ã2004 Knight Blade By: Cheryl Pillsbury The sun has risen high into the deep blue sky with no clouds in sight. The sun highlighted the entire city. People very busy rushing around to their jobs and children leaving for their school. Nick had just joined the rat race, and drove slowly into the heart of the city. He came across a new building next to his bank. He parked his car and climbed out. He locked the door and placed his officer's card in the window. He stood upon the sidewalk and looked up. The sign had read Cambridge Kendo Club. He looked around him and carefully entered the building and stood off to the side very quiet and watched. The class was just coming to an end. Two men were slowly fencing and defending. Their movements were pure poetry. Not a single flutter or sound was heard. As they stood straight and honorably bowed, one spotted Nick in the background. He smiled widely and bid his associate goodbye. Nick met him halfway. They hugged, laughed, and greeted each other warmly. "Nick." Michael replied, happily. "Michael, it's been so long. When did you return?" Nick asked. "Last week, how did you know? I would have called but I needed a home, work, and a phone." Michael told him. "LaCroix told me." Nick replied. "You look fantastic. So much has changed." Michael expressed warmly. Nick smiled. "Same here. Lunch and play catch up? My treat." "You're on. Let me change. Come on, I'll show you around." Michael said. "Japan, how was it?" Nick inquired. Michael exhaled, "Beautiful". "Any special lady?" Nick asked. "One, but she chose another. You?" Michael questioned. "I'm engaged. Molly Ebourn." Nick said, proudly. Michael laughed, "Fantastic, can't wait to meet her." "Later." Nick said. Nick sat upon the bench as they were catching up. Suddenly, a scream echoed in the distance. They hesitated for the moment then Michael led the way to the basement door. Nick stepped in front and pulled out his gun. He showed Michael to remain quiet that he would lead the way now. He carefully touched the doorknob and slowly turned it. They cautiously walked down the stairs and saw a young man standing in shock staring at something. Nick asked Michael to wait on the stairs and Nick walked further down to the bottom. He quickly looked to the left and there he saw the same vision of horror. Nick pulled out his cell phone and called it in. Michael quietly came down to the bottom of the staircase and saw it as well. A woman lying was on the floor in a pool of blood. Michael gasped at the sight and silently said her name. Nick helped the gentleman up the stairs with Michael leading the way. Nick found a blanket and wrapped him up. Just as Nick was about to speak, Forensics and Paul came in. "Downstairs, left. Paul, go with them. I'll be down in a few." Nick said. "Cool. You okay?" Paul replied. Nick sighed, "Yeah. Thanks." "Let's get busy." Paul suggested. "Medic's, he's in shock. Michael, talk to me." Nick said. "Her name is, was Janine Nolan, twenty-two years old. She was one of my students." Michael replied, shaking. "Sit down, talk." Nick requested. As they sat down and talked, downstairs they were investigating the crime scene. ************* We scan over to the FBI building and there were two-corner office's where papers and files covered a man. Suddenly his phone rang and stretched to grab it. "Sims." Sims replied. "We've been found. Janine is dead." He told him. "Thanks stay on the other two." Sims said. "Yes sir." He complied. "Damn," Sims whispered. He quickly stood up walking out of his office and down the long hall to the office at the end. Allen was working on the computer when Bob strolled in all fluttered. Allen heard him sigh and looked up. "What's wrong?" Allen asked. "We have a code one in Toronto." Bob said. Allen stunned, "What?" "One dead, Dani's staying on for the other two. The locals are on it. You need to assist." Bob explained. "Who's on it?" Allen inquired. "You're friend, Knight." Bob answered. "I'm gone." Allen said, smiling. "Keep me informed." Bob ordered. "Done." Allen replied. Bob left his office as Allen prepared for his trip back to Toronto and see Nick and Paul again. ************** As he flew out, we return to the Kendo Club where they had just finished up when Kathy and Paul approached Nick. He excused himself from Michael so they could discuss the case. "Hey, guys." Nick said. "I'm guessing. She was there for about twelve hours. One gun shot to the head." Kathy told him. Nick stunned, "Pro-hit?" "Yeah," Kathy said. "Anything else?" Nick asked. "Later, see you then." Nick replied. "Thanks." "Hey, what you got?" Paul asked. "Not much. You?" Nick queried. "Her name was Janine Nolan, 22. She was one of Michael's students here." Kathy said. "A pro-hit. Why?" Paul questioned. "Not sure yet. Michael." Nick said. "Yeah," Michael whispered. "Do you have a file on her? Like her family or why she was here?" Nick asked. "Yeah, in my office. Come on. She was here studying Kendo. Why?" Michael explained. "Keep this quiet." Nick suggested. "No problem." Michael answered. "It was a pro-hit?" Paul queried. "Pro, here. Why?" Michael asked. "Don't know yet." Nick said. "Here's the file. Return it when you're done." Michael requested. "Sure, thanks. We'll do lunch another day." Nick told him. "Thanks." Michael whispered. "Here's my card and address." Nick said. Paul sighed, "Later". "Thanks again. Let's go." Nick replied. Nick and Paul left him alone in the office to mourn the loss of his student. They quickly ran outside and he unlocked the doors. They climbed in and Nick fished for his keys. "What are we involved in?" Nick queried. "Mob-hit." Paul whispered, nervous. "I don't like the feel of this." Nick said. "Same here; time for the sad deed." Paul said, sighing. Nick exhaled, "Damn," Nick started the engine and carefully pulled away. He slowly drove to the address that they had found in the file. He slowly arrived and carefully pulled into the driveway. He turned the engine off and they climbed out. Slowly strolled up the path to the front door and Paul rang the doorbell. "Are we questioning them?" Paul asked. "Let's see how they handle the news first." Nick suggested. "Can I help you?" he asked. "This is Detective Coletti and I am Detective Knight, may we come in?" Nick asked. "Sure," he answered. They carefully stepped inside passed him and in the doorway. A woman appeared and stood at his side. Nick quietly cleared his voice to speak of the bad news softly. "Is there a problem?" he asked. "Is your daughter's name Janine Nolan, and tending the Cambridge Kendo Club?" Nick inquired. "Yes, you found her." He queried. "You reported her missing." Paul replied. "Yes, this morning. She never came home last night, and that's not her at all." She expressed, scared. "I'm truly sorry, but Janine was a short time ago in the basement of the Kendo Club." Nick told them. "She's…" he started, sobbing. "Yes. I'm sorry." Paul replied. Nancy quickly collapsed into her husband's arms and cried. He held her tight and shed a few tears of his own. Nick slowly handed him a card. "We need to talk about her, if it's all right?" Paul queried. "How?" he asked. "Sir," Paul whispered. "I need to know." He whimpered. "Gun shot. Sorry, that's all we know at this time." Nick explained. He exhaled, "Thank you. Please, let yourselves out." "Thank you." Nick whispered. They quickly left their home and slowly walked to his car, he unlocked the doors and they climbed in. Nick hesitated a moment behind the wheel. "What's up?" Paul asked. Nick exhaled, "I hate telling parents their child's dead." "It bites." Paul replied. "True," Nick replied. "Now what?" Paul inquired. "Home for some sleep. I haven't seen my cousin yet. Then the station to solve another puzzle." Nick answered. Paul exhaled, "Done," Nick painfully started the engine, and pulled out of the driveway heading for Paul's building. He stepped out and Nick headed home. He slowly drove into his spot and parked the car. He rode up the elevator to his place. As he entered his home, he saw LaCroix sitting in a chair reading a book sipping a glass of wine. LaCroix heard the door glanced upward and saw the sadness in his face. He closed his book and stood to greet him as he approached. "Nicholas, what's wrong?" LaCroix asked. "A young girl was found dead in my friends club this morning." Nick told him. "Sorry. How was the trip?" LaCroix queried. Nick smiled, "Fantastic". "Molly?" LaCroix inquired. "Sorry. She said yes. Paul and Carla are engaged as well." Nick told him. LaCroix grinned, "I'm very happy for you, all of you." "Thanks." Nick whispered. "Care to join me and we'll talk about it." LaCroix queried. "Sure," Nick replied. As Nick removed his shoes putting his things away and the gun in the drawer; LaCroix prepared a glass of wine for him. He strolled into the living room and carefully handed it to him. LaCroix sat down at the other end of the couch and faced him. Nick sipped his wine then slouched into the couch and stared deeply into his wine glass. He and LaCroix sat upon the couch for most of the night discussing the new case and his new life with Molly. Around midnight or so they quietly retired for the night. ***************** Those few hours slowly passed and Nick was cozy in his warm bed and all wrapped upon his blankets. As he rolled over to get even more comfortable, his eyes ran rapid under his eyelids for a dream he was witnessing. He was watching a man through a window that reached in through a broken window, floated downward, and dropped him. He saw himself flying overhead with fire red eyes and fangs and frightened the man completely. He suddenly sat up in his bed in a cold sweat. Rubbed his face and looked all around him even under his blankets. Suddenly his phone rang which gave him a jolt to the nerves. He reached over and grabbed it. "Knight," Nick said, stuttering. "Hey, man, you okay?" Paul asked. "Yeah, I think so. Bad dream." Nick replied. "I'll bring the coffee. See you in thirty." Paul told him. Nick inhaled, "Later." Nick reached over and hung up the phone. He slowly climbed out of the bed and stumbled into the bathroom. A few moments passed a flush then the shower. He carefully stepped into the warm water and placed his face into it to wash away the fright he got earlier. He turned slightly and washed his golden hair. He leaned down turning the water off and stepped out onto the bath rug grabbing his towel to dry his entire body off. He wrapped it around his waist and strolled over to his dresser to grab some work clothes. Tossed them onto the bed dropped the towel and proceeded to get dressed. He took a hold of his watch and exited his room to the hallway. Nick strutted down the stairs and stood by the table behind the couch. Suddenly, a slight knock upon the door and in walked Paul all smiles. Nick just glared at him and the big smile on his face. "What's the smile for?" Nick asked. Paul grinned, "Carla." "Don't tell me anymore." Nick said, crinkling his eyes. "Not that." Paul replied. "What then?" Nick queried. "She moved in last night." Paul said, happily. "Wedding still on?" Nick inquired. "Oh yeah. We're trying to save money and share expenses. You know." Paul explained. "Good idea, I guess." Nick hesitated replying. "What about you and Molly?" Paul asked. "Oh, I don't know, I…" Nick replied, hesitant. "Come on. I got the coffee; we'll talk on the way." Paul suggested. Nick grinned, "Lead on." They carefully carried their coffee and Nick grabbed his things off the table and his gun in the drawer and exited the loft. They rode the elevator down to the caddy and Nick unlocked the doors. They climbed in and he started the engine. He placed his coffee in the cup holder, and carefully pulled out into traffic and headed for the police station. ************** Nick parked the car along the left side of the building, and turned the engine off and climbed out. They strolled across the pathway up the stairs and entered the building. They slowly signed in and suddenly caught a glimpse of Reese at Nick's desk. They cautiously approached him and feared the look upon his face. "Morning, guys." Reese said, greeting them. "What's up Cap?" Nick asked. "First the good news then the bad news." Reese said. "Uh-oh," Paul whispered. "Follow me, good news first." Reese requested. All three slowly walked down the corridor to the interrogation room. Reese slowly opened the door and let them pass by. They saw Allen standing next to the chair. All three shook hands, smiled, and greeted each other warmly. They turned, to face Reese for the bad news. They all sat down around the table very quiet. Reese looked to Allen and gave him the floor silently. He leaned forward to draw their attention to a very serious matter. "Bad news time. A few months ago, the feds put three witnesses to a major hit under protection here. Janine was one." Allen briefed them. "Mob," Paul uttered. "In a way. I can't give out too much because of the other two. His name is Bazan Pantel. He ran a huge drug/gambling ring. We managed to put most of them away or buried them. Sadly, he got away. He's back and he's here. I'm here to assist and end it, fast." Allen explained. "What else?" Paul asked. "He's great at hiding so he's hard to find. He has no heart, nor a soul. He kills period. Five years ago he slaughtered ten people and three survived, barely." Allen told them. "Evil dude." Paul sighed. "Ice-cold." Allen added. "Damn, any files on him?" Nick inquired. "There on your desk." Allen answered. Nick exhaled, "Thanks." "I need to see the club. I have a man on staff there." Allen requested. "I'll take you. My friend Michael owns it." Nick