had called it. It was a permanent link between them that was forged when Nick bit her and tasted her blood for the first time. It was a form of wordless communication that would get stronger with each subsequent encounter, or so Nick informed her. The scientist in her wondered at the machinations of it, exactly how was the bond formed? While the woman in her simply enjoyed the marvelous closeness that it created. Through it, she could feel Nick's love for her and she could also feel his needs, his desires. She now understood the battle that he waged each and every night. The beast within him was terribly seductive and very, very powerful. She felt the vampire's unrelenting need to possess a victim totally, the almost overpowering urge to hunt, to kill. The incredible sensuality of knowing another person absolutely, with nothing held back, sharing their life through the taking of their blood. Natalie's admiration for Nick's strength and control rose even higher when she realized just how great the temptation really was. Nick gazed adoringly down upon the face of the one woman he truly loved above all others. He had known many women in eight centuries and loved a few, or so he thought, but nothing he'd ever felt in his past compared to the emotion and feelings Nat inspired within him; this feeling of oneness, of completion. With her, he truly believed that his soul might be redeemed. They had proven that together they could hold the beast at bay. The proof was right in front of him, lying so warm and vibrant beneath him. He had made love to a mortal woman and she was still alive. In this case, at last, love had truly conquered all. It had vanquished the vampire's unholy need for death and had shown him that with the right woman, he had greater strength than he had ever believed possible. When he had taken her blood, her essence had burst across his senses. He felt as if he were finally home. She filled him with warmth, love and a wonderful sense of belonging compared to nothing he'd experienced in his lifetime. His heart beat a half dozen times in quick succession and he was no longer alone. They were meant for each other. Together they would triumph over the evil that stained his soul throughout the centuries. Together, they would find the answers they both had sought for so long. Nick leaned down and captured Nat's lips with his own. She returned his kiss with an ardor that stirred his own passion, simmering just beneath the surface. He felt her arch her delicious body against him in invitation. It was an invitation that he was delighted to accept. Love Conquers All By: C. Brady Comments can be sent to: fbrady@interhop.net All feedback is welcome!