You know, I never intended to post this one, but the last few stories I posted didn't garner a whole lot of feedback, so I think I'll shake things up a bit. Flames, protests, vehement denials and demands for an explanation cheerfully awaited at mistrydder@yahoo.com. The first few sentences are a quote from 'A More Permanent Hell'. Permission granted to archive anywhere that gives me credit. Thanks to April for her kind words and encouragement. Good-byes (1/1) "'They say the ages of man are denial, awareness, and acceptance. A young man believes he will live forever. A middle-aged man knows he will not, and an old man is ready.' But why? Why should an old man be any more ready to die than a child? Allow me to offer an explanation. "A child's life is one long series of 'hello's, of learning and growing and discovering. Each new day is a joy, the chance to meet someone or learn something new. There is no doubt, no fear, no hesitation. Life is lived every second to its fullest, with the naive trust that all is permanence. Things may die or go away, but these are things that are unimportant to a child-- they didn't really know them in the first place. The first time a child must say 'good-bye' to something it truly loves, there is an irrevocable loss-- a precious, damning innocence that can never, should never, be reclaimed. "But youth is young, and shreds of that innocence yet hang on, and life is still a voyage of discovery. The child learns that for every 'hello', there will always be a 'good-bye'. It is more cautious about who and what it loves, but the heart is not yet closed. "Time passes. Lives are built. Love matures. There is a period of near silence when neither greetings nor farewells are exchanged in great quantities, though they are there, and each new pain adds a scar to a wearying heart. The aging man closes himself off, unwilling to pay the price of pain even for the joy of new love. "The 'good-bye's come thicker now, as body ages and mind dims. Precious friends take their leave, cherished ideals are cast aside, and that which was once indomitable now sits crumbling. The man sees a world that is cold and lonely, and worse, transient. And in the heart that aches with the pain of a thousand 'good-bye's that will never completely die, he perceives that the only thing that is truly permanent is sorrow. "Is it any wonder that the aged accept, even celebrate, the fact that they, too, must part this all-too mortal world? Can death, in all its uncertainty, hold any horror for those who no longer care for life?" LaCroix gently clicked off the portable mic and looked across the roof he stood upon, at the city spread at his feet, and beyond to the rosy horizon. He was nearly 2000 years old, and he had had quite enough of 'good-bye's. It was going to be a beautiful sunrise. The End "Eternal nights too short, How quickly melt away, With all the love we shared once, Forever in a Day."