said. "Great," Nick replied. "Let's get started." Paul added. Reese led the way to the door as they left and went there separate ways. Reese returned to his office and the others hung at Nick's desk. Nick quickly sat down to read the file and warmed up the computer. Paul pulled up two chairs to him and Allen to join in. Nick danced upon the keys as the watched. "It's been quite awhile. Anything new?" Allen queried. Nick smiled, "Molly and I are getting married." "It's about time. Awesome, when?" Allen replied. "We haven't gotten that far yet." Nick said. "Paul?" Allen queried. "Same here. Me and Carla." Paul answered. Allen exhaled, "I'll be broke." "Not yet. What's this?" Nick questioned. "What you got?" Allen asked. "Twenty-five years ago, he burned a building down out in California. It had over three hundred people in it. He was never seen after that until five years ago with that slaughter." Nick quoted to them. "What is that guy?" Paul said. "Some people called him the devil." Allen said. "Pure evil to me." Paul agreed. "I agree." Allen said. "Diddo. I didn't know that. We were too young then. How old is this guy?" Nick inquired. "Doesn't say; no record found; damn," Allen said. "Okay. Time for me to play, you two go to the club and I'll play around." Allen suggested. "Meet us at the Raven. LaCroix would love to see Allen." Nick said. "Cool." Paul replied. Just as they were about to turn and leave the building Nick's phone rang and gave them a slight jolt. Paul stretched over, and grabbed the phone and quickly handed it to him. "Knight," Nick announced. "Hey, Nick, pop in." Kathy said. "On my way." Nick replied. Nick handed the phone to Paul in turn hung it up for him and glanced in his direction. Nick fixed his jacket and pulled out his keys. "Kathy. She's got something. Let's go there first then the club." Nick requested. Paul smiled. "Cool." Nick strolled by Allen and led the way out and down the stairs to his car. He carefully unlocked the doors and they climbed in. He started up the engine placed the gear into drive and pulled away from the station and down the road to the Forensics building. He carefully pulled up along the curb out front and parked the car. He turned the engine off and exited the car. He locked the doors and ran up the stairs to Kathy's lab. ************** As they entered her lab, they saw her sitting at her desk with a glowing smile upon her face as she hung up her phone. They quietly strolled in and stood by her desk. She looked upward and jumped slightly from their presence. Kathy stood up and shook hands with Allen. "Welcome back." Kathy said. "Sorry about the shock." Nick apologized warmly. "No problem. Hey, Nick, I heard the news, very happy for you." Kathy replied. "Thanks. What you got?" Nick inquired. "Over here." Kathy requested. They slightly turned towards the slab where Janine was lying under a sheet. Kathy reached over to direct their attention to the wound in her head. She gently turned her head side ways to expose the entry wound. She pointed at the hole to show the black residue that surrounded the hole. She reached into the metal pan by her side and removed a silver ball covered with black residue. "What is that?" Nick asked. "First, the black residue in and around the bullet hole is gun powder, very old gun powder. Is that the pellet that made that wound, it's also covered in gun powder. I'm guessing late eighteenth century." Kathy explained. "What?" Nick asked, stunned. "I checked it twice. What we're looking for is a musket." Kathy told them. "Musket?" Paul questioned, puzzled. "Yeah. A very old one." Kathy replied. "Man," Allen uttered. "I'm not sure where you can even look." Nick said. "Thanks, Kathy." Paul said. "Sorry, guys. I'll keep looking." Kathy replied. Nick sighed, "Call me." "Will do, later." Kathy said. "Ciao." Paul replied. They carefully left the lab and allowed Kathy to continue her work. They exited the building walked down the stairs to the shined up caddy. Nick unlocked the doors and they climbed in. Nick hesitated for the moment; Allen took notice and expressed his concern. Allen leaned over and lightly tapped his forearm. "Hey friend. Where's your brain?" Paul asked. "Eighteenth century." Nick said. "Why?" Paul inquired. "Who or what is this guy?" Nick questioned. "I don't know where he's originally from, but he's a living nightmare. You said twenty-five years ago, he burned three hundred, and five years ago, he slaughtered ten. God knows what else he has done. He needs to be away permanently." Paul replied. "A musket?" Nick questioned, puzzled. "Where it's old, it left no clues behind. Where?" Paul queried. Nick sighed, "Maybe." "Every gun now has its own little signature. A musket doesn't just gun powder and flint to fire it." Allen said. "Where to look?" Nick asked. "Hey, your cousin might know. He seems to know a lot about that era." Allen suggested. "Later. Club next." Nick said. "Let's roll." Paul suggested. Nick placed the key into the ignition and started the engine. He observed his surroundings and cautiously pulled away from the curb then drove quickly to the Cambridge Kendo Club in the heart of the city. Nick turned left then right and parked out front of the club along the curb. He turned the engine off and they stepped out of the car. He locked the doors and walked up and into the club. *************** As they entered the huge hall, they saw a young man in slow motion creating moves of Kendo. They watched in pure amazement of the grace and flawless motion. The young man, Michael, suddenly stood stiff and tall, bowed slowly and then rose. He saw Nick in the distance and warmly waved him in. Allen followed closely behind. "Nick." Michael said, happily. "Hey Michael. This is a friend of mine, Allen Straton." Nick said. "Hello, welcome. Are you a cop also?" Michael asked. "FBI. Is Dani here?" Allen queried. "In the office, why?" Michael asked. Allen exhaled, "We're old friends." "Sorry. Down the hall to the right." Michael told him. "I understand, don't worry. Thanks." Allen said. "So Nick, what's going on?" Michael inquired. "Still working on it. Police case, I can't discuss with you, sorry." Nick answered. "That's okay. Do you remember your Kendo?" Michael replied. "I did that?" Nick inquired, surprised. "Yeah. Come on." Michael suggested. "Maybe after the case is done." Nick said. Michael smiled, "All right." "There's Allen, got to go. We're meeting at the Raven; join us." Nick requested. "I'll see you there. Half an hour," Michael said. "Great," Nick said, grinning. "Lunch time, I'm starving." Allen said. "Michael will meet us at the Raven." Nick replied. "Cool, later." Paul replied, happily. They warmly shook hands and left the club with Michael alone. They strolled up to his car, and he unlocked the doors and they climbed in. Nick fished for the keys while his brain was going crazy with thoughts. "What's up, man?" Allen asked. "Musket." Nick said. "And?" Allen queried. "Molly. She runs the Gallery; maybe she'll have something. Let's go there first then the Raven." Nick said, grinning. "Good. I want to meet her." Allen replied. Allen exhaled, "You met her once before." "It's been awhile. Come on, get moving." Allen said. "Yes, sir." Nick replied, saluting. "Funny," Allen said, sighing. Nick started the engine and quickly drove away from the curb heading for the Gautreau Art Gallery. He spotted an empty spot out front of the building. Nick quickly pulled in and turned the engine off. They climbed out; Nick led the way inside and down the corridor to Molly's office. He quietly stood in the doorway and observed Molly examining a painting. Allen quietly stood behind them. Nick unaware of Allen walked into the office and warmly wrapped his arms completely around her waist. She placed the painting down and turned to face him. They embraced and kissed each other very affectionately. "Hello." Molly whispered. "Hello." Nick replied. "How's your day?" Molly asked. Nick smiled, "Perfect now." "Hmm. What's for lunch?" Molly requested. "What do you want?" Nick asked, warmly. "Excuse me." Allen jumped in. "Sorry. Molly, remember Allen Straton?" Nick inquired. Molly smiled, "Hi Allen." "Hello. You finally roped him." Allen said. "Yeah." Molly said, warmly. "Good. Uhm, Nick." Allen replied. "Hmm." Nick mumbled. Allen exhaled, "Musket." "What? Oh yeah, Molly, do you have anything on muskets?" Nick asked. "Third floor, right." Molly told them. "Let's go." Allen said. "You two go, I need to finish this before tonight." Nick suggested. "All right. I'll collect lunch later." Paul said. "Try dinner." Nick replied. "Oh boy. Love you." Molly said. "Love you, too." Nick replied. Nick placed a gentle kiss upon her red moist lips. They smiled at each other, and quietly left her office heading for the elevator. Allen pushed the button and the doors slowly opened and they stepped inside. Nick pushed the number three button, and it slowly rode upward. As it came to a complete halt and the doors slowly reopened, they exited the elevator and stepped to the right. As they approached the small room, they had felt as though as they left the twenty-first century and traveled back to the eighteenth century. Nick however, had the odd feeling of comfort, as though he was home, but not really. Allen came across a display case and whispered to Nick to walk over to his direction. As he approached, he too saw the many muskets of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. He felt amazed by the grace and horror of the guns. "That's scary." Allen said. "But beautiful." Nick added. "What?" Allen asked, stunned. "The beauty of how they were made, 1840; that's the nineteenth," Nick replied. "Yeah. Look at this one." Allen suggested. Nick inhaled, "Musketoon, 1758." "One handed shot." Allen said. "Yeah." Nick said. "I see this one in a lot of movies. Musket, no year." Allen said. "Mid-nineteenth century," Nick replied. "Look at that blade." Paul replied. "If the pellet doesn't kill you that will. Kathy said something about flint. Well, these two have flintlocks. The one from 1840 doesn't. The 1758 has a brass barrel the other is steel. I wonder if you we could test for that." Nick explained. "All guns now have there own signature. We could send it to the FBI weapons specialists, maybe." Allen suggested. "Great. Hold on." Nick requested. Nick slowly pulled out his cell phone, quickly dialed up Forensics and reached the Doc just as she was leaving the lab. "Forensics." Kathy replied. "Kathy, Nick. Can you send a file and the pellet to the FBI weapons lab? Maybe they can test the metals." Nick requested. "Sure thing." Kathy answered. "Thanks. Here, you call. Meet me downstairs in Molly's office." Nick said, running. "Animal." Paul replied. "What?" Nick asked. "Nothing. Thanks." Allen replied. "Okay." Nick replied. Nick quickly rode the elevator down to Molly's office where she was sitting on her desk. He peeked his head in and gave her a warm smile. "Hey." Nick said. "Hey, yourself." Molly replied, smiling. "We're done, thanks." Nick said. "Great. Here's a file on the guns upstairs. It may help." Molly told him. Nick smiled, "You're awesome." "Are we talking about the file?" Molly queried. "No." Nick whispered, smiling. He slowly strutted up to her and warmly wrapped his arms completely around her again; they kissed each other with every ounce of energy they could find. Nick stroked her entire back and Molly did the same also squeezed his buttocks. Just as they were about to forget where they were, Allen peeked his head in and loudly cleared his throat. "Sorry to ruin your fun, but its time to go." Allen said. "All right, later," Nick replied. "Oh yeah." Molly said, seductively. "Love you." Nick said. "Love you too, darling." Molly replied in return. Nick gave her a quick peck upon her forehead, and slowly left the office following Allen outside. Nick took in a deep breath of air and they walked down the stairs to his car. Nick unlocked the doors and they carefully climbed in. Nick searched for the keys while Allen had a slight grin on his face. "You okay?" Allen asked. "Uhm, yeah, got them." Nick said. "Cool. Beer time." Allen inquired. "That's a file Molly put together of the muskets. I'll show them to LaCroix and get his opinion." Nick suggested. "Let's go." Allen said. Nick inserted the key and started the engine. He carefully pulled away from the curb and headed for the Raven. He saw an empty space out front of the club and turned the engine off. They climbed out of the car and he locked the doors. They strolled up the sidewalk and into the club. As they walked down the stairs, they saw Paul and LaCroix engaged in conversation and sharing a drink. They quietly approached them and announced their presence. "Are we interrupting something?" Nick asked. "No. You were a naughty boy." Paul said. Nick smiled, "I was?" "Yes. Drinks, gentlemen?" LaCroix inquired. "Yes and we need to talk." Nick replied. "Follow me. I'll send Scott over with the drinks." LaCroix said. "Cool. Hello again." Allen said. LaCroix grinned, "Always a pleasure." LaCroix led the way with Nick close behind. He told Scott about the drinks leading Nick into the backroom and LaCroix extended his hand offered the couch to Nick. He slowly sat down with LaCroix by his side. Nick carefully opened the file to show it to LaCroix for his opinion of the muskets. "What's the problem?" LaCroix asked. "Eighteenth or nineteenth century muskets." Nick said. LaCroix exhaled, "Powerful weapons." "A young girl was executed by one." Nick told him. "Really? There are many types of muskets." LaCroix replied. "Flintlocks?" Nick inquired. LaCroix exhaled, "That also." "Damn," Nick