Be forewarned: I am not responsible for any resulting grammar-related head explosions. If you're a stickler for syntax, best skip this one. ;) Author's notes to follow. Archive: feel free. "I Wish You Wouldn't" by Eve Because I'm supposed to be acting as your doctor. Because you could kill me with a well-placed touch. Because of the fire in your eyes. Because there is no such thing as a simple kiss. Because I am already at the mercy of your smile. Because I'm not the innocent you believe me to be. Because the phrase "just friends" leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Because the blood you drink leaves a worse taste in yours. Because you won't give up drinking it. Because loving you is one full-time occupation more than I can handle. Because one of us will try to go further. Because I'm tired of being the first to pull away. Because you honestly believe I don't remember what happened on Valentine's Day. Because you seem to like it that way. Because I don't want to be another reason for your penance. Because you're so damnably beautiful. Because I hate feeling lonely even with your arms around me. Because you tried to leave without telling me. Because it's only a matter of time before your control breaks. Because I wouldn't even try to stop you. ~~ Author's Notes: I've left the explanations to the end, because I wanted the story to stand on its own for the first reading. This was intended as an exploration of Natalie's motivation for ducking the kiss at the end of "Let No Man Tear Asunder"--although it doesn't have to be that specific kiss, it could be any kiss, any one of those little gestures of affection with which Nick is so generous. I had intended this to be a much longer piece, but after reading over it a number of times, I found that anything more felt superfluous to me. As much as I'd like to claim that the idea of writing a story entirely in dependent clauses was mine, it actually originated with a short story called "Extenuating Circumstances" by Joyce Carol Oates. I own that about as much as I own any of the FK characters, which is to say not at all. So please don't sue me, anyone.