From: Forever Knight TV show stories [FKFIC-L@lists.psu.edu] on behalf of K. C. Smith [tigrlady2u@JUNO.COM] Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2001 10:45 PM To: FKFIC-L@LISTS.PSU.EDU Subject: Halloween Reflections Part 01/01 Disclaimers: They aren’t mine; I’m just borrowing them. No infringement intended. Permission granted to archive on Mel’s fkfanfic site, Anita’s fkfanfic2 site, the ftp site and all Nick/Natpacker sites. Just a short piece of Nick/Nat Halloween Fluff. You've been warned! Enjoy! Halloween Reflections By KC Smith Natalie opened her door once again to the cheerful shouts of “Trick or Treat!” She glanced at Nick, who was holding the candy bucket, and then smiled at the assembled group of children in costume. “Well, what do we have here?” She asked, as she placed treats in each bag. “A bride, superman, a werewolf and oh! A scary vampire!” The children thanked them for the treats and headed for the next apartment. Nat grinned at Nick. “Aren’t they adorable?” She asked, as she closed the door and went back to the living room. Nick nodded. “Yeah.” He sat down and looked thoughtfully at her. Nat sensed his sudden mood change. “Nick? What’s wrong?” Nick smiled sadly. “You seem to do so well with children. You know that if we continue in this relationship as we are, the likelihood of us ever having children~” Nat shook her head. “Nick. We’ve already discussed this. I told you, I’m okay with it. You’ve tasted my blood… what does it tell you?” Nick gave her his sad smile again and nodded. “You’re right.” He said, just as the doorbell rang again. They stood together and went to pass out more treats. This time, the group consisted of one little girl dressed as Snow White, a baby that could barely walk dressed as Tigger and a pre-teenaged boy dressed in drag. After Natalie had given candy to the two small girls, she put a handful in the boy’s bag. He winked at her and sauntered after his two sisters, hips swaying exaggeratedly. Natalie looked up at Nick in astonishment. “Did he just wink at me?” Nick chuckled. “Don’t worry, I don’t think he’s your type.” Nat swatted his chest with the back of her hand, as she closed the door again. She looked at her watch. “It’s almost nine o’clock. What time did you want to catch the movie?” Nick shrugged. “Whenever you’re ready. I thought you were enjoying handing out candy to the little ones.” Nat smiled. “I am. But usually after nine, the little ones stop coming and the teenagers start arriving. Call me old fashioned, but I think they’re a bit too old for trick-or-treating.” Nick wrapped his arms around her from behind. “How old were you when you quit going out?” Nat sighed. “Eleven.” Nick pulled away and turned her to face him. “Eleven?” He frowned. “Isn’t that a little young?” Nat’s eyes took on a distant look and she shrugged slightly. “I guess. Nana said I was already much too old for it~ that she’d let me go when I was ten, only because my parent’s had insisted.” Nick was silent. He hugged her closer for a few minutes, before he spoke. “But you wanted to remain a child a little longer, didn’t you?” Nat nodded. “Yeah. No more trick-or-treating, no more Santa Claus… maybe if my parents didn’t have to work so much, things would have been different.” She shrugged and then pulled away. “People are always saying that kids grow up far too quickly nowadays… if we don’t hand out treats to the older kids, isn’t that the same as telling them it’s time to grow up~ that they are too old for a kid’s holiday? Most of them don’t believe in Santa Claus, must they give up the one part of childhood they should be able to hold onto for as long as possible?” Nick reasoned. Nat smiled at him. “You know, you’re right. I guess I’ve never really thought of it like that before.” Nick kissed her on the forehead. “Glad to help.” The doorbell rang again and Natalie opened it to see a group of teenagers standing in the hallway. “Trick or Treat!” They yelled in unison. Natalie smiled and handed out candy to each of them, as Nick grinned. “Happy Halloween!” She said to them. “Thanks!” A boy who was dressed like a scarecrow said. “Hardly anyone waits up to give us candy.” Nat smiled. “Well, I promise I’ll start, from now on. Just promise me something?” They all looked at her with expectant faces. “Promise me that you’ll enjoy every minute you have left of your childhood.” She told them. When they’d all nodded and moved on, she closed the door and hugged Nick. Nick kissed her and smiled. “I love you.” Nat grinned at him. “I love you, too.” End KC Smith tigrlady2u@juno.com "I've never met a chocolate I didn't like."