sighed. "Musket's were a basic gun compared to today's weapons. They basically, used black gunpowder, flint and sulfa. You needed to load the gun and use the metal rod to compress it before firing it. Then you load the pellet and fire." LaCroix explained. "Where can you buy one of these?" Nick asked. "Most Internet website would have them. Also a place called Young's General Store on 109/25th Street." LaCroix told him. "Thanks." Nick said. "Do you know who performed the execution?" LaCroix inquired. Nick exhaled, "Someone called Bazan." "What?" LaCroix questioned, stunned. "Bazan, you know him?" Nick inquired. "Yes, somewhat." LaCroix said. "Any ideas of where we can find him?" Nick asked. "Not at the moment, but I will keep my eyes open." LaCroix told him. "Thanks. I'll be out tonight." Nick replied. "Any date set?" LaCroix asked. Nick exhaled, "No." "I see." LaCroix replied. "See you later. Thanks." Nick replied, sighing. "My pleasure." LaCroix replied, concerned. Nick gave LaCroix a slight slap upon his thigh standing up and strolled out to his friends. He noticed Michael had just joined in. He walked up and greeted him with a slight hug and a smile. "Hey." Nick said. "Hey. Sorry I'm late." Michael replied, apologizing. "Okay guys, my place to finish up. Then I have a date." Nick said. "Uh-oh," Allen replied. "What?" Nick asked. "He'll be late tomorrow." Allen said. "Late for what?" Michael inquired. "Work," Allen replied. "No way," Nick said. "Let's bet." Allen suggested. "Hey." Nick replied. "Can I join in on that?" Michael requested. "Okay, enough." Nick said, frustrated. "Five bucks," Allen suggested. "Got it," Michael replied. "Me too," Allen agreed. "Not funny. If I win, you guys are buying." Nick said. "You're on. You lose, you buy for all." Allen suggested. Allen smiled, "Done. Come on." They casually strolled across the dance floor and walked up the stairs to the outside. All the while LaCroix was observing with a slight smile and slight envy for Nick. Scott noticed LaCroix and quietly stepped up behind him tapping his arm. "LaCroix, what is it?" Scott asked. "A home, his work, friends, and a wife; his life is complete." LaCroix replied. Scott inhaled, "You're his family. He needs you also." "I suppose," LaCroix sighed. "I know he does." Scott said, smiling. LaCroix smiled, "Let's finish up." "What's changed?" Scott asked. "Bazan has returned." LaCroix answered. Scott gasped, "Uh-oh. That's trouble." "Yes; and he doesn't know Nicholas is human." LaCroix said. "That is bad." Scott said. "Yes. Let's go." LaCroix suggested. As LaCroix and Scott continued with the business of the Raven, Nick and his friends had just entered his place. They all sat down in the living room. Nick grabbed a round of beers, and served them carefully sitting next to Paul on the couch. "You're cousin hasn't changed a bit." Paul said. "He's slowly warming up." Nick replied. "A little," Paul added. "Maybe. He's a good man." Nick said. "You're place has changed." Allen told him. Nick smiled, "Paul and Molly helped." "Looks great." Allen said. "Thanks." Paul answered proudly. "Hey, what time is it?" Nick asked. "Six o'clock." Molly replied. "Molly," Nick said, pleased. Molly smiled, "Nick," "I'm late." Nick replied. "Not yet." Molly told him. "Let's roll guys." Paul suggested. "See you in the morning." Nick said. "Later," Allen responded. "Hey," Nick sighed. As they left the loft, Nick got up and strutted up the stairs to Molly embracing her warmly. She stood upon her toes to kiss him. "Give me five to change and we'll go eat and dance." Nick said. Molly grinned, "I'll help you." "It may take longer." Nick replied, warmly. "That's okay," Molly said, grinning. Nick laughed, "Come on." As they slowly try to get ready for dinner and left the loft for the evening, down in the alley below his bedroom window there was someone watching Nick very closely with ice-cold eyes? As he was about to follow him, LaCroix swooped down in front of him and distracted his concentration on Nick. LaCroix just glared at him with a slight grin and Bazan sensed trouble his way. "Bazan, I wouldn't if I were you." LaCroix replied, threatening. "You have no claim on him." Bazan said. "Nicholas is human now. No one is allowed to touch him, ever." LaCroix told him. "Is that a threat?" Bazan queried. "If you wish," LaCroix said. "He destroyed what I had begun three centuries ago." Bazan hissed in anger. LaCroix scoffed, "And you will fail again." "He will pay." Bazan said firmly. "Nicholas is forbidden." LaCroix told him. "What can you do about it?" Bazan asked. LaCroix smiled, "Don't tempt me." "You stay away." Bazan ordered him. "Consider me you're shadow, I will always be there." LaCroix told him, directly. "And then?" Bazan inquired. "I will destroy you, personally." LaCroix replied strongly. LaCroix faced him closely with his vampire eyes and fangs that shined like glass. Bazan returned the same glare and matched his snarl. Then Bazan quickly took to flight and vanished from sight. LaCroix also took to the dark sky and found Nick with Molly at the piano concert. He observed from a distance and yet left them alone. Bazan flew to the waterfront where he found his followers waiting. He slowly touched down unnoticed and quickly clapped his hands to draw their attention to his presence. They slowly turned to face him then quickly bowed their heads to him. He placed his hands up and out in front of him and looked up to the sky then down straight into they're eyes. "Time has come to find the next portrayer. The one who also spoke wrongly of us? This where you will find her, and bring her to me so that she may be punished for her evil lies." Bazan requested. One took the slip of paper as they all nodded in obedience to him. They quickly left him there while they carried out his order. Bazan stood by the pier meditating to the stars waiting for them. ***************** Nick had slowly stumbled in after he took Molly home. He tossed his things upon the table and walked up the stairs to his room. As he headed for the bathroom, LaCroix heard the movements in his room, and quietly left his room and entered his. He stood in the doorway and waited patiently. As the toilet finished running Nick exited the bathroom wearing his lounge pants and a white t-shirt, he noticed LaCroix in the doorway. He entered the room and stood by his side. "LaCroix, something wrong?" Nick asked. "No. How was your evening?" LaCroix inquired. "Very nice. What's wrong?" Nick asked, firmer. "You had mentioned Bazan earlier. What do you know of him?" LaCroix questioned. "Twenty-five years ago, he burned a building with hundreds of people inside and ten years ago he slaughtered ten people with three witnesses. One's dead and the other two are still in hiding. Why?" Nick explained. "No other memory of him?" LaCroix queried. "No. Should I?" Nick inquired. "No. I won't keep you. Get some rest." LaCroix suggested. "You okay?" Nick asked. LaCroix exhaled, "I'm fine. Rest." "Night," Nick said. "Night, Nicholas." LaCroix replied, fondly. Nick slowly stepped over to the bed pulled down the covers and sat upon the bed. He stretched over, set the alarm for the morning slowly climbing into and under the covers. He turned the light off curling up into his pillows and slowly drifted off to sleep. LaCroix observed silently then closed his door and he stepped over to the window taking to flight to the Raven to meet up with Scott. As Nick slept safely in his warm bed, LaCroix returned to the Raven where he saw Scott had finished cleaning the bar. LaCroix quietly approached him and rested upon a stool with his elbow upon the bar. Scott prepared a wine glass of pure blood for him and quietly placed it down in front of eyes. LaCroix caught a glimpse lifted it and inhaled the essence; its flavor. He then placed it down and glanced upward to Scott. "What is it?" Scott asked. "Bazan has returned, and he's seeking revenge on Nicholas." LaCroix told him. Scott inhaled, "That is bad." "Yes it is. You need to be here." LaCroix replied. "Where will you be?" Scott inquired. "Nicholas's shadow," LaCroix answered. Scott exhaled, "If you need help," "Call in two protectors." LaCroix requested. "Mission?" Scott queried. "Seek and hold Bazan. I want the pleasure of witnessing his destruction." LaCroix said. "Done," Scott replied. "Thanks for the drink." LaCroix said, politely. "Keep me posted." Scott requested. "Sure," LaCroix sighed. LaCroix finished his drink walking away up the stairs and outside. He scanned all around him and took to the mid-night sky flew home. He touched down just outside the back landing. He strolled in and looked in on Nick strolled into his room to rest but also enhanced his vampire senses on Nick while he slept. ******************* The few remaining nightly hours passed and the sun rose slowly into the deep blue sky. The sun beamed in through the blinds and glided upward to Nick's face; which caused him to roll over as the alarm sounded off. He reached across and pushed the button to turn the alarm off. He laid back and rubbed his face. Slowly rose and stood up and gave his body a huge stretch. He strolled around the bed and into the bathroom. A few moments passed a flush then the shower. While he got all cleaned up and refreshed, Paul knocked and entered his place. He looked around but heard the shower. He strolled into the kitchen and made a pot of coffee. Grabbed two mugs and poured his. He left a mug for Nick on the counter. He walked over to the couch and sat down turned the television on to the news and patiently waited for Nick to come down. Nick strutted down the stairs and saw Paul on his couch. Paul slowly waved to him; Nick walked into the kitchen and made his coffee. As he approached the couch and sat down next to Paul his phone rang. He leaned up and over and grabbed the phone. "Knight," Nick announced. "Hey, Nick; Paul there?" Reese asked. "Always; why?" Nick queried. "Meet Allen and the lab at the water front, got another one." Reese told him. "Damn, on our way." Nick sighed. "Uh-oh," Paul mumbled. "Sorry. Then report here." Reese ordered. Nick sighed, "Okay. Later." "What is it?" Paul asked. "Number two. I'm not late so you guys owe me." Nick replied. "Done, let's go." Paul replied, exhaling. Nick quickly grabbed his things from the table and left the loft in a hurry. They rode down the elevator to his car. As he started the engine and Paul set up the lights and siren, they quickly drove to the waterfront. As they approached the scene, they saw cruisers, yellow tape, and Allen standing by the fence waiting for them with a very grim look upon his face. Nick carefully pulled up along the curb and parked the car. He turned off the engine and they climbed out. Allen approached them as he locked the doors. "Hey, guys." Allen replied. "What you got?" Nick asked. "Well, he managed to get Alexis. She was tied at the hands behind her back and shot in the back of the head." Allen told them. "Musket?" Paul queried. "Yeah, looks it. But there's something new." Kathy said. "What?" "Her throat was torn open, but no blood anywhere." Kathy explained. Paul stunned, "What?" "Come on." Allen suggested. Allen led the way down the dock near the pier where Alexis's body been found. As they approached, they saw the body lying face down, hands still tied and no blood anywhere. They saw Kathy and stood by her side and she handed them some gloves. They cautiously stepped across the crime scene and stood by the body. "Okay, Alexis Lazin, twenty years old. She was executed, but there's one difference. Come down here." Kathy replied. Kathy knelt down with Nick and Paul at her side. She pulled out her pen and pointed at the base of the skull. "A perfect hole through the skin into the base of the brain. It's not from a pellet. I'll know more at the lab." Kathy said. "Very odd," Nick said. "Nick, in her hand; what's that?" Paul queried. Nick inhaled, "Let's see." Nick reached down and saw a small piece of cloth. Kathy reached for a plastic bag and gently placed it in. She handed it to Nick for his opinion. "Not sure," Nick replied. "Gold with blue lettering. What's that symbol?" Kathy said. "It looks like a Z with a sword through it." Paul described to them. "That's odd. Draw that, we'll run it later." Nick said. "Cool." Paul agreed. "I'm going to put Dani and the third into a safe house." Allen added. "Where?" Nick asked. "Can't tell you, sorry." Allen replied. "Just keep us posted okay." Paul requested. "I will. Later," Allen said. "Call later." Nick requested. Allen inhaled, "Done." "We'll come by later." Nick replied. "Okay." Kathy replied. Nick and Paul left the scene and quickly walked back to his car. Nick quickly sat in his seat and stared into the steering wheel. Paul took notice and lightly tapped his forearm to redirect his attention. "Hey, what's running in there?" Paul asked. "Both girls were executed, but this one has a hole in at the base of her skull and throat torn." Nick answered. "And?" Paul queried. "That symbol is familiar, but it's not." Nick said, puzzled. "Spooky," Paul replied. Nick exhaled, "Yeah." "Would Michael know about swords? He's a Kendo expert." Paul queried. "Before we check in, let's go see him." Nick suggested. "Done." Paul agreed. Nick placed his key into the ignition and started the engine. He carefully observed his surroundings and headed for the Kendo Club. As he approached the club, he pulled up along the curb and parked the caddy. He placed the car in park and turned the engine off. They climbed out and he locked the doors. Paul placed a few coins into the meter and Nick led the way inside. As they entered the