Hi! This is my first posting, on fkfic-l. Nick/Nat and the rest do not belong to me. I'm just borrowing them. Permission granted to post on fkfic-l and Mel's fkfanfic site. Please send all questions, comments, etc.. to kcsmith@hotmail.com. Enjoy! Just For You *Nick Knight was driving home after his shift ended. It was still at least two hours before sun-up, as he had gotten off early. A reward to him and Schanke for having wrapped up a homicide quickly. As Nick was driving along, he saw the flashing emergency lights of a car up ahead of him. Slowing down, to stop and offer assistance, he saw the car and immediately pulled over. He got out of the Caddie and headed over to the stranded vehicle. He saw the driver open the door and step out of the vehicle. He moved closer, then took her hand. "Hi, Nat. What happened?" He asked. Nat looked ruefully at him. She had a grease smudge on her cheek and lingering traces on her hands. "Oh, I don't know. It just decided not to work, all of a sudden." She lightly kicked a tire. "Where's Schank?" Nick smiled at her small gesture of frustration. "Probably home, by now. We got out early." Nat nodded, absently rubbing her cheek, smearing the grease even more. Nick laughed. He pulled out a handkerchief, then gently wiped at the smudge on her face. "Here. You've got grease all over you." Nat's eyes grew wide. "Great. So, not only am I without a car, I'm a mess, too. I knew I shoulda stayed in bed today." Nick smiled at her. "Oh, I don't know, I think you look pretty good." Nat looked up at him, grinning. She was saved from replying, by the arrival of the tow-truck. "Finally." She said, quietly. The driver jumped out of the truck and waved. "Hey, Doc! Stranded again, eh?" "Hi, Michael. Yeah." She took the clipboard from him and signed the top two forms. "If I had any sense, I'd junk this thing and buy a new one." "So why don't ya?" He asked, as he took the clipboard from her. "Who can afford new car payments *and* insurance? I'm up to my neck in bills, already." Nat said. She handed him the keys and then stepped back. Michael hopped in, then tried the ignition. There was a slight 'click', but no other sound. "Bet it's your starter. Geez, Doc. You coulda bought a new car, with all you've spent on fixing this thing." He moved to his truck, to begin loading her car onto it." Don't remind me." Nat mumbled. She retrieved her purse, briefcase and medical bag from her car. Then she stepped back, to stand by Nick. "Can I take you home?" Nick asked her. He had quietly observed the exchange between Nat and Michael. Nat smiled. "Sure." She placed her things into the Caddie. "Hey, Michael?" She called. He looked up. "Yeah, Doc?" Nat gestured towards Nick. "My friend is going to take me home, tonight. Just tell Bob I'll call later." Michael nodded and waved. "Will do. Bye, Doc!" Nat climbed into the Caddie and Nick drove her home. A few nights later, Nick showed up unexpectedly at Nat's doorstep. "Hi, Nat!" He said. "I'm not disturbing you, am I?" Nat grinned at him. "No. I'm just doing some bookkeeping. Come in." She moved to allow him entrance. Nick stepped into her apartment. He looked around, noticing the way her home always felt so warm and inviting. He followed her into the room she had turned into her office. "So, bookkeeping, huh?" Nat sighed. "Yeah. Oh, the woes of living paycheck to paycheck." She grinned at him. Nick smiled back. "Nat? Could ya come downstairs with me? I have something to show you." Nat smiled quizzically. "What is it?" Nick took her hand. "Please?" She nodded, then slipped on her shoes. Following him down to the first floor, then out of the doors of her building. She looked around for Nick's Caddie, but didn't see it. Nick walked up to a new, silver-blue Caddilac Catera, convertable. He grinned at Nat. "Well?" Nat looked at the car. "Nick? Don't tell me you finally gave up that land barge of yours." Nick grinned. "Nope." He shook his head. Nat looked at him, confused. "Then, what's this?" He handed her the keys. "It's yours." Nat looked at him in shock. "Mine?" She shook her head. "Nick, what are you talking about?" Nick pulled her into his arms. "Oh, Nat. I bought it for you." "You--? You *bought* it? For *me*?" She looked disbelievingly at the car. "Nick... I can't accept this. It's too..." She stopped, shaking her head. "Nat. Please. I *want* you to take it." He kissed her cheek. "Please?" Nat looked from the car to Nick. "Nick... why?" He smiled. "Nat, in all of the years I've searched for a cure, I've had dozens of people promise me what I sought... for a price. Mostly, I learned that they were after my money." He touched her face, gently. "You've never once asked me for anything. You've given and given and given. And all I've done, is take. It's time I give you something, Nat. Something tangible, by way of thanks. I know you don't expect it. But you deserve it. Please accept this small gift, as a token of my gratitude and my--" He paused. "And my love, Nat." She looked into his eyes, tears forming in her own. "Love?" She whispered. Nick nodded, then bent down to kiss her. "I love you, Nat." He told her. Nat smiled and hugged him to her. "Oh, Nick! I love you, too." He kissed her again. "So? Will you accept it? I picked it out, just for you." Nat looked apprehensively at the new car. Then she looked into Nick's impossibly blue eyes and her resistance melted. "Okay, Nick. I'll accept it. Thank you." He smiled and kissed her again. "So, wanna take it out for a test run?" Nat grinned. "Are you kidding? Of course I do!" >>END KC Smith N/NPacker with definite Dark Knightie tendencies.