Disclaimer: Nick, Nat and all the other characters and features of 'Forever Knight' belong to Sony and such. No profit or infringement was made or intended. I just like to play with other peoples things because Barney says 'Share and Care.' The song 'Close To You' belongs the Carpenters and those associated with the group. Once again this does not belong to me. This is my first fan fiction and hasn't been beta read. I would like to thank Deborah Hymon for encouraging this short piece and I hope it isn't offensive to any NNPacker's tastes, as you are its targets muhahahaha. Set in first season during 'Only the Lonely', this is the 'what if Grace had planned a proper night out' scenario. Permission given to archive if piece is deemed worthy Feedback appreciated...really! Luicia ... april 2004 **************** Closer to You by Luicia ( luicia1705@yahoo.com ) **************** The jiggling of keys informed him she was home and with his enhanced senses, he could tell she was pretty well steamed. It had been a tough week at the morgue with all the date rape murders that were occurring. It had been a tough week at the precinct too. Captain Stonetree had been less than happy about the lack of progress being made on the case and was threatening parking detail left right and center. Her assistant Grace had organized a girls night out for Natalie's birthday and since he was sexually excluded as well as working that night, he thought it would be a nice idea to stop by after his shift. But it was getting late in the morning and since Nat didn't have any blinds to protect him from the sun, he had to resort to hiding in the coat closet. 'Thankfully I fed before coming here' were the thoughts running through his head as the front door opened. It was 6 am before Nat made her way home. Grace certainly knew how to throw a party- hell why not, a girl only turned thirty once. The light dinner and floor show at one of the hottest new private clubs in Toronto had turned the reserved professional women back into fraternity girls out on a mission. While the strip show during dinner had been entertaining to say the least - the blonde stripper-cop certainly made an impression, it had been the local kareoke nightspot that had somehow made the night perfect. And though the rest of the girls had gone home to their beds, Nat was still in the mood for 'musical appreciation'. After maneuvering her jacket off herself, Natalie stumbled across the living room, banging and standing on everything in sight. "Soorry Syd," she called as her gray feline screamed in pain from his mistress stomping on his tail. Nick from his hiding spot found himself stuffing the sleeve of Nat's multicolored heart bomber jacket into his mouth to stop himself from laughing. As quietly as he could, he opened the door with the sole purpose of seeing what she'd do next. What he hadn't expected was to see the outfit she was wearing on her night off. As she searched through her CD's, the early morning light was shining a golden halo onto her loose locks of auburn hair. The black tank top shimmered as the upper layer of netting that covered it responded to the light movements her bare arms were making. And though her blue jeans were nothing special, the whole sight of her together in such an outfit did nothing to quell the feelings that had been stirring within him since her debate with Schanke over the role of dating agencies within society. She looked so carefree, a complete change from the conservative suits and sweat pants she would wear at work and at his loft. "Gotcha!" Nat startled him as she took the longed for CD from it's case and proceeded to load it into the deck. While her trek to her entertainment system had caused her aggravation, the process of playing her chosen song was completely straight forward. She grabbed the remote and headed into the kitchen to fix herself another drink. "One more before the hangover, I think!" she said to no one in particular as she sank into her soft couch on the dark side of the room and pressed play. Why do birds suddenly appear Every time you are near Just like me They long to be Close to you Karen Carpenter's haunting voice flowed from the speakers and filled the room. Nat had always loved her voice, it was so soft, so soothing yet at the same time it touched a part of her soul she never knew was there and sent a jolt of electricity straight through her. That thought didn't sit well. "Just like his does." she informed her invisible friend as she took another solemn drink. Why do stars fall down from the sky, Every time you walk by? Just like me, They long to be Close to you. And Karen had those beautiful soulful eyes, even as a woman she couldn't help but feel lost in admiration when she used to watch her on TV, and saw Karen's soul on display through the emotions she read in her brown pools "Well Nick's eyes are blue so nah!" She informed her orange wall again before she joined her icon in singing. On the day that you were born, The angels got together and decided to create a dream come true. So, they sprinkled moon dust in your hair, with gold and starlight in your eyes of blue. Lost in her own thoughts, the music blaring from her stereo as well as beginning to drift off to the land of nod, Nat failed to hear her closet door creak open. That is why all the girls in town follow you all around; Just like me, they long to be close to you As the song mellowed out to its end, Natalie found a bouquet of big suns being placed into her arms. Sleepily she looked up to find her dream come true kneeling down beside her. She smiled, only to be blessedly rewarded with the most beautiful smile she had ever seen grace his angelic face. Gently he brushed a loving hand over her flowing hair, as sleep finally claimed her for its own. "Just like me, Nat, they long to be close to you." ----,---}@ fin @{---`---- What is Love : it is the dreams of the young, the memories of the old and the air by which all others breathe.