door, they saw the place was a complete disaster. Furniture broken, with papers everywhere and Michael was lying on the floor not moving. Paul called it in while Nick ran to him. He knelt down by his side. He felt his wrist for a pulse he was unconscious but alive with a head wound. Paul called in an ambulance while Nick tried to wake him. "Hey, Michael, Michael," Nick said, concerned. "Nick," Michael whispered. "Yeah, can you sit up?" Nick asked. "Think so," Michael answered. "I'll help you. Come on. What happen?" Nick questioned. "Whoa, ow. Allen came and took Dani and John away. No sooner did they leave; two guys came in and asked for them. I said they weren't here and they got mad." Michael explained. "I guess they didn't like the word no." Paul said. "You think. They wore Kendo uniforms, no way to describe them, sorry." Michael briefed him. "Damn," Nick sighed. "They'll be here in a few. Say Michael, what do you make of this?" Paul added on. "Letter Z, and a sword through it." Paul told him. "A what?" Michael said, stunned. "What they wore was called Bogu, protective armor. That's a Shinai, a bamboo sword with four staves or pieces of bamboo that are fitted and held together at both ends by a leather handle, tip and a special string designed to designate the back of the sword." Michael explained. "Someone hurt." Medic asked. "Yeah, he is. Go with them and go to my place. Here is my key, Paul's outside. Kathy, call me when you're done." Nick requested. "Okay." Kathy replied. Nick led the way out of the club and had Paul closely behind him. He unlocked the doors and they climbed in. Nick placed his hands upon the wheel, and took in a deep breath and exhaled slowly. Paul felt the tension from Nick's sigh. He lightly tapped his arm and drew his eyes to his face. "What's brewing?" Paul asked. "Two dead witnesses, one hiding with a FBI agent; Michael's place torn apart, Kendo, swords and this Bazan guy," Nick replied. "Too much at once," Paul sighed. Nick exhaled, "LaCroix knows Bazan." "Can he help?" Paul inquired. "Later. First the station for round-up then the lab." Nick told him. "Let's roll." Paul said. As Nick was about to start the engine, his cell phone rang; he quickly removed it from his pocket. "Knight," Nick said. "Ebourn," Molly replied. "Hey. What's up?" Nick asked. "Can't make lunch, how about dinner?" Molly queried. "Great, when?" Nick asked, slightly begging. "You're place, later." Molly suggested. "Done, love you." Nick said. "Love you too." Molly replied. Nick started the engine and quickly pulled away. He drove through the city to the other side and approached the station. He pulled into the free space on the left side of the building and turned the engine off. As he looked out the window exiting the car, he saw LaCroix standing erect on the sidewalk. Paul went inside after he waved to LaCroix. He just grinned at him as he faded from sight. Nick slowly approached and stood by his side. "What's wrong?" Nick asked. "I heard about the young lady." LaCroix replied. "Michael was attacked. He'll be at the loft later to stay for awhile." Nick told him. LaCroix sighed, "All right," "The other two are in hiding. Allen's on his way to fill us in." Nick said. "I see. Bazan?" LaCroix queried. "No word yet," Nick hissed in anger. "I'll be home later; I need to stop at the Raven first." LaCroix told him. Nick exhaled, "Thanks, later," As Nick left LaCroix's sight and entered the building, LaCroix took to flight and headed to the Raven. While Nick met his friends inside to try and round up what has happened so far. LaCroix floated downward to the backdoor unnoticed. He quietly entered the club and noticed it was unusually quiet. He cautiously walked into the dance hall rolled along the bar observing with his vampire senses and eyes. Suddenly, from his right side Scott appeared with two other vampires dressed totally in black suits. LaCroix sat upon a stool and glared them down. They slowly bowed their heads. "Everything all right?" Scott asked. "No. They're out of control. Who do we have here?" LaCroix questioned. "Two of the best protectors we have. This is Staffon Zorzan and this is Janet Zhao." Scott replied. "A pleasure; you're duties are to protect Nicholas at any cost." LaCroix said. "Sir." Staffon replied. "Bazan has returned and has focused his revenge on him. You do know about his new condition?" LaCroix queried. "Yes sir." Staffon answered. LaCroix inhaled, "Well then?" "Yes sir." Staffon replied, firmly. They quickly walked into the back room and vanished from sight. Scott took notice in LaCroix's condition. He poured him a tall glass of pure blood and placed it in front of him. LaCroix just stared into it lifted the glass upward examining the texture feeling its essence and took a small taste placing the glass down exhaling with exhaustion. "LaCroix," Scott said. "I'm fine." LaCroix sighed, worried. "You need to feed." Scott told him. "Yes. But first, I need to find Bazan before he finds Nicholas." LaCroix replied. "Feed first then fly off. I'll tend to the Raven." Scott told him. LaCroix inhaled, "Something's changing." "You're heart isn't as cold as it was." Scott replied. "Why?" LaCroix questioned. "Vivian and Nicholas, you have found true love, a sense of belonging in their world." Scott explained. "No. I can't be." LaCroix said, refusing to believe. "Yes. We'll talk later. Find Nicholas." Scott replied. LaCroix exhaled, "Definitely." LaCroix swallowed what was left of his drink leaving the Raven through the front door, and observed his surroundings taking to flight to the deep mid-night sky. As he touched down, out of sight, and by the edge of the building watched Nick and his friends exit the building, and climbed into his car driving away. LaCroix took to flight with Janet and Staffon in tow. They slowly followed Nick to the Forensics building and carefully stood by a tree and saw them run. LaCroix slightly turned and looked to them with a very serious glare. They stood very still and bowed their heads to him in silence. "Remember your orders." LaCroix insisted. "Yes sir. Protect Nicholas at all cost." Staffon said. "That includes his friends and Miss Molly Ebourn." LaCroix replied. Staffon gasped, "What?" "Problem?" LaCroix questioned. "No sir." Staffon said. "Well then?" LaCroix questioned. "Yes sir." Staffon replied. LaCroix scoffed slightly, "Then do as you're told." They slowly bowed their heads to LaCroix as he took to flight and slowly headed for home knowing Michael would be there as Nick had told him. Nick slowly walked outside with his friends and stood upon the sidewalk. "Okay, what's going on now?" Paul asked. "Well, Michael is at my place. Maybe he can remember more. Also, Molly's waiting on me, so I'll call him from there." Nick replied. "Lucky you; for me, Carla awaits." Paul said, smiling. "Beast," Nick whispered. Paul grinned, "True". "Okay, enough. I'm jealous. Bye, morning." Allen replied. "Oh yeah," Paul said. "Free breakfast. You guys owe me." Nick announced. "True," Allen said. "Later," Nick replied. They all bid each other a friendly far well and went their separate ways. After a long afternoon of wrapping up this difficult case, so far, Nick strolled up his car, and unlocked his door and climbed in. He started the engine carefully pulled away and slowly headed to Molly's apartment. He parked climbing out, and locked the doors. He started up the path walking through the door and slowly roamed down the hall to Molly's front door. He lightly knocked upon the door and it slowly opened. Molly appeared wearing socks, sweat pants and a t-shirt with a warm smile. He returned the smile to her. "Hello." Molly said. Nick sighed, "Hello." "What is it that you desire?" Molly asked. "Not out here." Nick said, grinning. Molly inhaled, "Come on." Nick strolled by her and she closed it behind him. She stepped up to him and he gently took her into his arms and caressing her warmly. He kissed her passionately as she returned the affection. "I'll take that for you now. Can I use the phone? Michael is at my place and I want to see how he's doing?" Nick inquired. "What happened?" Molly asked. "In a moment; may I?" Nick queried. "Anytime," Molly said, grinning. Nick smiled, "After I call home." "Dinner first," Molly suggested. "I'm starving." Nick said. "You call, I'll cook, and then we eat and talk." Molly replied. Nick smiled, "Perfect," Molly gave him a quick peck upon his cheek and stepped into the kitchen to prepare Dinner for them. Nick quickly grabbed the phone and dialed home. "Hello." LaCroix replied. "LaCroix, hello; Has Michael arrived yet?" Nick asked. "Yes, he's resting upstairs in your room." LaCroix told him. "Let him sleep. I wanted to know if he was there, with you, safe." Nick said. "I see. Where are you?" LaCroix inquired. "Molly's place; any word on Bazan?" Nick asked. LaCroix sighed, "Not yet." "Thanks for your help." Nick replied. "My pleasure," LaCroix said. "I will see you tomorrow night." Nick told him. "Night," LaCroix replied. Nick slowly hung up the phone and met Molly at the table that had already brought dinner in. He slowly sat down and gazed upon his meal. He picked up a fork and tasted the food. He displayed a comfort smile and inhaled his meal. Molly enjoyed hers and watched him. After they had finished, they placed the dishes into the kitchen and they walked into the living room carrying their glass of wine. Sat very close together upon the couch and became very cozy with each other. Molly sat up slightly and placed the glasses down upon the table and then into his eyes. He returned the gaze and then shyly looked away. "Nick, I'm listening." Molly told him. "It appears we're involved with a mob hit case. Two are dead and Allen hid the others away. I hope that they're safe. LaCroix knows this Bazan." Nick briefed her. "It's very scary." Molly replied. "Yes. He kills without question." Nick said. Molly exhaled, "I'm sorry." "Tomorrow we'll have everything from Forensics." Nick told her. "Will that help?" Molly inquired. "Hope so." Nick said, relaxing. "So, what are your plans for tonight?" Molly inquired, seductively. Nick smiled, "I don't know." "How about a nice movie, then bed," Molly suggested. "Massage?" Nick requested. "Sure, okay. Throw some pillows down and I'll get the lotion." Molly replied, laughing. "Great," Nick said grinning widely. Molly exhaled, "You need to move." "Oh, sorry," Nick said. "Come on." Molly replied. Molly stood up and extended her hand to him to get him to move from the couch to the floor by the fireplace. She left to get the lotion while Nick made himself very comfortable on the rug with a blanket under him and several pillows. Molly walked in and noticed all he had on was his pants. She slowly walked over and stood by his side. She slowly knelt down as he rolled over onto his stomach. She sat upon his backside and placed a small drop of lotion upon his back. Molly slowly rubbed it into his skin. Nick warmly soaked it in. He rolled over as Molly stood upon her knees. They gazed into each other's eyes and made love by the fireplace. The few cool night hours passed rather slowly and they spent the night upon the floor snuggled in each other's arms. As the sun rose high and shined through the window upon them, Molly slowly woke up and looked over to Nick's peaceful face. She leaned over and placed a kiss upon his warm cheek waking him up. He looked up into her deep brown eyes and they kissed warmly and smiled. They held each other so tight they could barely breathe. Suddenly, Nick's cell phone rang. He stretched over, and fished through his pant pockets and pulled it out. He gently pushed a button. "Knight," Nick said. "Romeo; breakfast time," Paul told him. "What time is it?" Nick asked. "Nine. Allen's here." Paul answered. "Where are you?" Nick inquired. "Below Molly's window." Paul said, laughing. "I need to shower and get dressed." Nick replied. "I've got your clothes." Paul told him. Nick exhaled, "Thanks." He quickly hung up the phone and looked to Molly. She saw the look in his eyes knew it was serious time. "Paul?" Molly queried. "Yeah," Nick said. Molly inhaled, "Work?" "Yeah," Nick said, sadly. "Shower?" Molly inquired. "Yeah," Nick said, grinning. Molly smiled, "Lead on." "After you," Nick said. "Come on." Molly requested eagerly. They slowly stood up and strolled from the living room to the bathroom. They first took turns using it then Nick slowly ran the shower; they carefully stepped in washing each other off and got all cleaned up. Meanwhile, Paul and Allen knocked on the door and Paul turned the handle and entered the apartment. They heard the shower running. Allen went and sat down while Paul yelled that he was there with the clean clothes. He would leave them on the bed and wait in the living room. Allen saw the blankets upon the floor and pointed them out to Paul. They both snickered at the scene and carefully fixed the floor. Sat upon the couch and watched the news until Nick was ready. Nick slowly walked into the living room as he fixed his belt and shirt. "What?" Nick said. "Nothing," Paul replied, with a smirk. Nick smiled, "Enough. Let's some up." "Okay. Bazan is cruel and ice-cold. He has killed two witnesses so far. Dani and John are in hiding." Allen replied. "He's using some goons that are also using old muskets. They were killed/executed. Alexis had a hole in the base of her skull and throat slashed." Paul added. "LaCroix knows him and his past." Nick said. "How old is he? He knows centuries of things." Allen replied. Nick inhaled, "He reads a lot." "I guess so." Paul replied. "Okay, breakfast then Forensics." Nick told them. "Done," Paul