RATING: PG-13 for some gore and ghastliness "Always My Love" AUTHOR: Timothy Saenz EMAIL: tjsaenz@comcast.net Janette was furious. The urge, the ache, quaked her body. She saw no reason to deny herself, did not want to deny herself. And that Nicola would dare to call her a "beast" was beyond toleration. Nicola - always the fool! Always trying to reason. Always trying to be - not human - righteous! How can any vampire be righteous? Vampires just do what they do to survive, much as men prey on animals. The one she had now she found in the dark, narrow alleyway wedged between two brick apartment buildings. She thought he had been peeping into one of the windows. "So you love me, Nicola? Janette asked scornfully. Nicholas knew what was coming. He held out his hands in a signal to halt, but Janette saw him pushing her. "Please, Janette. You're angry at me. Don't take it out on an innocent bystander," Nicholas implored. "Innocent!?" she shrieked, and held the prey more tightly, his neck hanging over her arms, ready to be feasted on. "So now you not only judge me, we, as evil for what we do to survive, but these humans as good! How do you know what their lives have been like? Maybe he's a killer or a molester. Maybe he abandoned his family. Maybe he hates your precious God!" "Janette, please, don't," he said more urgently, considering a leap at her, but she was quick herself, and too far away. "You said you would love me forever, Nicola. Ha! Ha! Remember? You would love me forever. I will give you a chance to prove it!" Janette's mouth ached for fulfillment. It was as if it was driven by some unknown force, a metaphysical imperative. Coupled with her anger, her eyes narrowed and gleamed even more. Her head arced back slightly. "Janette! - " She struck like a cobra but tore like a wolf. Janette's fangs dug deep into the carotid artery as Nicholas stood paralyzed, filled with guilt, for he had known better than to walk down this path with Janette again, yet he had, and someone else was paying. She drank heavily for maybe 10 seconds, then ripped her fangs across the victim's neck and sent bits of flesh flying before she released him. The body sank to the floor. Blood bubbled and flowed quietly. Janette looked up at Nicholas with ferocity and mockery. "Do you love me, my Nicola, my forever knight in shining armor?" she taunted. "Then come to me." She held her arms out to him. He remained fixed. "Kiss me, Nicola, and drink of my love!" To be continued...