replied. "Let me see if Molly needs anything first." Nick said. Allen exhaled, "Let her rest." "Hey." Nick sighed. "He's joking. Meet you downstairs in the car." Paul said, laughing. "I know he is and okay. Give me five." Nick replied. "Cool. Let's go." Paul said. Paul and Allen slowly stood up, and quickly left the apartment while Nick casually strolled into the bedroom and looking in on Molly. She had just finished getting dressed in casual clothes. He snuck up behind her and held her tight around the waist. She held his hands and smiled warmly. Molly slightly turned to face him and kissed affectionately. "Thank you for a wonderful night." Nick replied, glowing. Molly smiled, "And a great morning," "True. I need to go to work, need anything?" Nick inquired. "Outside of you, not right now." Molly answered. "Tonight is guy's night. Michael was hurt and we need to cheer him up." Nick told her. "Call me." Molly requested. "Done, love you." Nick said, warmly. Molly smiled, "Love you too." Nick placed a hand warmly on each side of her face and placed a gentle kiss upon her forehead. He slowly exited the bedroom and left Molly behind. He walked down the corridor to the elevator and outside to his car. He saw Paul in front and Allen in the back stretched out. He just shook his head and climbed in behind the wheel. He looked at Allen then to Paul and smiled. "What?" Allen asked. "Comfortable?" Nick inquired. "Yeah, oh, sorry," Allen said. "How did you two get here?" Nick questioned. "Bus." Paul answered. "I see. Let's go." Nick said. "Where to first?" Paul asked. "Breakfast, I'm hungry." Nick told them. "I'm sure." Paul replied. "Oh yeah, here, call Michael at my place and have him join us." Nick requested. "Okay." Paul said. Nick started the engine and carefully pulled out and headed to the small café close to his home. Paul explained to Michael where they're going and will meet him there. He spotted the café and quickly pulled in and parked in an empty spot. He turned the engine off and they climbed out. He locked the doors and placed the keys into his pocket. As they entered, the café Michael popped in and they found a table near a window. A waiter came by, and took their orders and left them with a pot of coffee and four mugs. "Thanks for breakfast." Nick said. "You earned it." Paul answered. "True. Michael, do you remember anything?" Nick asked. "I was practicing for the contest and two guys came in, knocked me out and tore the place apart. What were they looking for?" Michael queried. "Dani and John." Nick said. "Why?" Michael asked. "Dani is a fed and his job was to protect the witnesses from the slaughter ten years ago." Allen answered. "Bazan?" Michael queried. "Not so loud." Nick suggested. "Sorry," Michael whispered. "It's okay. He had Janine and Alexis killed, and you were hurt to prove a point." Allen said. "That is?" Michael queried. "That we can't touch him." Nick told him. "Dandy," Paul mumbled. "Not really." Allen replied. "How are we going to stop him?" Paul asked. "We need to find him first." Nick said. "Food time," Paul replied, happily. The waiter placed the food down in front of each of them and he slowly left. They slowly enjoyed the food, coffee, and conversation. ************* Meanwhile, back at the Raven, LaCroix was sitting on the couch in the spare room he prepared. He was in deep thought when Scott entered and observed his condition. He quietly stepped up to him and stood by his side. LaCroix sensed Scott close to him. He cleared his mind and offered the chair to him by a wave of his hand. Scott quickly sat in the chair and waited for LaCroix to speak. "Well?" LaCroix inquired. "They said he was with Molly all night and he is now having breakfast with his friends." Scott reported. "Good. They are observing from a distance giving Nicholas his privacy?" LaCroix queried. "Yes." Scott answered. "I certainly hope so for their sake." LaCroix replied, frustrated. "I'll make sure they do." Scott said. "You do that; any word on Bazan?" LaCroix questioned. "Only that he mainly stays along the water front. The other two men are unknown." Scott briefed him. LaCroix exhaled, "Are they human?" "Yes." Scott replied. "I see. I need to rest, wake me in time." LaCroix requested. "All right; LaCroix, you're not looking good." Scott told him. "Just tired," LaCroix sighed. "Have you fed yet?" Scott asked. LaCroix scoffed, slightly, "Later," "You need your strength to succeed." Scott suggested. "In the fridge by the window," LaCroix told him. "Hold on." Scott requested. Scott strolled over to the fridge, and grabbed a hold of a bottle and pulled the cork out. He noticed the scent was slightly different. He inhaled slightly and surprised by what was in the bottle. He carried it over to LaCroix and grabbed a glass on the way. He stood by his side and poured him a glass then handed it to him. He placed the bottle down on the table and sat back in the chair. LaCroix drank half of the glass down then exhaled slightly. "LaCroix, that's steer blood." Scott said. LaCroix inhaled, "Yes it is." "Why?" Scott asked. "I'm not sure. LaCroix replied. "Are you seeking redemption as well?" Scott questioned, stunned. "I don't know, maybe." LaCroix replied, hesitating. Scott stunned, "Why?" "Nicholas mostly. We'll talk later, I'm tired." LaCroix requested. "Okay." Scott said, concerned. Scott quietly left LaCroix behind with his wondering thoughts. Back at the café, they had just finished eating and they exited the restaurant and stood around Nick's car. They gazed upon the scenery around them and each other. "Okay, we need to go to Forensics but we'll drop Michael off first. Where to friend?" Nick asked. "My club," Michael said. "You need any help." Paul queried. "Thanks, but I'll be fine." Michael told them. Allen inhaled, "Let's do this." Nick unlocked the doors and they climbed aboard. He quickly started the engine and headed for the club. Michael stepped out and went inside after he waved to his friends. Nick quickly drove to the Forensics building and parked along the curb. They all climbed and Nick locked the doors. They quickly ran up the stairs and into the lab. They saw Kathy sitting at her desk frustrated. Nick quietly led the way in and they stood in a row staring at Kathy. She felt their eyes upon her and she gave them a quick glance. She saw three handsome man standing there gazing upon her. "Hello. What do I owe this pleasure to?" Kathy asked. "Answers yet?" Allen inquired. "Yes, and?" Kathy queried. "Hello, Kathy, great to see you." Nick said. "Same here; you look great." Allen replied. Kathy blushed, "Thank you." "M'Lady." Paul said. "Okay, that works. Nick, you stay there and, you two on the other side." Kathy requested. "Cool." Paul said. "Gloves guys; Paul notes," Kathy replied. "Thanks." Paul said. "Observe, gentlemen." Kathy requested. Kathy gently pulled down the sheet and there was Alexis looking so peaceful. She quietly asked Nick to help her roll the body onto its side so they could see what she found out. "Observe." Kathy suggested. "What?" Nick asked. "Okay. They were both killed with the same weapon, look here. Remember that hole I found at the base of her skull." Kathy queried. "Yeah," Paul said. "It's clean, no residue of any kind, except for salvia and metal. Steel, iron based." Kathy said. "What?" Allen asked, stunned. "Yeah," Kathy said. "Salvia?" Nick queried. "Yeah, here's the weird part." Kathy said. "That is?" Paul questioned. "Alexis has a blood loss of about twenty percent." Kathy told them. "Blood loss. The metal you found." Allen queried. "A small steel rod made this hole and the blood was drained from her. The scar tissue shows the flow tracks coming out this way." Kathy explained. "Why?" Nick asked. "Don't know. And I checked the entire crime scene, not enough blood to explain both wounds." Kathy answered. "Odd," Paul mumbled. "Definitely." Allen agreed. "Anything else?" Nick asked. "One print. It took time, but we got a name to match it." Kathy said. "That is?" Allen inquired. "Tau Hoyt, Korean, about thirty, and two hundred pounds. It's in the file Paul has." Kathy told them. "Great. A place to start." Nick said. "When the rest comes in, I'll call you." Kathy replied. "Thanks." Allen whispered. Paul tapped Allen and Nick; they slowly left the lab and Kathy alone. They strolled down the hall and outside. They leaned up against the car in dead silence. Pondering the results Kathy had given them. Nick turned slightly to face his friends. "Okay, guys, thoughts." Nick requested. "I understand the execution; tie them up and the hole in the back of head." Allen said. "But the hole in at the base of the skull?" Paul questioned. "If the blood wasn't at the scene then where is it?" Allen queried. "Question of the day," Paul added. "Bazan has the answer." Nick said. "He seems to be around water a lot. That's where that slaughter took place." Paul said. "And the one twenty-five years ago?" Allen inquired. "That's where I would begin. You guys run that name." Nick said. "Okay, stay in touch, I'll see LaCroix and see what more he knows." "Let's ride." Paul said. They all went to their door and Nick unlocked them. They all climbed in and Nick started the engine. He carefully pulled away, and dropped them off at their assigned spots and quickly arrived at the Raven. Nick pulled up along the curb and parked the car. Turned the engine off and stepped out. He strolled up onto the sidewalk and fished for the key. He opened the door and walked. As he strolled down the stairs, the door closed automatically behind him. He stood by the bar then stumbled into the back room and suddenly heard a noise from upstairs. Nick slowly turned and carefully walked up the short staircase and saw the door was slightly open. He carefully pushed it open and entered the room. Nick's eyes filled with shock of amazement. It was completely furnished and LaCroix was sitting in a chair sipping his wine, and reading a book. Nick thought it was wine, so he quietly walked in and one floorboard creaked and LaCroix looked up, and Nick staring at all the surroundings. LaCroix closed the book and placed it upon the table by his side. He gently carried his glass and stood up to greet Nick. "What's this?" Nick asked, surprised. "My home," Lacroix answered. "Why?" Nick questioned. "After you and Molly have tied the knot as they say." LaCroix said. Nick inhaled, "But;" "No. What do I owe this pleasure to?" LaCroix inquired. "Bazan. I need to more about him." Nick requested. "Like?" LaCroix queried. "Kathy found a perfect hole at the base of Alexis skull which left steel traces. She said blood was taken from there." Nick told him. LaCroix exhaled, "I see." "Why?" Nick asked. "When you return to her have her also look for the fluid that surrounds the brain." LaCroix requested. "Why?" Nick asked, firmly. "Legend has it if you drain the blood and the fluid that surrounds the brain you will regain youth and knowledge." LaCroix told him. "What?" Nick asked, stunned. LaCroix smiled, "It's only legend." "Thank you." Nick said. "No problem." LaCroix replied. "LaCroix," Nick said. "Nicholas," LaCroix replied. "You will stay even after the wedding." Nick queried. "Yes, but here." LaCroix answered, smiling. Nick exhaled, "Good," "You're welcome." LaCroix replied. As Nick turned to leave LaCroix's side, his cell phone rang. He quickly reached into his pocket and pulled it. He glanced into LaCroix's direction as he spoke on the phone. "Knight," Nick announced. "Hey, buddy." Paul said. "What's up?" Nick asked. "Number three, but not a witness." Paul told him. Nick exhaled, frustrated, "Damn, where?" "Pier four." Paul replied. "On my way." Nick replied, sighing. Nick replaced the phone into his pocket and rubbed his face in stress. "Nicholas?" LaCroix queried. "Number three, but not the witness. Why does he stay around the water?" Nick inquired. "Not sure. I'll look into it." LaCroix said. "Later, at home," Nick requested. "All right," LaCroix whispered. Nick lightly touched his upper arm with love of a friend, to LaCroix his son's love; he quickly turned and left LaCroix behind. Nick quickly made his way outside to his car and unlocked the door. He climbed in, and started the engine and carefully drove away. Staffon stayed with Nick but Janet made her way into the Raven to give LaCroix an update. Staffon remained in the shadows to watch Nick and his friends. He parked the car and climbed out. Locked the door and carefully walked along the boardwalk to Pier 4, where he saw everyone there. Paul and Allen caught a glimpse of his shadow and walked over to greet him. They smiled and shook hands. "Hey, guys. What you got?" Nick asked. "Hey, female, about twenty or so, same as Alexis." Paul told him. "All the same?" Nick queried. "Yeah; I called Michael and asked him to go to your place. I think he's in danger." Allen replied. "Why?" Nick asked. "All three plus the one in hiding was part of his club." Allen explained. "Good. LaCroix will be there to watch him. Let's go see the scene." Nick said. They quickly walked the boards and approached the scene. They stood at different ends to find any clues. Nick stood by Kathy and leaned over to whisper quietly in her ear. "Run down." Nick requested. "Exactly the same as Alexis, but this time the injury at the base of the skull has residue. I'll know more at the lab." Kathy said. "Good, have a descent picture of her?" Nick queried. "Here, why?" Kathy asked. "Maybe Michael can identify her." Nick replied. "Great. Call me later." Kathy said. "Nick, over here," Paul shouted. "Let's go." Nick suggested. They slowly walked to the edge of the pier and stood in between Paul and Allen. Paul pointed downward at a white rope covered in blood. They carefully leaned over and looked into the cool water and their floating a bloody body tied up. Paul whistled loudly and people in uniforms came running. Paul showed them the problem. They carefully looked and Kathy gave them some gloves and gently pulling the rope upward. As the body got closer, they carefully laid the body upon the pier and it was obvious how he died, executed. Jack removed the rope, and placed it into a white kitchen bag and placed it next to the body. Kathy knelt down to give the body a quick glance. She slowly stood up, and pulled the gloves off putting them into a bag letting out a long sigh. "Well?" Nick asked. "Only by looking, he died the same way but he has two holes in his throat, not the skull." Kathy briefed them. "What?" Paul uttered. "That's not funny." Allen jumped in. "Sorry, but the holes are there. I'll know more later." Kathy said. "Great," Allen hissed in anger. Kathy ordered the bodies removed, and be delivered to the lab. Nick and his friends silently walked off the pier across the boardwalk and up to Nick's car. He unlocked the doors and they stumbled into the car. Nick started the engine and carefully pulled away. Not one word was said the whole ride home. Silence filled the air and the car. Nick saw his place from a distance and carefully pulled in. He parked, turned the engine off and all climbed out. He locked the doors and they rode up the elevator to his place. As they entered the living room, they saw Michael and LaCroix involved in a serious game of chess. They very quietly walked in, and stood near the table and observed them. Allen waited for Michael to finish his move then let out a long sigh that broke the concentration of the game. "Look, at this. We're dealing with dead bodies and they're playing chess." Allen replied. "The nerve." Paul said. "Really." Allen replied. "I agree." Nick agreed. "Hey." Michael responded. "What's happened?" LaCroix inquired. "Two dead at Pier four. Michael, do you know this girl?" Nick asked. "Oh my God, its Krystal Jolma, she was a student of mine. What the hell is going on?" Michael asked, demanding. "We can't." Paul answered. "Nick, we go way back. Three of my students are dead, one in hiding with a fed. Talk to me." Michael insisted. "All right; LaCroix, what is it?" Nick queried. "Nothing; I need to go out. I'll return soon." LaCroix said. "Okay, becareful." Nick replied. LaCroix exhaled, "I shall." As LaCroix left the loft, Paul and Allen strolled over to Nick's personal computer and Nick sat down with Michael on the couch. Nick tried to explain to Michael about the scene without breaking the rules. Paul kept a small eye upon him. **************** Meanwhile, outside in the alley under Nick's loft Bazan stood silently observing and felt Nick's heartbeat. He suddenly felt a presence around him, a very strong one. As LaCroix swooped in Bazan turned to face him. They snarled but LaCroix kept his manner about him. "Bazan, such a disappointment," LaCroix commented. "He will pay." Bazan said, strongly. "Why the little girls?" LaCroix asked. "They could have ruined my world." Bazan answered. LaCroix inhaled, "I am about to end your existence." "You can't, you wouldn't" Bazan replied. LaCroix grinned, "I could and I mostly definitely can." "No." Bazan hissed in anger. "This shows how memory can play tricks on you." LaCroix replied. "What are you saying?" Bazan asked. "It wasn't Nicholas, it was I, and Tina was delicious." LaCroix told him. Bazan gasped, "What?" "Yes. You were so busy with revenge, it clouded your judgment you did not see the whole picture. Nicholas was there, but it was I who closed you down." LaCroix explained. "You bastard," Bazan uttered with a snarl. "Yes. Here's my final warning to you. You will have your revenge, but you avoid Nicholas. My patients are wearing very thin." LaCroix warned him. Bazan scoffed, "You don't scare me." "Not yet, but you will be when I'm done. Now leave." LaCroix demanded. Bazan angrily took to flight as well as LaCroix to the back door and entered the living room where everyone was enjoying a beer. Nick saw and stood to greet him warmly with a beer in hand LaCroix casually took the beer and glanced at Nick. "Something wrong?" Nick asked. "No." LaCroix answered. Nick smiled, "Come join in." "I shouldn't. There you're friends." LaCroix said, shying away. "Yours too; hey, guys, do you mind if he joins in?" Nick asked. "If he don't; we'll tackle him, tie him up on the couch and make him." Paul said "Yeah, and we'll hold him garlic under his nose until he does." Allen added. "Well?" Nick queried, hoping. LaCroix grinned, "How can I refuse?" "Good, come on. Tell us more about Bazan." Nick suggested. "Later. Drink first." LaCroix requested. Nick laughed, "Now, you've got it." Nick took LaCroix by the arm and escorted him into the living room; they sat upon the couch drinking their beers then waited for Paul and Allen. Suddenly Nick's phone rang and everyone just froze. Nick reached up and grabbed the phone. "Knight," Nick announced. "Hey, Nick, it's Kathy." Kathy replied. "What you got?" Nick asked. "Well, Krystal was killed exactly the same way as Janine and Alexis. But Krystal has two holes in her throat and her blood completely drained." Kathy explained. "What? How?" Nick inquired, stunned. "No clue, still working on it. The next body, sadly, was Tau Hoyt. He too was executed and drained." Kathy told him. Nick, feeling numb, "What?" "Sorry; I'll know more later," Kathy said. "Thanks." Nick replied. Nick quickly hung up the phone and everyone saw the anger building. Paul and Allen strolled over as LaCroix lightly touched his arm to draw his attention to his voice. "Nicholas, what's wrong?" LaCroix asked. "Both Krystal and Tau were executed and drained of their blood." Nick said. "Tau?" Paul queried. "Yeah," Nick whispered. "Square one," Paul sighed. "Damn it." Allen said. "How was the blood drained?" Paul inquired. "Kathy found two holes on their throats." Nick told them. "It's Bela time." Paul whispered. Allen sighed, "Not funny." "Tau was our target guy." Nick said. "Now what?" Paul asked. "Don't know. Bring all the stuff to the kitchen table; it's going to be a long night." Nick said. "I'll make some coffee." Allen replied. Nick exhaled, "Great idea." While everyone gathered up all the files, Nick slowly picked up the phone and quietly dialed Molly's home. Molly all wrapped up in a blanket on the couch watching a movie. She reached over and grabbed the phone. "Hello." Molly said. Nick grinned, "Hey." "What's up?" Molly asked. "Just needed to hear your voice," Nick said. "What happened?" Molly asked. "Body count is four; three girls and one bad guy." Nick told her. Molly sighed, "I'm sorry." "Square one. Sorry, I need to finish this." Nick replied, hesitating. "I understand. Call later." Molly said. "Thanks. Love you." Nick said, warmly. Molly exhaled, "Love you too." Nick displayed a playful grin then hung up the phone and paused for a moment. Paul took notice after he took the computer print out. He stepped over and gave his arm a slight jolt. "Okay?" Paul asked. "Yeah, let's go." Nick replied. Paul and Nick followed Michael into the table and they sat down and discussed the enter case all night long. LaCroix managed to sneak out the back door and met up with Staffon and Janet, a few seconds later Scott joined in. "Al right; Bazan has been told the truth and he has now crossed the line. He has taken four lives. Two he fed on." LaCroix told them. "He'll bring us out into the open." Staffon said. "He must be found, destroyed and no one knows of it." LaCroix ordered. "That will be difficult." Staffon replied. "Janet, you remain at Nicholas side and we'll find Bazan." LaCroix said. "Yes, sir." Janet replied. "Let's go. There's not much time left." LaCroix told him. "Where do you wish to start?" Staffon asked. "It appears everything has happened at the Pier." LaCroix suggested. Staffon sighed, "Like before." "Yes." LaCroix said. "After you," Staffon replied. LaCroix exhaled, "Thank you." LaCroix took to flight with Scott in tow. They flew to the Pier and with their vampire's eyes and senses they carefully scanned the area. As they searched the entire Pier, Nick and his friends are still sitting around the table. ********************** Paul took all the information and notes and fed them into the computer. As he sat down he hit the enter button. The computer began to process everything he put in, and it suddenly stopped and Paul's eyes lit up and yelled very loudly for his friends to join him. They stood up running towards him and they stood behind Paul; they to saw what were on the screen. They smiled and shook their fists in joy. Paul slowly printed it out as they watched. "Victor Zoto." Paul said. "He's my assistant at the club." Michael replied. "Yeah; he's the other bad guy. That's how they found witnesses." Allen replied. "What about Dani and John?" Nick asked. "Let's find out." Paul said. He slowly pulled out his cell phone and secretly dialed the safe house. He stood and waited for Dani to answer a fearful look of horror appeared in his eyes. Nick noticed and tapped Paul on the shoulder to look at Allen. He sensed some trouble in the air. Allen suddenly hung up the phone and looked pale. "What is it?" Nick asked. Allen sighed, "Someone said too late." "What? Let's roll. Bring the file." Paul said. They quickly grabbed everything and ran for the door. As the door opened, LaCroix entered. Nick grabbed him by the sleeve of his jacket and slightly dragged him to the elevator where they rode it down to Nick's car. He tossed the keys to Allen figuring it would be easier for him to drive. Nick sat beside him with Paul and LaCroix in the rear. Allen drove quickly to the safe house up in the hills near the small campgrounds. Suddenly Nick's cell phone rang. He quickly pulled it out. "Knight," Nick replied. "Where are you?" Reese asked. "At the safe house; there might be trouble. Call back later." Nick briefed him. Nick placed the phone back into his pocket. The other guys exited the car and they stood at the hood of the car and carefully examined their surroundings. "Where this is fed territory, I'm boss." Allen said. "Lay it out." Nick requested. "Surround the place and find them; easy enough?" Allen queried. "Too easy, that's scary." Paul said. "I agree. LaCroix, you wait here." Allen instructed. "Nicholas?" LaCroix inquired. "Please, I don't want you hurt." Nick said, pleading. "All right," LaCroix whispered. "Thanks. Let's go." Nick said. LaCroix leaned against the car and watched them quietly approach the cabin. When Nick was out of sight, he took to flight and used his vampire powers to scan the house for any immediate danger. He then observed them with full protection. Each man took a corner of the cabin. Paul went through the back and Nick followed Allen through the front door. With guns drawn, they entered the cabin. They stared at every corner, wall, and doorway. The cabin was unusually clean for two people living there. The met up by the hallway and stood in front of the bedroom door. Allen quietly tested the doorknob and it was unlocked. Paul stepped to the left with Allen and Nick on the right. Allen prepared himself to jump. He gave them each a slight glance then slowly turned the knob pushing the door open and jumped out with his gun drawn. The horror he witnessed turned his head quickly away with a sicken look. Nick and Paul looked in and horrified by the sight. LaCroix sensed his racing heartbeat and flew to his side. A man nailed to the wall with blood everywhere and bite marks all over him. A few flies were buzzing around, but no sign of John. They quickly relaxed and looked into the room, no John. They exited the cabin and met up with LaCroix who was leaning up against the car like before. "Paul, call the lab." Allen said. "I'll stay here, you two check in. I'll meet you at your place later." "You sure?" Nick asked. "Yeah," Allen answered. "Call me if you need anything." Nick told him. "Cool." Paul replied. They climbed into the car and Allen walked over to the cabin and waited for the lab. LaCroix climbed into the rear while Paul and Nick were up front. Nick found his keys and started the engine. Nick glanced into the rearview mirror to see LaCroix. "Home or the Raven?" Nick inquired. "Home, Michael is alone." LaCroix answered. "Oh yeah, thanks," Nick said, exhaling. Nick placed the car in drive and pulled away. As he drove down the road, they passed the lab coming up the road. Nick drove quickly to his home, and LaCroix climbed out pulling away headed for the police station. He saw an empty spot and carefully pulled in. Nick turned the engine off and they climbed out. He locked the doors, Paul grabbed the files, and they ran up the stairs and inside the building. They strolled over to Reese's office and Paul closed the door. They sat down and began to fill Reese in on the scene. "All right guys, tell me where we are right now." Reese insisted. "Did you get the report on the case from Pier four on Krystal and Tau Hoyt?" Nick asked. "Yes. Tell me about the safe house." Reese requested. "Here's the file that will help." Paul said. "We were at my place working. Allen called to check on Dani and John. No one answered so we drove there and found Dani nailed to the wall and John's still missing." Nick explained. "So we have three dead kids, one dead bad guy, and one dead fed." Reese replied. Nick sighed, "Sadly, yes," Suddenly Nick's cell phone rang and interrupted the conversation. He excused himself and quietly pulled out his cell phone. "Knight," Nick announced. "He, man," Allen said. "Allen, what you got?" Nick asked. "A big mess; I will be there in ten. Wait for me." Allen suggested. "Okay. We're in Reese's office." Nick told him. Allen exhaled, "Okay." "Later. It's Allen; he'll be here in ten." Nick expressed to them. "Anything else?" Paul inquired. "He said a big mess." Nick said. "Call your cousin. Check on him and Michael." Reese said. "All right," Nick said. Nick slowly dialed up his home and the phone rang. Suddenly a familiar voice came across, and Nick was able to relax. "Hello." Michael answered. "Michael, you and LaCroix okay?" Nick asked. "We're fine. What's going on?" Michael asked. "Did he tell you?" Nick inquired. Michael exhaled, "Yes." "That's all for now. Call you later." Nick replied. As he hung up the phone and placed it into his pocket Allen just walked in and sat down next to Paul. "Okay guys. Dani had so many holes we lost count after fifty. There were four nails one in each hand and one in each foot. He bled to death from the holes. Kathy will call us when she's ready. However, I found the gun shop downtown that might have sold this musket. The one your cousin mentioned." Allen briefed them. "What about John?" Reese asked. "He's still missing." Allen answered. Nick sighed, "Damn," "Okay guys, this case is nuts. Check out the gun shop let me know what they say. And when you hear from Kathy, call me." Reese ordered. "Yes, sir; let's roll." Nick said. They quickly exited Reese's office and walked out of the building to the outside to his car. Nick unlocked the doors and they climbed in. He started the engine after Allen explained to him where they were going. Paul held the file in his lap. They pulled out and quickly drove down the roads that led to the gun shop. Allen spotted it out of the corner of his eye in the window. "That's it, Young's General Store." Allen said, pointing it out for Nick. "Okay." Nick said. Nick carefully pulled up along the curb and parked the car. He turned the engine off and they climbed out. Nick locked the doors; Allen led the way in and they stood in the middle of the store in total amazement. The store walls were completely covered with guns, thousands of different types. Suddenly, from behind the back wall was an elderly man who approached them. "Can I help you?" he asked. "Are you Hank?" Allen asked. "Yeah, what do you want?" Hank inquired. "Names Straton, FBI, want to be nice." Allen queried. Hank scoffed, "I guess." "Good boy, Paul, show him the file." Allen suggested. Paul handed Hank the file and nervously read the file flipped through the pages grunting at each one. Allen was slowly loosing his patience and Hank was the cause. Allen reached up and grabbed the file standing very close to him almost nose-to-nose. Hank suddenly felt fear fill his entire body. "Well?" Allen asked. Hank hesitated, "I, uhm;" "One, two…" Allen said. "Musketoon; eighteenth century." Hank answered. "Are you sure?" Allen questioned. "Yeah, that gun is very rare and very expensive." Hank told him. "Did you sell one?" Nick asked. "Yeah, about six months ago." Hank replied. "You're annoying me." Allen told him. Hank exhaled, "Sorry, over here." "Thanks, hey guys, look here. Hank?" Allen questioned. "Yeah?" Hank queried. "No away," Allen said. "Right," Paul replied. "I should have guessed those two would hook up." Allen said. "Who?" Hank asked. "Tau Hoyt's dead, but his partner in this, is Victor Zoto. That marks it." Allen said. "The gun." Paul reminded him. "Nick, your cousin would know more. All it says here, that it was a Musketoon, Jordon made, about 1750's. Yo, Hank," Allen replied. "You done yet?" Hank queried. "Do you have pellets that go to this gun?" Allen asked. "Behind your head, right." Hank told him. Allen grinned, "Bye and thanks." They quickly exited the store and he unlocked the doors. They climbed in and looked to Allen for the next stop. Allen sat for a moment and glanced upward. "What?" Allen asked. "Where to sir?" Nick inquired, grinning. "Sorry, Forensics James," Allen requested. "Nick," "Sorry," Nick said, apologizing with a smile "Funny," Allen replied. Nick let out a slight laugh with Paul grinning in the background. He started the engine and carefully pulled away and headed for Kathy's lab. He again pulled up the along the curb and parked the car. They slowly exited the car and Nick locked the doors. They strolled up the stairs and inside the building. As they entered the lab, they saw her leaning upon the slab with her head resting upon her hands. They took great concern for her condition and gently approached her. Nick lightly touched her arm. "Kathy, are you all right?" Nick asked. "Yeah, just stressed and tired. This is driving me crazy." Kathy explained. "We have some clues for you." Paul said. "What you got?" Kathy asked. "The weapon was a Musketoon, mid 1750's and the steel residue you found. The hole in the base of the skulls; were made by the ramrod. Here's a pellet to compare with the ones you have." Allen explained "Fantastic," Paul said with a sigh. "The two holes in the throat?" Allen asked. "Jury still out on that one," Kathy replied. Paul exhaled, "Great," "You're friend Dani, he was killed the same way, but the massive holes were filled with steel residue. His death was a personal one. Sorry," Kathy said. "How do you tell the wife?" Nick asked. "Very easy," Allen answered. "So true," Paul replied. "Now where?" Nick asked. "Food and rest; I'm beat." Allen suggested. "Lead on. Call after you compare those." Nick requested. "Will do," Kathy replied. Nick led the way out of the lab and outside to his car. They walked down the stairs to his car and Nick unlocked the doors. They climbed in and he started the engine. Nick placed the car in drive and drove quickly home. They climbed out and he locked the car up for the day. They rode up the elevator to his place and entered as the door closed automatically behind them. They looked around and no sign of Michael or LaCroix anywhere. Nick ran upstairs to see if they were there, no sign. He quickly used the bathroom and came back down stairs. Allen was on the couch relaxing and Paul was at the fridge. He was about to open the door when he noticed a note on the door for Nick. He read it, and displayed a horrified look and stumbled into the living room with Allen and Nick. Nick noticed Paul and whispered to Allen to look at him. He stood up and stood by Paul's side. He saw the note and glanced at it. He knew what was wrong. "What is it?" Nick asked. "Note for you." Paul said. "And?" Nick inquired. "I have them all, my task is done. Bazan." Paul said, reading the note. "It appears he has John, Michael and Lucien." Allen said. "Damn," Nick hissed in anger. "This man must die." Allen exhaled, "I'll call Scott." Nick quickly picked up his phone and dialed the Raven to tell Scott what has happened. The bartender had answered the phone and passed it to Scott. He sensed something was dreadfully wrong. "Nicholas, what's wrong?" Scott asked. "LaCroix's been taken, by Bazan." Nick told him, slightly shaking. "That's bad. I'm on my way." Scott told him. Nick sighed, "Okay." Nick slowly hung up the phone and rubbed his face from the anger. Paul noticed and quietly walked up to him standing there to comfort him. "What's up man?" Paul asked. "He's on his way over. LaCroix was checking out the Pier, and Michael was here." Nick replied. "Bazan got LaCroix and Victor grabbed Michael." Paul said. "Now what?" Nick asked. Suddenly a knock came from the door and Scott entered the loft. However, he was carrying a package, very long and narrow. He handed it to Nick and saw it was for him. He gently placed it on the table and carefully opened it; amazed by what he saw, a genuine Shinai with a pure bamboo handle; and a solid steel blade. Inside the box was a card he carefully picked it up and all it said was Pier four nine o'clock. "This guy is insane." Paul said. "I agree. What am I suppose to do with this?" Nick inquired. "Fight." Allen told him. Nick gasped, "No way." Suddenly, his phone rang and Allen picked it up. He listened for a moment but a familiar voice came across. He handed it to Nick. "Knight," Nick said. "Ebourn," Molly replied. "Hey," Nick said with a sad smile. "What time are you coming?" Molly asked. Nick exhaled, "Oh honey, can we do it tomorrow night? I have one more thing to do to end this case." "Sure. Love you." Molly replied. "Love you, too." Nick said, warmly. He passed the phone to Allen who in turn hung it up. They all met in a small circle, and planned the next move and bring Bazan down, permanently. *************** Meanwhile; down near Pier 4, an old house along the water. As we peek through the window Michael and John shackled together with duck tape on their mouths, and LaCroix separated from them. He was in the spare-room, one light that hung in the middle of the room and squeaking noises from the rats running around. Suddenly the door creaked open, and in waltzed Bazan carrying a lit candle slowly approaching LaCroix. He looked up and saw him. He greeted him with green eyes and slight snarl. He too shackled to a chair. The shackles had the scent of garlic upon them, which caused LaCroix slightly weakened. Bazan stood by his side and grinned proudly. "LaCroix, you're still here." Bazan replied. "You won't be for long." LaCroix hissed angrily. "Oh please. I said I would have my revenge." Bazan reminded him. "Where are Michael and John?" LaCroix asked. "The other room, for now; are you growing a heart?" Bazan queried. "This is senseless. Let them go, and I will remain here." LaCroix suggested. "No. I want Nicholas." Bazan told him. "He didn't betray you, I did." LaCroix shouted. "Yeah, I know. You will suffer by watching him die, slowly." Bazan said. LaCroix exhaled, "That's not recommended." "I don't remember asking." Bazan told him. "You will pay for this." LaCroix said, moaning. "Bye, LaCroix." Bazan replied, grinning. Bazan lightly tapped LaCroix's upper left arm and strolled out of the room into the other room with Michael and John. Bazan came around to face Michael, while John sat unconscious behind him. "Who are you and why am I here?" Michael asked. "I am Sir Bazan and you are here for Nicholas to find." Bazan told him. "Nick, why?" Michael questioned. "He will die a horrible death tonight." Bazan answered. Michael gasped, "Why?" "He betrayed me and my people." Bazan explained. "You can't." Michael replied, terrified. Just before, he could finish his words Bazan taped his mouth and telepathically placed him unconscious. As he was about to have a bite of Michael, he sensed Nick's presence close by. He felt his heartbeat nearing the house. Bazan flew to the dark side of the house out of sight. Paul and Allen surrounded the house and quietly entered through the windows. Nick carefully approached the front entrance. Before he could open the door unknown to his eyes, Bazan flew out of the house and stood a few feet behind Nick. He was holding a sword and grinned with evil in his mind. "Nicholas." Bazan replied. "Bazan, where are they?" Nick asked. "Inside; I'm here for you." Bazan told him. Nick inhaled, "What is it that you want?" "Revenge," Bazan replied. "For what?" Nick asked. "Come Nicholas, surely your memory hasn't failed all these centuries." Bazan replied, smirking. Nick puzzled, "Centuries?" "You draw my patience. Back in 1748, you destroyed my colony and for what, blood." Bazan told him. "What?" Nick questioned. "You fed upon the weak and then you destroyed your own kind. The one crime among vampires is death to one who kills there own." Bazan explained. "Vampire?" Nick queried. "Nicholas de Brabant, you shall pay for your crimes." Bazan told him. Just as he ended his sentence, he held his sword to provoke Nick into a sword fight. He did the best he could; they banged and clanged the swords. Nick managed to give Bazan a scratch across the arm, then Bazan sliced Nick's chest. They fought, and banged the swords. LaCroix could hear the swords inside. He gathered whatever strength he had left and broke the chains. He stumbled out of the room and opened the door. They ran into Scott and they ran outside where they saw them in a small clearing still fighting. LaCroix sensed Nick losing his strength. "You get Nicholas; I will take care of Bazan, permanently." LaCroix said. "Becareful," Scott expressed concerned. "Just get Nicholas." LaCroix said. "All right," Scott said. LaCroix flew left and Scott flew right. As they approached, Bazan fell and Nick held the sword over his heart. Bazan just laughed and dared him to do it. Scott appeared and stood behind Nick while LaCroix stood over Bazan. "Nicholas, that's enough." LaCroix ordered. "But…" Nick started. "Nicholas, give the sword to Scott and go into the house. Paul needs your assistance with Michael. Nicholas, do as you're told." LaCroix insisted. Nick reluctantly handed the sword to Scott just behind him. He glared at LaCroix then gave Bazan one last look then walked away. When Nick was out of sight, they tended to the immediate problem. Scott held the sword over Bazan as LaCroix looked down at him. LaCroix crossed his hands in front of him and let out a slight sigh. "Bazan, get up and face me." LaCroix demanded. "What do you want?" Bazan asked. "I had warned you about your obsession for revenge. You were told Nicholas was forbidden." LaCroix told him. "I didn't care for your words or your opinion." Bazan replied. "Obviously; any last words?" LaCroix inquired. Bazan smiled, "See you in hell." "I don't think so." LaCroix replied, exhaling. LaCroix looked to Bazan; scoffed him off then looked to Scott and silently gave him the signal. He pulled out a wooden stake and jammed it into Bazan from behind. He yelled and imploded. Suddenly, LaCroix felt Nick's heartbeat racing, he felt trouble was in his path. They quickly flew to the house and observed through the window; Victor holding a sword to Michael's throat and Nick pinned into a corner. They flew into a back window and quietly approached Victor from behind and Scott tapped him on the shoulder then placed the sword along side of his throat. Victor slowly let go of Michael who untied John and carried him outside while Nick remained inside with them. "I strongly suggest you put the sword down." Scott ordered. "Who are you?" Victor asked. Scott smiled, "I'm Scott." "Sword down," Scott demanded. "What if…?" Victor inquired. "Don't even give it a thought." Scott suggested. Nick slowly approached Victor from behind and aimed his gun directly into the back of his head. He pulled the lever back and Victor heard the click noise. He slowly placed the sword down. Nick reached for his handcuffs, and placed them on and slammed him into a chair to sit. Nick placed the lever back and put the safety switch back on and the gun in his belt in his back. He then strolled up to LaCroix and Scott with relief in his eyes. "Where's Bazan?" Nick asked. "He's been dealt with." LaCroix answered. "Is he dead?" Nick inquired. "Oh quite dead." Scott answered. Nick exhaled, "I need to see the body." "Oh that," Scott replied. "It's been handled." "We're all safe and alive. Nothing else should matter." LaCroix told him. "But…" Nick started. "Later, at home." LaCroix replied. "All right," Nick said. As they exited the house and met Paul, Michael, and John outside the rest of the police force appeared. Allen strolled up to Nick but LaCroix and Scott quietly vanished from the scene. Nick saw Jack and he handed Victor over to him. Reese strolled up to them with slight anger in his eyes. "Can you guys explain this?" Reese requested. "Yeah. We'll file a full report in the morning guaranteed." Paul said. "All right; where's Bazan?" Reese asked. "LaCroix said dead and gone." Nick answered. "What? Go and I want that file fast." Reese insisted. "Yes, sir." Nick answered. Paul quickly grabbed the guys and carefully walked away over to Nick's car. He unlocked the doors and they climbed in. Nick quickly started the engine and hesitated for the moment. "Where does everyone want to go?" Nick asked. "You're place. Our cars are there." Paul said. "Oh yeah, let's go. Have a beer before you go." Nick suggested. "You're on." Paul replied. Nick slowly placed the car into drive and drove home. He traveled the long dark roads that led the way there. He carefully pulled into his spot and parked. He turned the engine off and they climbed out. They rode up in the elevator to his loft. As they entered, the door closed automatically behind them. Paul quickly raided the fridge and brought a beer for everyone. They drank a silent toast to the case ending and everyone got out safe. Suddenly, Nick's phone rang and he quietly excused himself answering the phone. He cleared his voice of the beer and listened closely. "Knight," Nick answered. "Hey, Nick; morning about ten." Reese said. "Okay." Nick replied. "Everyone all right?" Reese asked. "Yes. How's John?" Nick inquired. "Sorry Nick, he didn't make it." Reese told him. "What happened?" Nick queried. "His blood loss was too great. They couldn't save him. See you in the morning." Reese explained. "Yeah," Nick said. They all stood silent like statues. They looked to Nick for a reply. Paul approached him and lightly touched his forearm. "What's wrong?" Paul asked. "John died." Nick replied. "What?" Allen said. "His blood loss was too great." Nick said. "Damn. He got the last one." Allen said angrily. "That bites." Paul said. "I agree. Time to go. Later Nick." Michael said. "Same here. See you at ten." Paul said. "Okay. Thanks guys." Nick said. "See you at ten as well. Later" Allen added. "Yeah," Nick said, exhaling. "You okay?" Paul inquired. "Yeah; I need to call Molly." Nick said. They all slowly left Nick alone in his loft. As the door closed, LaCroix appeared from upstairs. He silently swooped down and stood by Nick's side. He felt his heart beating slowly. He came around to face him to draw his attention. "Nicholas?" LaCroix inquired. "LaCroix; was my name de Brabant?" Nick asked. "It was your family name from the past. Mother side I believe." LaCroix said. "Bazan said in 1748 I fed upon his animals and killed one of our kind. Punishment was death. What did he mean?" Nick questioned. "Nicholas," LaCroix said, hesitating. "I also had a dream of me flying with red eyes and fangs, attacking a man. Tell me." Nick said, insisting. "I can't. Except it was a nightmare and Bazan was insane." LaCroix replied. Nick inhaled, "He made it sound like I was a vampire." "A what?" LaCroix queried. "Is it true? Please tell me." Nick said, pleading. "You need some rest. You had to deal with six dead bodies and a friend taken." LaCroix replied. "And a cousin?" Nick queried. LaCroix exhaled, "Yes." "I need to call Molly." Nick said. "It's three in the morning. Call her later. Come, Nicholas." LaCroix strongly requested. LaCroix escorted Nick to the staircase slowly climbing up and walked down the hall. They entered his bedroom. LaCroix stood in the doorway and waited, thinking of how he will solve this problem. As he did, Nick went into the bathroom and few moments later, a flush. He removed his clothes and slipped into his lounge pants. Nick strolled out and stood by his nightstand. He removed his watch, and placed the blankets back crawling in. He saw LaCroix watching him. LaCroix stepped in and stood near his head. "Are you all right now?" LaCroix asked. "My mind is restless." Nick told him. LaCroix exhaled, "Sleep and the thoughts will also." "I'll try," Nick sighed, yawning. LaCroix leaned over and turned his light off. He quietly remained until he was asleep. He placed his hand upon his forehead in hopes to end the questions of his past. "Sarah, if you wish for him to forget his past then do so, or I will be forced to tell him and he may not handle that well." LaCroix prayed softly. LaCroix slowly left his room and strolled into his room where Scott was waiting for him. LaCroix closed the door and approached Scott. "You all right?" Scott asked. "Yes." LaCroix replied. "Nicholas?" Scott inquired. "Forgotten, I hope." LaCroix said. "That was close." Scott told him. LaCroix exhaled, "Too close." "True. I'll return to the Raven, unless you need me." Scott suggested. "We'll see later if it worked." LaCroix said. "Night, LaCroix." Scott said. "Night, Scott." LaCroix replied. Scott took to flight and flew out the window while LaCroix retired to bed. Hoping Nick will forget the words, that Bazan burned into his brain also the nightmares that have frightened him so. ******************* The remaining hours of the night into the mid-morning caused him to slowly roll over and he curled into the blankets. He squeezed and hugged the pillows. Suddenly, his alarm clock sounded off. He reached over and turned it off. As leaned back into the bed his phone rang and quickly picked it up. "Knight," Nick said. "Ebourn," Molly replied. "Hey. I thought about you all last night." Nick said, smiling. Molly laughed, "I'm flattered. Same here." "Are we still on for the weekend?" Nick asked. "My place?" Molly queried. "Okay." Nick agreed. "Time?" Molly inquired. "As soon as I tie up the case at the station." Nick told her. "Okay." Molly replied. "Need anything?" Nick inquired. Molly moaned slightly, "Nice white wine and you." "Always." Nick said, smiling. "Later, love you." Molly replied. "Love you, too." Nick whispered. Nick slowly hung up the phone, and crawled out of bed stumbling into the bathroom. A few moments passed a flush, and then the shower. He carefully stepped into refresh his muscles and mind of a horrible night. While he cleaned up Paul waltzed in with coffee. He heard the shower so he sat upon the couch and patiently waited for him. Nick stepped out of the shower, and reached for his towel to dry off wrapping it around his waist. He strolled into his room by the dresser, and pulled out his jeans then over to the closet removing the purple shirt. He dropped the towel and proceeded to get dressed. As he zipped up, he leaned over for his watch and placed it on his wrist. He walked out of his room down the hall and stairs to where Paul was waiting for him. Paul heard him hit the last step turned slightly and whistled at him. "Thank you." Nick said, grinning. "Molly day?" Paul queried. "Weekend, yeah. Finish at the station, send Allen off, and then Molly." Nick said, eagerly. "What about me?" Paul inquired, pouting. Nick smiled, "Go see Carla." "Everyday." Paul said. "Coffee?" Nick inquired. "Here. Let's roll." Paul suggested. "Lead on." Nick said. Paul led the way to the door, and they rode the elevator down to his car climbing in and started the engine. He saw a free spot out front, so he pulled up along the curb and parked the car. They stepped out and he locked the doors. Ran up the stairs into the building where Reese was waiting for them at Nick's desk. Allen was there also. "Hello, guys. Allen filled me in." Reese said. "And I worked on the report." Allen said. "Mine's in the computer. All I have to do is print and sign." Nick explained. "Great. You're cousin all right?" Reese queried. "Yeah, he's fine." Nick answered. "Okay, good. Print and sign." Reese suggested. Nick exhaled, "Right away." Nick stepped over and began that process. As he did, a man walked in and greeted Allen. He turned to grab Nick and Paul's attention. "Hey, guys. This is Bob Sims, my boss. Boss, Detectives Paul Coletti, and Nick Knight, my friends." Allen said, proudly. "Hello. You guys did a great job." Bob said. "Thanks." Nick said. "No problem." Paul added. "Stay in touch." Bob requested. "Tell Molly, another day." Allen said. "We'll plan a dinner at my place." Nick suggested. "Us too?" Paul queried. "Of course. Have a safe trip home. I have a few stops before Molly's. Here, sign there, and give these to Reese with yours." Nick requested. "Later Romeo." Paul said. "Funny," Nick replied. Nick quickly left the station and ran outside to his car. Reese tried to stop him but failed. Paul handed him the huge file on the case. He started the engine, and pulled away from the curb heading to the Kendo Club to check up on Michael after his ordeal. He pulled up along the curb and parked the car. He placed his police card in the window and walked upon the sidewalk. He quietly walked inside and stood by the doorway. He looked around and Michael appeared from the back room carrying a backpack. Michael saw him and greeted him with a warm hug. "Going somewhere?" Nick asked. "The mountains to heal." Michael told him. "For how long?" Nick questioned. "For a week or two." Michael answered. "I understand; it was rough." Nick said, sighing. "Yeah it was. You?" Michael queried. "I'm going to Molly's. I'm planning a dinner at my place in a few to meet Molly." Nick told him. "I'll be there." Michael replied, smiling. "Great. Call me when you return." Nick requested. "Definitely." Michael agreed. "See you then. Have a safe and fun trip." Nick told him. Michael exhaled, "I will; thanks." Nick and Michael embraced each other then Nick slowly turned and left the club. Nick removed the card and unlocked the door. He carefully pulled away and drove down the street to the florist. He carefully picked out a dozen pale pink roses paid and left. He ran into the liquor store and got a bottle of white wine, paid then left. He opened the back door and placed his things onto the back seat. Climbed in behind the wheel and started the engine. He pulled away and headed for Molly's place. He saw her complex and pulled in. He drove around to her building and found a spot near the front door. He climbed out opened the back door and reached for his things and then locked the doors. Nick strolled up the path and entered the building. He walked down to her door and knocked lightly. Molly opened the door and he passed by. As she closed it, they greeted each other with warm kisses of passion and he gave her the roses and the wine. "Thank you." Molly said, warmly. "Anytime. Can I use the phone? I want to call LaCroix at the Raven make sure he's okay." Nick replied. "What happened?" Molly replied. "We have all weekend." Nick replied. "Go ahead. I'll be in the living room with the wine." Molly told him. "Thank you." Nick whispered. Nick placed a gentle kiss upon her forehead and he grabbed the phone began to dial up the Raven. "Raven," Scott replied. "Scott. Where's LaCroix?" Nick asked. "He's resting." Scott told him. "How is he?" Nick queried. "Better. You?" Scott inquired. "I'm fine. I'm at Molly's if I'm needed." Nick explained. "All right; have fun." Scott replied. "Thanks." Nick said. They hung up the phones quickly and Nick joined Molly on the couch for comfort and love all weekend long. Scott walked up the stairs knocking on the door then entered LaCroix's room. He was standing by the window. Scott cleared his voice to make his presence known. "Nicholas?" LaCroix inquired. "He's with Molly for the whole weekend. He seems more relaxed and unaware of what Bazan said." Scott told him. "Good. Let's hope it stays that way." LaCroix said, exhaling. "Need anything?" Scott inquired. "No. I'm quite well. Night, Scott." LaCroix said. "Night, LaCroix." Scott replied. Has LaCroix succeed in easing Nick's mind from the vampire images. We shall see as time rolls on. Everyone was on his or her own healing trip to do it another day. THE END?